OMG... I'm banning....

Options
2»

Replies

• giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE the Subway Veggie Delight on a wrap. It's only 230 calories and loaded up with veggies. I get every veggie they have except onions and they are huge and fillig. I could live off of those things!
  • happymom1197
    Options
    Am I the only one that gets a salad at subway? Just like any fast food place, they do have healthier options, you just have to ask!!!! I usually get a roasted chicken breast salad, no cheese, loaded with veggies & jalapeños. A little salt & pepper & maybe a squeeze of lemon juice & I am set:) Another healthier option is to ask the sandwich maker to scoop out the inside of the bread. That makes a bigger cavity in your sandwich for veggies!!!! :p yum yum
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The high sodium is mostly from the bread. If you look at the low sodium options like the Roast beef, the chicken breast, The veggie. they are all still high in sodium. Dont think your being healthy by getting a flat bread. Its actually higher then the regular bread.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Where do people get this idea that sodium is unhealthy? Unless you have other health issues sodium isn't unhealthy at all and Subway certainly wouldn't be bad for you that way. However, if you are concerned bith retaining water you should have simply not eaten the chips.

Most subs fit just fine as far as sodium intake goes, the Oven roasted chicke sub only has 640, so that's less than a third of the 2300mg per day the mayo clinic suggests. Don't blame Subway, you can watch the sodium intake the rest of the day to compesate. However, it is less than 1/3 of the Mayo RDA and the rest of the low fat subs are right around 1/3, so they are balanced for a three meal per day diet.
  • wam326
    wam326 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lol, I love Subway! But it is expensive...although it can be healthy if you get the right things. No chips though :( Besides, they are filled with artificial additives and food colorings...mucho bad...
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You can't beat their salads, very filling and yummy and low cal.

But i banned subway over a month ago for a non food related reason so I no longer eat there anyways.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Ok, so maybe I won't ban it for the sodium. I'll try not to eat the chips from now on. I had the buffalo chicken and it had 1300mg sodium. I just thought that was a lot, and then the baked chips have a good bit, too. Maybe next time I'll get a salad, the only thing with that is my IBS, it tends to act up on salad alone with no starch to go with it.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Ok, so maybe I won't ban it for the sodium. I'll try not to eat the chips from now on. I had the buffalo chicken and it had 1300mg sodium. I just thought that was a lot, and then the baked chips have a good bit, too. Maybe next time I'll get a salad, the only thing with that is my IBS, it tends to act up on salad alone with no starch to go with it.

It's like anything else, you cannot just assume everything is healthy. You have to look up the nutrition info first and make a good choice. Subway has several healthy choices inspite of what the organic/atrficial sweetener/sodium crazies around hear say. Not all of their subs are healthy but they have more healthy options than most places.
  • bethy0316
    Options
    Subway Salads are YYYYUUUUMMMYYY!!! mmmmmmmmmmm, nom nom nom :laugh:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I think most of the veggies are preserved with a good bit of sodium as well, though. I try to pack them on there anyway to get an extra veggie!

What makes you say this? A family friend of mine owns a Subway franchise and they most definitely do not "preserve" their veggies with salt... The added sodium comes from the deli meats, pickles, and dressings. (And I'm not sure about the sodium in the bread.) And like everything, sodium is fine in moderation, but all those things together definitely add up. But I'm not sure why you would claim that they add sodium to their non-pickled vegetables...

And I'm not sure why my response came out inside the quote! One day I will get this right!!
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I got the buffalo chicken with banana peppers, spinach, pickles,, tomatoes, and mustard. I ALWAYS get the baked chips. The fried chips hurt my tummy. :( I think most of the veggies are preserved with a good bit of sodium as well, though. I try to pack them on there anyway to get an extra veggie!

It is usually my go to fast food, but so is Wendy's chilli! It seems better to me!

At least, I didn't eat the FRIED chicken on a stick or tater logs or chicken strips or pizza sticks from the convenient store!

Sodium isn't the end of the world. There's a lot of days I go way over on sodium and only a few days I stay under 2000 mg. There are long term effects to worry about, but if you are drinking plenty of water in the day, the effects are very temporary. Also, if you exercise and sweat, you lose a LOT of sodium.

For that sandwich, realize that buffalo sauce (and most spicy things) almost always have a lot of sodium. Banana peppers, mustard, and pickles are also generally loaded with sodium.