does losing weight cause a lighter period?

Options
2»

Replies

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My periods got a little heavier, but about a day shorter. I have always had fairly light and no cramps, but now after losing 60 pounds the first two days are pretty heavy for me and the last two are lighter and only spotting on the last day.

I was morbidly obese and am now just obese though, and obesity screws with hormones. I have no idea how it'll change as I continue to lose.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs and didn’t notice any change. But I’m perimenopausal so who knows.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If youre lean and lose your period, you need to put on fat ASAP to prevent long term problems.

Thats directed at readers generally, to make sure no one reads this and thinks "ah its common, so thats fine"

Are you doing much exercise? Ive never noticed weight affect my period, but exercise does (makes it lighter).

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    So far my periods seem to be heavier the first couple of days then very light. A change from heavy/moderate the whole time. They are a day or two longer now, it seems. But bloating, cramps and pms have drastically improved since losing 60 pounds. All in all, it's a win for me!
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I believe so, my period use to stay on for 7 days prior to losing weight now it stays on 3 days and I couldn't be happier :)
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    When I was on a fairly large deficit it was lightish and very irregular but once I upped my calories it's normal-heavy. It varies month-month.

I had the mirena IUD for 5 years and I opted not to get another one (it got stuck and needed surgery to get it out so no thanks). I completely forgot what it was like to have a period LOL..... it sucks, periods suck.
  • cjfarborist
    cjfarborist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I got into my early to mis 30s my period went from heay 4 days a week to 2 days at the beginning that are heavy and 2 days of spotting. The cramping comes and goes. Some months my period takes me completely by surprise and some months the cramps are so bad. But nothing weight related.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Body fat influences your endocrine system. You can experience changes in your cycle as you lose, and it can keep changing every so often as you lose body fat. You can also experience bouts of acne or sudden clearing of the skin, appetite changes, etc. that go along with hormone swings.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mine did not change until some time after I lost some weight so I don't think weight loss was the cause. I am 43 years so my period changing is not unexpected.
  • LeelaaC
    LeelaaC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've always found that when I was exercising or exceptionally active my period would be lighter. The more sedentary I was the heavier. But that maybe is just me.