• jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a lot of stuff if you put in the ingredients you have also
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    cmorehar wrote: »
    Does anyone have good recipes or types of meals they can share with me for cooking with ground turkey? For awhile I've been doing ground turkey and whole grain pasta, but I am trying to veer away from carbs later in the day now. Any help is appreciated!

Have you seen those Bird's Eye bags with the protein packed blends? I love mixing those with ground turkey. Lasts for 4-6 days in the fridge.
  • meldjk44
    meldjk44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MEATLOAF!!!
    I LOVE making meatloaf with ground turkey. I add some spinach, any color bell pepper, garlic, onions and an egg. some Panko and bbq sauce. throw that sucker in the oven for 40mins. BEST meatloaf ever!!!!!!!
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Southwestern-Flavored Ground Beef or Turkey

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
    1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup cornmeal

Directions
    *Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet until shimmering.
    *Add onion; saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
    *Add garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
    *Add beef or turkey and cook, stirring often, until it loses its raw color.
    *Stir in tomatoes; simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
    *Add salt and pepper, to taste.
    *Stir in cornmeal; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens, almost instantly.
    Cool and refrigerate (or serve warm for dinner as tacos or taco salad).
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn’t sound appetizing but it is really good. It’s called GLOP. Lol. It stands for get lots of protein. You cook ground turkey and then mix in 8oz cottage cheese and 16oz jar salsa. The original recipe also calls for brown rice mixed in but I’m not a fan of rice. It doesn’t look pretty but tastes really good! I’m actually making it tonight.

After you add the cottage cheese and salsa, do you heat it through?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like turkey chili with black beans.

https://pin.it/djeru5dop5cjhj
  • cmorehar
    cmorehar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone, I'm definitely going to try these out!
  • lasuarez165
    lasuarez165 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! You can use ground turkey to make meatballs, burgers, tacos, wraps... there are a lot of ideas to use this kind of protein source. Just keep in mind the portions as ground turkey usually contains a lot of fat.(As long as they fit in your macros...)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I like turkey chili with black beans.

https://pin.it/djeru5dop5cjhj

Seconding the recommendation for turkey chili with black beans. I like turkey pumpkin chili with black beans. Taco seasoning (or cumin and chili powder, garlic), green salsa, turkey, canned pumpkin, black beans, a V8, onions and yellow bell pepper.

You can buy ground turkey at different levels of leanness if you're concerned about fat.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I second all suggestions of using ground turkey as a substitution for ground beef in recipes.

I make turkey meatloaf/turkey burgers using a different herb/seasoning mix than my beef versions about 1/2 the time (the rest of the time, I use my beef meatloaf seasonings approach or a Tex-Mex flavorings approach). I use both Litehouse dried herbs poultry mix as well as the ground McCormick poultry spice (with minced onion, minced celery, panko, egg, S&P [lite on the salt], dash of cayenne or hot sauce, and whatever else strikes my fancy that night). See picture below; I was rushed this last week and only rough-chopped the onions and celery, but the chunkiness made a nice burger anyway. Made roasted brussels sprouts as one side.

Another fairly low carb dish, and I would need to dig out a proper recipe for it (I usually wing it), is to make "turkey eggplant boats" - see below picture. Carve out the eggplant, cook up a thick, turkey-based Italian-style red sauce (I often make my own) - including the carved-out eggplant chunks and other veggies/mushrooms you want to add. When the sauce [filling, actually - "sauce" sounds too thin] comes together, spoon it into the carved eggplant shells, bake until nearly done, remove and top with a little cheese, and bake until browned.

82aah3zol3pa.jpg

yfxei9hljorw.jpg