Help with vegetarian diet

Options
Sorry if I posted this on the wrong board.
I'm a vegetarian, but a very unhealthy one. I've never had issues with my weight until last year. I struggle to eat fruit/vegetables and I never have time to cook so I mostly snack. I can't find any active groups that would be able to help.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow vegetarian! You should definitely check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • Xypher2
    Xypher2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try asking there.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    Do you have specific questions that you'd like to ask? I'd be happy to answer any that I can in this thread.
  • Xypher2
    Options
    I posted more details in the group but I'm mostly looking for recipes that require very little preparation/cooking that are filling and won't make me rely on snacks.
  • Xypher2
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. I don't have access to a kitchen often but I think I'll be able to make some of them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Xypher2 wrote: »
    I posted more details in the group but I'm mostly looking for recipes that require very little preparation/cooking that are filling and won't make me rely on snacks.

I am a vegan who likes cooking, but if I didn't like it, I think I would have most of my meals center around canned beans (making quick chili or bean burritos), potatoes topped with baked beans or canned lentil soup, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and pasta tossed with frozen vegetables, canned beans, and some tomato sauce.

• AliceDark
    Options

I am a vegan who likes cooking, but if I didn't like it, I think I would have most of my meals center around canned beans (making quick chili or bean burritos), potatoes topped with baked beans or canned lentil soup, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and pasta tossed with frozen vegetables, canned beans, and some tomato sauce.

This was basically my diet in grad school. I'd batch cook brown rice and beans in a crock pot once a week, then sort of assemble my meals throughout the week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

This was basically my diet in grad school. I'd batch cook brown rice and beans in a crock pot once a week, then sort of assemble my meals throughout the week.

Yes, OP, the Crockpot is a lifesaver if you hate cooking. You can make big batches of beans and grains and eat them for a week. If getting more vegetables is something you want, you can add frozen vegetables or chopped greens to round out the meals.
  • Xypher2
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, I will look into getting one of those.
  • Xypher2
    Options
    Just thought I'd give an update.. I've never made rice before and the brown rice came out horrible and dry, just like brown bread, though I'll try again at some point. Still can't cook much so I've taken to mostly eating plain rice cakes, small nut packs and vegan protein bars.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave and a freezer?
  • Xypher2
    Options
    I do have a microwave on hand, but also only a mini fridge, not a freezer.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the rice cakes with peanut butter sometimes <3
    Brown and white rice have almost the same nutritional profile. Eating the white is fine. Have you tried canned soups— lentil, also pea soup? : :) I buy canned chic peas, rinse them, and eat them cold.
    I also buy tofu and eat it raw when I do not feel like cooking. You do not have to worry about fridge space of course if you eat the food when you bring it home.
    Loook in the canned food isles for foods that could work for you.
    :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There are some pretty good packaged rice and beans options -- just add oil if you want (I never did) and boil in water, comes with pre added spices. I'd add sauteed vegetables (and feta cheese) -- this is what I lived on in my 20s when I didn't really cook and was a vegetarian.

If you have access to a kitchen occasionally you could try making one and see if you like them, there are a bunch of different kinds. I think you boil and then simmer for a while, not too long. You could batch cook and keep a bowl in the refrigerator and microwave it.

Another thing I ate a bunch back then were those pre-packaged salads, although now I'd add some kind of vegetarian protein to them (I didn't then, but I didn't focus much on nutrition then). Might work as a side. If you have a grocery store near you there might be decent salad bar options to get a big salad and keep it in the refrigerator.
  • Xypher2
    Options
    I'd forgotten you could buy rice packs for the microwave, I only ever used pasta. Thanks for the ideas.
    I have a bearded dragon so I always have some veg packs in my mini fridge, I guess I'll start sharing with him lol.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had a terrible veg diet too and don’t really cook. Now I still eat out a lot but I order things besides pizza or other cheese/bread combos. Pret has fabulous soups, chipotle rice bowls, subway veg delite or patties, cosi light salad w/tofu... I also recommend meat alternatives, especially Quorn. These meat alternatives tend to be high in sodium but high in protein and low cal. With fake ground beef you can make tacos or spaghetti with fake meat sauce, or throw in some fake meatballs. I also love Spanish rice-a-Roni with diced tomatoes and tofu. I also snack on nuts and drink Jamba Juice smoothies with two shots of soy or whey protein.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'd forgotten you could buy rice packs for the microwave, I only ever used pasta. Thanks for the ideas.
    I have a bearded dragon so I always have some veg packs in my mini fridge, I guess I'll start sharing with him lol.

We use the Uncle Ben's microwavable rice a lot. Just tear open part of the top, microwave for 90 seconds, and it comes out great every time. I highly doubt I would even eat rice if I had to cook/steam it all of the time :) Gotta make sure you open a little to vent prior to microwaving. I have forgotten a couple of times, and it can explode!
  • readytoleave6393
    Options
    Vegetarians add me! :)
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I try to make vegetarian versions of the meat-based dishes I make for my husband and son. For example, I do lots of chilis or curries loaded with vegetables. I find that I will eat 1/4 of it and then freeze the other 3/4 so that I have rotating meal options in my freezer and at all times. I also have a six month old daughter, so it's really useful for days when I don't feel like cooking. For the "meat substitute," I've recently been adding bulgar wheat. It gives the chili a nice texture.

Like @AliceDark, I roast veggies in the oven and then eat them with quinoa or wild rice with an orange vinaigrette.