Positive Coping Strategies?

Options
2»

Replies

• Makingchanges17
    Makingchanges17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Echo the prep/plan comments. Need to integrate relaxation techniques; prayer, meditation, presence what ever you prefer to call it. Exercise helps allot. You have to plan and schedule that too. Might mean finding ways to workout if you can’t get to the gym. Manage Stress, don’t manage you.

Scheduling is something I need to start doing!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,969 Member
    Options
    There are some really nice guided meditations. I particularly like the ones by Jason Stephenson. (Just Google him or "guided meditations for stress/anxiety", etc.)

Regarding the essential oils, a co-worker just bought a cool mist humidifier that you can add essential oils to AND it changes color (7 colors). We're loving it. She got it from Amazon for less than $20.

Walking, sitting in nature, sipping a cup of tea, taking a hot bath. Also, if you enjoy it, something like knitting, crocheting, coloring or jigsaw/word search puzzles can be relaxing.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Zumba classes, and walks or runs outside. These activities get me out of my head and relieve stress. I totally have to disengage from the source of whatever is bugging me. I sometimes call my friend and we go for a long hike nearby, and chatting and listening to each other is pretty great, too.
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    There are some really nice guided meditations. I particularly like the ones by Jason Stephenson. (Just Google him or "guided meditations for stress/anxiety", etc.)

Regarding the essential oils, a co-worker just bought a cool mist humidifier that you can add essential oils to AND it changes color (7 colors). We're loving it. She got it from Amazon for less than $20.

Walking, sitting in nature, sipping a cup of tea, taking a hot bath. Also, if you enjoy it, something like knitting, crocheting, coloring or jigsaw/word search puzzles can be relaxing.

Thank you for all these ideas! I'm definitely going to Google him! And that's a good price for a cool mist humidifier that can use essential oils!

Ohhh, a both types of puzzles sound like a good plan! Thank you!!!
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    Zumba classes, and walks or runs outside. These activities get me out of my head and relieve stress. I totally have to disengage from the source of whatever is bugging me. I sometimes call my friend and we go for a long hike nearby, and chatting and listening to each other is pretty great, too.

Once it gets warmer out (I'm in Minnesota and it's brutal at the moment lol) I plan on going on a lot of walks! Thank you so much!
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Let some friends know about your struggles, and ask if it’s ok to call them when you’re feeling stressed. Sometimes just a quick 2-minute chat with someone who cares about you and is rooting for you is enough of an emotional boost to push you past the need to eat for emotional comfort.
  • appalachian_gigi
    appalachian_gigi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. I’m glad that you see that you need to find positive coping skills because that’s huge! I lost my dad to cancer when I was 17 and had all sorts of terrible ones, but in the opposite direction as yours! I ate and ate and ate. Anyway, working on that! What I found was healthy that helped are walking, gardening, and spending time journaling my thoughts. Hope this helps and if you need to talk you can message me. Best wishes and positive vibes!
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. I’m glad that you see that you need to find positive coping skills because that’s huge! I lost my dad to cancer when I was 17 and had all sorts of terrible ones, but in the opposite direction as yours! I ate and ate and ate. Anyway, working on that! What I found was healthy that helped are walking, gardening, and spending time journaling my thoughts. Hope this helps and if you need to talk you can message me. Best wishes and positive vibes!

I'm so so so sorry for the loss of your dad! I've been searching for my journals to start back up again but I think I may need to just buy a new one to get going. Thank you so much for opening up and also telling me what worked for you!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    @Makingchanges17 Don’t let that winter weather keep you indoors! I lived in Alaska for 18 years so I understand wanting to avoid the cold. Cuddleduds brand long underwear for women was a great layer under my thick wind resistant tights or snow pants. Hat, scarf, gloves or mittens (I liked fleece lined wool felt ones). A good warm coat. SmartWool socks. Warm boots. Thirty minutes outside walking. You’ll probably find you’re overdressed but it’s so good to get outside!