Reduce bloating

Options
HI,

My name is Danielle. I'm 29. I'm 5'8.5 and 147 lbs.

I'm trying to increase my calories which I often struggle with due to being on income assistance due to severe depression, and having a low income as well. Having the depression often reduces my appetite drastically for weeks, so I don't always get enough calories.

I am struggling with a bloated stomach and I desperately could use some ideas on how to reduce it. I've been told stress and depression contribute to it.

I'm just wondering if there are any ways that any of you are aware. It's extremely noticeable and makes me quite uncomfortable as its not fat , but a very hard stomach at times.

I would appreciate any help you could provide me. Thanks!

Replies

• luna_astrum
    luna_astrum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The cause of bloating often varies from person to person. In some people it might be grains, while in others it might be dairy or too many vegetables. It might take you a little trial and error to pinpoint it.

In the meantime, I have found that ginger (supplements or tea) helps me a little. It might not work for you, but worth a try if you can swing it.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've found peppermint tea settles my bloating a bit, any type of tea really.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any elimination diet? In other words (for example) cutting out dairy for a few weeks, cutting gluten, etc? Google FODMAP if you’re not already familiar
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Lower fiber? Simethcacone works well as well.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you always had the bloating with the same diet?
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I second FODMAP. I have pretty severe gastric issues and my gastroenterologist recommended this diet. It really works and once you get used to it it is easier than completely avoiding grains (i.e. I eat rice, oats, spelt but limit wheat and don't eat any fibrous vegetables like cauliflower or cabbage.)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I found my diet was much lower in fiber than I thought. I take Metamucil - plant fiber - every night. It helps a lot.

FODMAP can also be helpful in general - my son has many digestive issues and my husband has celiac.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you constipated?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ^everyone is different. Fiber would kill me.

Gas x helps reduce my nasty gastroparesis/crohn's bloating
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on trying an elimination diet...it could be a food intolerance/allergy.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I really need to do a FODMAP diet too. I keep putting it off.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Bloating sounds like a gastroinstestinal issue. Are you able to see a GI dr? It sounds like your gut flora is messed up due to your current “diet” of fasting due to depression followed by eating. Pls check out what medline dictionary says the causes are here: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003123.htm

My recomendations are for you to eat more pre- & pro-biotic foods & drinks. Foods like yogurt, kefir, filmjolk, quark, Bulgarian buttermilk, water kefir, sauerkraut, and tons of pre & pro-biotic drinks. Also if you can & it doesn’t bother you, up your fiber intake. GL & feel better. :smile:
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    +1 for FODMAP but I'd recommend doing it with the help of a qualified dietician if possible, because it's not easy to follow
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

When i was having bad Gastro distress i looked in to the FODMAP diet too. I would have failed before i begun, i wouldn't have been able to restrict my diet that much :(

I am so grateful the issues resolved themselves.

OP i look 5mths pregnant after a meal, it does NOT matter what foods or in which combinations i bloat up like a balloon. It's just my normal.

My husband (who has had a vasectomy) has given me the side eye on many occasions when i'm sitting on the couch with a big ol pregnant looking belly :lol:
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

When i was having bad Gastro distress i looked in to the FODMAP diet too. I would have failed before i begun, i wouldn't have been able to restrict my diet that much :(

I am so grateful the issues resolved themselves.

OP i look 5mths pregnant after a meal, it does NOT matter what foods or in which combinations i bloat up like a balloon. It's just my normal.

My husband (who has had a vasectomy) has given me the side eye on many occasions when i'm sitting on the couch with a big ol pregnant looking belly :lol:

I know. I need to start reading. It just seems like too much for me :(
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's not meant to be done long term though. You do it for around 4-6 weeks then gradually reintroduce foods. I did it with the support of a qualified dietician but I'm in the UK so didn't have to pay. I'm already on a restricted diet as I have ulcerative colitis so I can't pretend it wasn't challenging but it's not forever and did help to pinpoint trigger foods. Even then you don't have to cut them out completely, just don't eat large amounts every day.
    The worst offender for me turned out to be artificial sweeteners like sorbitol
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It's not meant to be done long term though. You do it for around 4-6 weeks then gradually reintroduce foods. I did it with the support of a qualified dietician but I'm in the UK so didn't have to pay. I'm already on a restricted diet as I have ulcerative colitis so I can't pretend it wasn't challenging but it's not forever and did help to pinpoint trigger foods. Even then you don't have to cut them out completely, just don't eat large amounts every day.
    The worst offender for me turned out to be artificial sweeteners like sorbitol

I second this. When I was prescribed this diet by my gastroenterologist I was super overwhelmed but I basically used it like an elimination diet. I cut everything out and then tried adding foods in to see how I felt. I can actually eat white bread in small amounts (like an english muffin) but can't eat whole grain bread or a lot of the vegetables on the list.