Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    slifter16 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Not only better, really it's all that works. The saying "if it works, it ain't legal, and if it's legal it doesn't work" is very, very true. Save your c ash for new clothes when you lose it the simple, natural way ;)
    Thanks for the inspiration! This is my like 100th time on my weight loss journey and I’m just following the group and I’m not really sure what even works for ME

It's likely your 100th time trying to lose weight because you look for quick fixes and miracle products to get results.

Consistently eat at a calorie deficit (a sensible one, not a massive one thatll likely lead to binges) and you'll succeed. Don't be restrictive with your food choices - "strict but not restricted"!

So this may sound weird but, how am I supposed to eat healthy then. Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay in my calerie count for the day?

Yes!

Isn't that freeing! :)

But you will discover that certain foods have good staying power ... they keep you full longer. And other foods seem to leave you hungry again 30 minutes later. You may want to eat the foods that keep you full longer mostly, and keep the other foods for occasional use.

For example, for me, pears have a lot more calories than I thought, and I'm ravenous again in about 30 min when I eat them. So unfortunately, as much as I like pears, they aren't a particularly good choice for me.

However, for me, my lunch of brown rice, chicken and veggies does keep me full for a decent amount of time.

You'll have to find out what works for you.
    I like this bit of information! I always thought it was STRICT no SWEETS NO CARBS PERIOD and all I hear about is a Keto Diet, or a Green smoothie 10 day cleanse and I’m just extremely overwhelmed trying to fit in I guess that what you can call it, but not knowing what’s best for me is pure agony!

All these commercial diet plans want you to THINK that you NEED them. That's how they make their money. They want people to fail, or at least to see themselves as failures, so they become dependent on others instead of taking personal control. And people fall for it, reinforce it through like-minded friends, and just keep coming back for more. These companies don't want you to know that you can do it all without them. Because then they'd be out of business.

It's not complicated once you learn how to do it. It just takes consistency and patience. After awhile, it becomes habit. This is not a race. Think of it as a life-long pursuit - some people call it a permanent lifestyle change. It's not a temporary solution. My healthy habits are just the way I live my life. You can do it. <3
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    So yes, you can do sport as it gives you a few more calories to eat. But it's not necessary. I do work out, mainly do strength training as it preserves muscles. Muscles are good.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Think of it this way: Food is like petrol.

You buy a jerrycan full of petrol for your mower but your mower is still full and you don't need to mow because the grass is not growing. Thus you put the full jerrycan somewhere and leave it there. Having too much petrol is like having too much food: your body stores food as fat and you store the extra petrol for later as well.

Then suddenly the grass starts to grow and your neighbours start talking that you should really keep your garden more tidy. Thus you start mowing and the petrol in the tank goes lower but you still have the petrol in the jerrycan, so you constantly fill the tank up with the petrol from the jerrycan and the tank in the mower remains kind of full. This is similar to eating the right amount of food for neither losing nor gaining.

Now you have a neat garden.

But then the grass starts growing again. The tank in your mower is still full, but the jerrycan empty. So you get the mower out and start mowing. The petrol in the tank gets less and you don't fill it up anymore because you don't have more petrol. Ooops! You just about manage to mow your garden but now you have less petrol in the mower than when you started as you don't fill it up anymore. This is similar to eating less food than your body needs: you lose weight and you lose petrol in the mower as you don't fill it up again.

Now imagine you do the same at cold temperatures and at warm temperatures. The mower doesn't care. It still uses the same amount of petrol. The same is true pretty much for your body: it doesn't matter how much you sweat. You still need the same amount of food for gaining, losing or maintaining weight.

(yes, I do feel a bit odd today)

So the overall information that I’ve learned from this discussion board thing is, quick easy weigh loss fixes is a bunch of BULL right? I’m just wasting money doing these diets and getting these books and supplements when all I have to do is just exercise constantly and stay within my daily calorie limit?

Exactly. You can put a few sprinkles of a herb mix on your mower, or a wrap around it. It wont do anything about how it uses the energy. Things that influence how the energy is used require a mechanic (or a special prescription from a doctor).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to force my body to sweat more than it does naturally. I already trend towards low blood pressure, and dehydration and loss of electrolytes makes it even worse. Want to pass out on a hot day? Wearing a waist trainer also makes your core even weaker because your muscles are being supported by the wrap instead of them working to stabilize your body.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Anything that promises quick results with no effort for weightloss is woo.

It plays to your wishful thinking. That there is a short cut to weight loss. There is not. Even weight loss surgery isn't a quick or even guaranteed fix.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just math. You have to eat fewer calories than you burn. That's all.

When it comes to weight loss, there are absolutely no restrictions on what foods you get those calories from. None. You want to eat your entire day's calorie allowance's worth of ice cream? Go for it. As long as you're still within your calorie budget, you'll lose weight.

You might not feel very good after eating that much ice cream, and you probably wouldn't get all the nutrients you need. But you would lose weight. If you are concerned about specific nutrients, then you will need to think more carefully about what you eat. If you only care about weight loss, eat whatever you want as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal.

This means you don't have to eat low carb, keto, whatever, unless you just want to. If a "diet" works, it's only because it caused you to eat fewer calories than you burn. There is nothing else to it than that.

This also means that if you exercise, you get to eat more, because it adds more to the "calories burned" side of the equation. But if you don't exercise, that's okay too. You can still lose weight, but you won't be able to eat as much while losing.

Almost nothing marketed as a weight loss product works, because these things generally do little or nothing to increase the calories you burn or decrease the calories you eat. For perspective: a 200 pound person will burn about 50 calories walking half a mile. Think about the time and effort it takes to walk half a mile. It doesn't make sense that some product that doesn't significantly increase the time or effort spent exercising will result in burning any noticeable additional calories.

I think that all of this is freeing. You don't have to buy any special products. You don't have to make yourself eat food you don't like. You don't have to worry about what food is "healthier" than another, and you don't have to deprive yourself of the foods you like. You don't have to search for which diet is the "right" one.

What you do have to do is straightforward: set your calorie goal, consistently eat close to it without going over, and continue doing that. Be patient. We didn't gain weight overnight; we don't lose it overnight either.

I wrote a *lot* more about this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/apullum/view/what-s-your-secret-944724
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Both pointless AND dangerous.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    It Works is notorious for stealing people's before and after photos and saying it was because of the wraps. They're dodgy as hell.

This is the truth. My sister in law used to sell their crap. All she wanted was to sell enough junk to get a trip to Paris. Then she quit the stuff. It's total BS. Save your money for yummy food and count your calories. It's math. Basic 3rd grade math.THAT works.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Wraps are a complete waste of money in the long run. They will however help you sweat off some pounds and maybe an inch or two. If you have an outfit that is just a tad snug and you want it to fit nicer for a special occasion - do a wrap. Just don't expect lasting results (on the weight or the inches).

As to what works for you - it's the same thing that works for all of us. Expend more calories than you consume, don't look for a quick fix, and choose your health first. MFP gives you the tools you need - I'm down 150 lbs.

"Sweating off pounds" is potentially very dangerous. Your body is very good at sweating enough to control its temperature. Causing yourself to sweat excessively can lead to dehydration, and attempting to hold in excess heat/sweat can lead to overheating, even heat stroke. Trying to sweat out excess water weight is NOT a safe weight loss strategy. Don't encourage people to do it.
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not only better, really it's all that works. The saying "if it works, it ain't legal, and if it's legal it doesn't work" is very, very true. Save your c ash for new clothes when you lose it the simple, natural way ;)
    Thanks for the inspiration! This is my like 100th time on my weight loss journey and I’m just following the group and I’m not really sure what even works for ME

It's likely your 100th time trying to lose weight because you look for quick fixes and miracle products to get results.

Consistently eat at a calorie deficit (a sensible one, not a massive one thatll likely lead to binges) and you'll succeed. Don't be restrictive with your food choices - "strict but not restricted"!

So this may sound weird but, how am I supposed to eat healthy then. Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay in my calerie count for the day? Or does it have to be filled with lean meats and Raw veggies and protein this and protein that. I’m just starting but sometimes I feel to overwhelmed and I give up. I just bought a air fryer to start myself off, so I don’t have to use grease in any of my food. I’ve been baking chicken and trying to find healthy and DELICIOUS recipes that don’t taste like *kitten*. Sometimes I won’t eat an entire day so I can have a lot of caleries left so I can eat a whole pizza at dinner time.

So far I have lost 45 pounds eating whatever I wanted that fit in my calories (and I started eating back more of my "exercise calories", great motivation to work out a bit more! I have found that the longer I stay at my calories the easier it gets to choose more healthy options. I am a bit of a foodie so plain baked chicken and steamed veg was never in the cards for me. You have to make changes that you can keep up in the long term. Nothing is worse than regaining weight after you lose it. But there are a lot of low cal options to boost flavor too. I tend to divide 500-600 calories between breakfast and lunch and save another 600-800 for dinner because that is my favorite meal. It is definitely doable. Just log everything!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    TheDon2018 wrote: »
    I've tried all these hype trends. All it does is speed up losing water weight and u can do that by drinking a good amount of water on a daily <3

Sorry but wouldn’t consuming more water ultimately lead to having more weight due to water?
  • slifter16
    slifter16 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I've tried all these hype trends. All it does is speed up losing water weight and u can do that by drinking a good amount of water on a daily <3

Sorry but wouldn’t consuming more water ultimately lead to having more weight due to water?
    I hope not because I drink a gallon of water a day
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Nope, you retain water when you're not getting enough water, ironically. Hydrate properly, and you flush out the retained water.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Nope, you retain water when you're not getting enough water, ironically. Hydrate properly, and you flush out the retained water.

I’m referring to someone who exercises regularly. There’s a reason bodybuilder cut out sodium and water prior to competitions.

Decreasing your sodium intake would definitely help with water weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I’m referring to someone who exercises regularly. There’s a reason bodybuilder cut out sodium and water prior to competitions.

Decreasing your sodium intake would definitely help with water weight.

Bodybuilders do various things.... Water loading (not reducing) up to the day of comp is common, cutting sodium can be a risk as doing it too early or for too long can lead to water retention. Many don't mess around with water or salt, and if they need to use the excuse "I look bad because I'm holding fluid" it's probably because they're too fat! ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Actually, when I'm bloated and retaining water (I can tell because my ankle bones disappear, especially in my left ankle) ... I cut back a little on water and take an electrolyte pill. That seems to get things moving.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    There is NO QUICK FIX, FAT TARGETING, PILL, TEA, WRAP, CORSET I mean Waist Trainer IE squeeze your guts, ribs into a more tapered spot to give the APPEARANCE that your slimmer............. ITs all designed as QUICK FIX or GET RICH QUICK schemes.

21 days to establish a Habitual Pattern aka Habit

6-8 weeks for change to occur

12 weeks for YOU to see those changes.

Only tried true way to lose weight is burn more calories then you put in.

When you consume food, eat to REFUEL not feed yourself.

You body is a machine, a glucose burning machine! FUEL IT properly and it will perform optimally.

Embrace the fitness journey, the roller coaster of ups and downs. Dig in on the Up Hill (hard times), Embrace the down hills (easy times).

You know how quitting looks and feels, Imagine how youll look and feel in 6-8-10-12-14-16..... weeks!
  • slifter16
    slifter16 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    JDMac82 wrote: »
    There is NO QUICK FIX, FAT TARGETING, PILL, TEA, WRAP, CORSET I mean Waist Trainer IE squeeze your guts, ribs into a more tapered spot to give the APPEARANCE that your slimmer............. ITs all designed as QUICK FIX or GET RICH QUICK schemes.

21 days to establish a Habitual Pattern aka Habit

6-8 weeks for change to occur

12 weeks for YOU to see those changes.

Only tried true way to lose weight is burn more calories then you put in.

When you consume food, eat to REFUEL not feed yourself.

You body is a machine, a glucose burning machine! FUEL IT properly and it will perform optimally.

Embrace the fitness journey, the roller coaster of ups and downs. Dig in on the Up Hill (hard times), Embrace the down hills (easy times).

You know how quitting looks and feels, Imagine how youll look and feel in 6-8-10-12-14-16..... weeks!
    That really inspired me!