Any tips on what to eat after cardio?

Options
Normally I do a plain yogurt and cucumber, fruit, or some dark chocolate. Not really sure if those are good for recovery post workout. Any feedback or tips are much appreciated.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Depends on what I'm doing for cardio.
    Depends on the intensity and length of time.
    Depends what time of day.
    Depends on what I'm hungry for.

For example ...

On Saturday, my husband and I did a brisk 32 km bicycle ride. That's not long enough for us to go for a pizza, but we were able to have a burrito at Zambreros.

On Sunday, we did a slightly slower 29 km bicycle ride ... and decided to have roast chicken and roast veggies for dinner.

If my "cardio" is a brisk 1-hour walk at lunchtime, I'll have my lunch when I get back into the office.
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my go to, or a boiled egg.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Whatever meal comes next. Unless it's Sunday and I've done a long (2-3 hour) run in which case a chocolate milkshake is a must.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If it's a short workout (under an hour) I don't eat anything afterwards. If it's a long one I'll usually just eat my next meal since I try to time my runs for late morning or afternoons. If it's mid-afternoon and I'm starving, I'll eat half a sandwich or a granola bar or some fruit and cheese. Occasionally I eat a donut ;-)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. Nutrient timing is irrelevant for the vast majority of people. It doesn’t matter when you get your macros during the day as long as you get them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The duration and intensity of cardio will determine if you have done anything that actually requires recovering from.

If just a regular one hour session then why do you think you need anything at all?
  • jenchu1979
    jenchu1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So far walking is the only exercise other than my garden I'm doing, and I just make sure to put plenty of protein into my breakfast, which is after the gym. In my case that's a Home McMuffin (Sausage and egg, no cheese) and a banana.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't typically need any kind of recovery food right after a ride unless it's in excess of about 25 miles...my normal eating is fine. In most cases, what you're eating throughout the day, day to day is going to be far more important than a recovery meal.

If it's your standard 60 minutes session, you really shouldn't need anything in particular unless you just want a snack...in which case just have whatever.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If I’ve got my timings right it’s dinner.

As that’s not very often it’ll be one of two things - a snack after a short session just because I can, or some kind of protein source after a big session (2hrs plus) and that’ll be anything from nuts to yoghurt to a recovery shake depending on what I fancy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Eat what you want. Nutrient timing is irrelevant for the vast majority of people. It doesn’t matter when you get your macros during the day as long as you get them.

That ^^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "food"

I usually do cardio on the weekends- and on the weekends I eat pizza.

So- usually pizza.