On 1400cal and keep getting a head rush!

Options
Hi there,

I’m calorie restricting my diet to 1400 a day and 2 weeks in, normally late afternoon I keep getting really bad head rushes to the point that I have to sit down immediately.

Does anyone else experience this and is there anything I can do that will help?

I did wonder if I needed to drink more water?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I would consider discussing with your doctor. It could be something else that's causing this that may need medical attention.

What kind of exercise are you doing, and how frequently are you doing it?
  • seaholly_00
    seaholly_00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    I would consider discussing with your doctor. It could be something else that's causing this that may need medical attention.

What kind of exercise are you doing, and how frequently are you doing it?

I’m walking daily for around 1.5hrs (to and from work)

Plus I swim once a week and go on my stationary bike 2/3 times a week for around 45min/1hour

Thanks!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height, weight, age) and where did you come up with 1400 calories?
    It may not be enough-
    Regardless, if you're getting dizzy to that extreme you should speak to a doctor.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should speak with your doctor. If I drop to low with calories I get headaches. How many calories were you consuming before you dropped to 1400?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have your greatly reduced salt intake?
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Also how long does this happen after your last meal? Do you skip lunch?
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi, So as others have mentioned, you need to see a doctor. Your blood pressure needs to be checked, probably your A1C blood test needs to be taken. You should get this figured out because you do not want to faint and hurt yourself. Are you on any meds? They may need to be adjusted. Good luck
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Dropping your calories too much in too short of a time can affect your body significantly. Some people have no trouble while others need more calories to keep their hormones at a normal level. Providing others with the information that has been asked is a great first step but anything that causes you discomfort should be discussed with medical personnel.
  • seaholly_00
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    What are your stats (height, weight, age) and where did you come up with 1400 calories?
    It may not be enough-
    Regardless, if you're getting dizzy to that extreme you should speak to a doctor.

Height: 5ft 9inches
    Weight: 81kg

1400 cal was suggested by doctor/nutritionalist as due to medical condition they want me back in a healthy BMi.
  • seaholly_00
    Options
    Yes, you should speak with your doctor. If I drop to low with calories I get headaches. How many calories were you consuming before you dropped to 1400?

Around 1900.
  • seaholly_00
    Options
    Have your greatly reduced salt intake?

No not that I am aware of!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back some of those exercise calories, or just eating that 1400?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You are only 4kg above the healthy weight range, so you don't have much to lose. Usually if you are close to goal you need to lose weight at a slower rate to make it sustainable.

Have you entered your stats into myfitnesspal to see what its calorie recommendation is?

1400 calories may be a bit low for you, especially with that amount of exercise. You need to take account of exercise when deciding how much to eat.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    [
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would check with the doctor, but I know that if I don't eat some protein in a meal and I'm busy, then I get light headed. I have to have protein in each meal and avoid eating only carbs and fats. But get checked out and check out your meal choices and adjust them as necessary. I'm 5'10 and have lost on a net 1200 calorie diet (I eat back my exercise calories so I eat more that 1200 on most days) without too much trouble unless I eat a high carb meal. :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    1400 seems very low for someone with your stats. Is there some reason your doctor chose that number?

Are you eating back exercise calories? If not, then you’re actually consuming 1400-whatever you burned.

Either way, it sounds very much like you aren’t eating enough.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I second the comments about both protein and salt. Adequat protein regulates blood sugar levels and salt is necessary for blood pressure and blood volume, especially if you have increased your water intake markedly. I also get head rushes if I've had more than a very minimal amount of sugar or gluten - and always in the late afternoon. You can try taking a sachet of rehydration salts next time. If it makes you feel much better, then you have some info for the doc.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You didn't say if you were eating back your calories from exercise... This is the most likely culprit. It is possible that you need to drink more water, but if it happens at the same time every day, it's more likely that you could probably use more food at that time (snack?). I second the advice to go see a doctor and get your BP and AC1.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consider eating a protein rich snack. If this is happening about the same time every afternoon, you can avert this by eating a little (maybe some cheese and crackers and an apple, or a boiled egg with something else). Drink some water. And for heaven’ssake, see your doctor soon.