Virtual Races

Options
I read through the guidelines, and since this website doesn't compete with MFP I think I'm safe.

Anyway, I found this site that has a number of virtual "races", that allow you to compete at your own pace and earn some swag for finishing. I find it some extra motivation! I've nothing to gain from posting this other than sharing it with like minded friends ;)

https://yes.fit/races

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I’ve done tons of virtual races (and real races). I’ve done virtual races as a chance to do a race “with” friends across the world, I’ve done them sometimes when my training plan called for 13 miles, or sometimes when I’ve done time trials, or when recovering from injury and wanting to celebrate certain milestones. I don’t count them in my PR’s or consider them real races, but they have a place in my life and I consider them to add a fun element.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I've not done any of these (because I don't run any longer), but I do see things like this being the workout trend of the future. Look at Orangetheory. It's interactive. I do rowing. Part of what now makes the Concept2 rower so popular is that I can race others through either RowPro (a computer program) or LiveRowing (an I-Phone app) in either real time or recorded races. I know of another software company that has developed virtual racing for bike trainers in gyms.

It's only a matter of time before you can race someone on an app (perhaps with similar elevation climbs or miles) in real time. I'm surprised no treadmill manufacturer has done that yet. It would take an exceptionally calibrated treadmill (so, like the C2 Rower, you're all on even footing to start), but still, it seems it's within capabilities now. I know ProForm came out with that Tour de France bike a few years ago where you could plug any Google map of any real road race into it and then feel like you're doing that race. If they can do that, they can create virtual indoor bike/treadmill racing. Boring for some but for others short on time (like me), it's added competition and fun.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I know ProForm came out with that Tour de France bike a few years ago where you could plug any Google map of any real road race into it and then feel like you're doing that race. If they can do that, they can create virtual indoor bike/treadmill racing. Boring for some but for others short on time (like me), it's added competition and fun.
    There are races on Zwift multiple times a day. I don't have a Zwift subscription at the moment (Trainer Road is more appropriate for my needs), but if I did I wouldn't be opposed to racing on Zwift if I could a race in my category at the right time of day (likely very doable).
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Will check this out later today
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just don't see the point of paying money to run on my own. I have enough medals from real races, I don't need more, and a live race is a lot more fun because you get to interact with real people.

Sometimes that interacting with real people might be a deterrent for some.
  • loupootoo
    loupootoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some can be quite nice - myself and a friend have just started to run - we barely get 5k at the minute but signed up for something similar on virtual runner. It's a self set challenge over the course of a month and we get a medal at the end. Perhaps if we were running real races the virtual ones wouldn't have such appeal but at the minute - they encourage us to each get out.
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    For some, virtual races can be worthwhile. I'm trying to get my body moving. I currently work two jobs, one full time and one part time. Both jobs have me nailed to a desk. Therefore, I don't get much exercise. When I do have free time, my mind doesn't say "oooh! Free time....let's exercise and get even more tired!!! So, I am trying a new strategy. I have a 7 year old that loves to run (no...I'm not taking up running). However, I will go for walks. Joining yes.fit lets me do virtual races at my own pace, plus you get medals (they're actually pretty cool looking medals). However, my initial reaction was why would I pay money to walk and get a medal when I can just walk for free. But, my son is my motivation. I won't necessarily walk when I'm exhausted, or it's super cold out, etc. I'll just procrastinate. Now I have to walk. My son picked out a medal he wants to work toward. We are going to figure out routes on "Map My Walk" and log the distance on yes.fit. We complete the required number of miles, he gets to keep the medal. Now I can't put walking off, or not bother. I can't look in his little face and say "nahhh..not today". The distances range from in the teens to around 150 miles, and everything in between. My son picked one that requires walking a total of 81.7 miles!!!! Since I can only walk on weekends, this will take us a few months. Therefore, the cost is very little when averaged over that time. The medal he chose to do after that is only 22.1 miles. Collecting medals with my son gives us quality time together, and he enjoys the activity while collecting medals. He's happy, I get in better shape...it's a win-win.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've done one virtual race and intend to do the spring one from Zombies Run. I really enjoyed the Halloween one and since I'm not looking to be competitive, it's more casual and I can run where I want. I've looked at Yes Fit and plan to do some races once I'm more consistent with running.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    @ZRunner5Lulaica I'm doing the Spring race too. It's my first with ZR. I'm also a member of the Whovian Running Club and completed my first race with them.
    To me the virtuals are training with bling. Since I'm paying for them, I'm more motivated to do them. There aren't many irl races where I am right now so this is keeping me going for the races I have scheduled this summer.