Ankle Sprain - Recovery?

Options
Somehow, and I really don't know how, I've sprained my right ankle. I didn't have a moment where I hurt it badly, as far as I remember. I just went to sit cross-legged one day and couldn't because it was so painful.

I ignored it for the first four days, but it was getting worse. I could cross my legs but I was getting spasms of pain around my ankle, up into my leg and down into the top and side of my foot. I gave in and went to the doctor, but she didn't even bother to look at it; just told me to rest it and keep a support on it when I can't rest it. That was it!

When I got home I was livid, so I called my chiropractor and she saw me yesterday. After examining it, she said it was sprained and inside it was all squishy and swollen. The movement ws also impaired because the joint had gotten stuck. She did some work on it and it's moving okay again but the pain is still bad, off and on. She told me to ice it 4 times a day, for 10 minutes each time, keep it elevated as much as possible and try to rest whenever I can.

The thing is, I was just starting to really get into exercising again and I'm feeling really resentful about all this!! Does anyone know how long it might be before I can start exercising again??? I've never sprained anything before.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I had a runner friend out for about 12 weeks with a sprained ankle.

You want to make sure it's fully recovered before starting exercise again so it doesnt becone a weak spot.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well the advice from your doctor is more meaningful than the advice from your chiropractor. Given that it's more than 5 days since the injury, icing and elevation are a waste of time.

Anyway, last year when I sprained my ankle running I had to reduce training for about six weeks. I was limited to my turbo trainer, which helped keep me moving and work the ankle with low impact.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sprained ankles can be very individual in terms of healing time and in terms of what exercises you can do. Last time I sprained mine, I was in an air cast for 4 months. The doctor said I'd have probably recovered faster from a broken ankle as opposed to the very bad sprain! For me, walking was the best as well as stretching and basic physical therapy exercises. Took about 6 months - but I wasn't fit to start with so my recovery was longer than someone who already runs/trains.
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I sprained my ankle pretty badly in mid December and return to working out next week. It’s been frustrating since I finally found a work out I loved. I probably could have gone back last week, but wanted to let it fully recover since it has still been occasionally tender. Ankle sprains really vary in degree so recovery times vary too. If you’re swollen I recommend immersion in ice water for 15 minutes. Painful but effective.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Train around the injury. Seated workouts. Work those arms and core. Rest the ankle and keep going to the chiro if that is working for you.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I slipped on snow covered ice yesterday and somehow managed to sprain my ankle despite extremely supportive "snow sneakers." I was actually more concerned at the time with the bounce my head took off the pavement, but it turns out the ankle injury is the one that's gonna be the challenge. The ice recommendation helps the first day or two with swelling and inflammation, along with an NSAID such as ibuprofen, which also serves to keep inflammation and swelling down. After that, ice is contraindicated because it decreases blood flow to the area. NSAIDs may be helpful for pain and don't impede healing for strains and sprains as they do with fractures, but actually pain is a helpful reminder to forgo excessive movement. Keeping your foot elevated will probably make you more comfortable.

With regard to exercise ... my plan is to forgo squats and deadlifts for a while, to do planks from a ball whereupon I can rest shins until I can plank the usual way pain-free, continue to work on incline push ups with the added challenge of supporting on one foot, and variations of bench presses/seated cable rows.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Very individually. May take from few days to 3 or even 6 months. I had mine 90 days sharp. But the good news is u don't have to wait that long, alwais u can find moves for upper part of the body or adopt any of your favorites to your personal needs. Cardio u can perform on the raw machine as long as u want, if ankle OK; pull ups, push ups, planks and many others all for u. Don' t feel deprived and don't stay on side lane. Good luck!
  • hotchiccy
    hotchiccy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

It's not a really bad sprain, I think. There was no bruising and no obvious swelling, just an awful lot of pain. But I've actually never sprained an ankle before and I haven't known what to expect at all! I did go to the gym last week and just do an upper body workout (before I'd been told it was a sprain) but I did a warm up on the rowing machine first and I think that might have been a mistake because it REALLY hurt after that!

Right now, weirdly, the only problem I have is these cramping pains I get in the front and right side of my ankle, into the top and arch of my foot and up into my shin.

Just a couple of questions...

is the clicking normal?? When I change my direction sometimes and forget to be careful, I get this crunchy, grinding sensation.

Are there exercises I'm meant to be doing or activities I'm meant to be avoiding? And do the exercises start once the pain has completely stopped or can I start them now the pain is a little better?