Visiting NOLA

Options
I'm visiting New Orleans for the first time later this month (but not for Mardi Gras- not my scene). My foodie friends are planning on going allllll out. But, I intend on trying little bits of a variety of things. I hope to log everything as accurate as possible while guesstimating, even if I go over or it may not be completely accurate. This way, I'll still be mindful and won't break my habit.

What is your advice for staying on track while still embracing a new city? What foods should I try? What is overrated and can be skipped?

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I never thought any food in New Orleans was overrated. Everything was great! Etouffee, gumbo, po boys, fresh seafood, beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde, there was nothing I regretted eating. There are traditional, pricey restaurants that should be experienced at least once in a lifetime if you have the funds. Commander's Palace. Breakfast at Brennans. But even the cheap eats were unfailingly excellent. I don't know that I would bother tracking in New Orleans as one of my favorite activities while traveling is trying local cuisines. Good luck and have fun!
  • CoffeeAndWanderlust
    Options
    I definitely intend on embracing it all (in moderation), but I am afraid if I don't log (the good, the bad, and the ugly) that it'll be hard to get back in the habit.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, and I visited New Orleans last October. I loved the food. We did lunch at Commanders Palace and it was one of the best meals I ever had. Other than that, I really liked gumbo, fried oysters, aligator bites, muffuletas...food was delicious.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Walk as much you can and work out (in your hotels). Say yes to whichever looks good. Remain satiated, but never stuffed!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My favourite City in the world. Walk lots, but don't miss out.
  • klr1981
    klr1981 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My favorite city too!! Really, the food and drink shouldn’t be missed. Maybe up your exercise and just mind your portions- eat until you’re 80% full. Have fun!!! Tell NOLA I said I miss her!
  • klr1981
    klr1981 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definitely intend on embracing it all (in moderation), but I am afraid if I don't log (the good, the bad, and the ugly) that it'll be hard to get back in the habit.

Definitely log it all, but also make sure you track your steps. You can still enjoy but logging might help make you more mindful. Then when it’s over you won’t be guessing how much damage you actually did, because your mind is what’s gonna mess you up the most. Log it so you have the data
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’ve visited several times and ate very well. Personally, i think you should try a little of everything but only go back for the things you really love. For example, I found the Hurricanes to be terribly sweet so I only had one. I also found that the bread was not so nice (po boys, etc), so I tried them, but didn’t go back more more or pushed the bread aside. In contrast, I couldn’t get enough fried green tomatoes and ordered them multiple times.

Another thing - the servings tend to be shockingly gigantic, so consider sharing as much as possible. Have cups instead of bowls of certain dishes, too.

I agree that you can walk everywhere and I never miss a workout in the hotel gym or a run outdoors, if that’s an option for you. Enjoy!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was in NOLA last month - I decided not to track anything. I just enjoyed the city and all the uniqueness that it had to offer. I did do a lot of samplers, appetizers and cups (rather than bowls) of soup to avoid going overboard on trying all the different food.

Surreys on the American side was amazing! It’s on Magazine - we were only in NOLA for 72 hours and managed to eat there twice because it was just that good.

Enjoy the experience!