Eating under ‘goal’ calories

Options
Hi guys.
I have had “700” calories left from my total calories ‘goal’
I’m trying to lose weight - so should I be still aiming for that goal? Or under? I’m confused as to how it works because I’m eating less obviously.. as I’m trying to lose weight not gain it

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You should hit your target, but for real, so you have to log correctly too, or else it's easy to exceed it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Aim for it, your goal already includes your calorie deficit just be wary about exercise calories as they may be a little overestimated but you can find out how accurate they are by sticking to your calorie allowance, logging food accurately and choosing a fixed percentage of them to eat back and reviewing you weight loss over a period of around 4 weeks. You definitely don't want to be in a position where you have 700 calories left on a regular basis.

9f0p7xo6w81s.jpg
  • patricerafferty
    patricerafferty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for the reply. I understand that! I’m just generally full up and don’t want to start eating for the sake of it just to reach that goal lol :neutral:
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake? With a food scale? Or measuring cups?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Not being hungry doesn't necessarily mean she is logging inaccurately maybe she is eating alot of protein rich food which is keeping her fuller for longer I can be under my calories and not be hungry and I use a food scale and log everything
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It depends whether those are your initial calories or extra calories added for exercise. Many people only eat back half their exercise calories.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everything posted above, but I'd also add that maybe you eat below your goal but the next you eat above your goal. Average it out over the week! But mostly, make sure you're logging correctly and honestly!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    Not being hungry doesn't necessarily mean she is logging inaccurately maybe she is eating alot of protein rich food which is keeping her fuller for longer I can be under my calories and not be hungry and I use a food scale and log everything

Fat free fiberous foods are also filling for some people, but 5 cups of broccoli (for lunch) wouldn't provide a whole lot of nutrition.

"Not being hungry" isn't an indicator of adequate nutrition.

OP if you are logging accurately - what macros (protein, fat, carbs) are you missing out on? Dietary fat is calorie dense and an necessary for many bodily functions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you're having a "not hungry" day, it's entirely okay to save these calories for tomorrow, or for a day this week where you expect to eat a higher calorie meal. It becomes a problem if you keep undereating consistently. You'd be doing your health a disservice. Eating for the sake of eating in a controlled manner is a better habit than undereating.