Natural yeast: calories or not?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
You can't create energy out of nothing.

Yet yeast has calories, actually quite a lot. I thought about making injera bread the traditional way, letting the dough ferment for a couple of days until yeast develops naturally.

Surely this would not increase the calories of the ingredients I put into the bowl, or does it? Anyone knows more?

Replies

• Psychopasta
    Psychopasta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think the fermenting of the dough will modify the calories significantly, though it would be good to test that theory. The yeast itself doesn't have many calories, and the fermenting just produces CO2 to aerate the dough. Without having actually done the experiment, my belief is that there will be no significant calory change between 1 lb of ingredients and 1lb of cooked bread.
  • Psychopasta
    Psychopasta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Same logic would apply to beer as well :) Anyone know if fully brewed beer is more or less calorific than its ingredients?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. That's my thought as well. Though when fermenting the dough there's a substantial amount of 'muck' on the mix, see: https://www.daringgourmet.com/authentic-injera-ethiopian-flatbread/

But yes, I guess it's just a function of bacteria and 'stuff' from bread.