Fitbit question

Options
When my Fitbit automatically logs the exercise does that give me credit for logging exercise. I know it gives me the calories and when I do a cardio exercise at the gym I look at the exercise calories for the day before and see what it credits me for if it’s close to the machine I just keep what it automatically logged so it’s as close as I can get to accurate with the equipment I have. But I like the way mfp says you logged food for 7 days in a row or you met your weekly exercise goal of 5 workouts a week and I’m wondering if it only counts what I manually enter.

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well the one thing I do know is you need to use only one to enter either food and exercise. If you use both your going to get a double credit for calories. So i let fitbit log the steps and exercise and log my foods on MFP. MFP has a better database for foods, but make sure you double check the values cause anyone can input foods and sometimes can be inaccurate.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’m only entering foods into mfp and if I manually add exercise I do it in mfp as well. I am weighing just about everything I eat and double checking the accuracy of the info before I add it to my diary. I’m not eating all the exercise calories back unless I truly am hungry.

I can’t find anything that tells me if the auto logged exercise from Fitbit steps counts towards workout goals I’ve set on mfp. I just want the app to say I worked out 5 days this week.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If you want MFP to count exercise sessions in your weekly goal, you will have to enter them individually in MFP. Personally, I don't bother logging individual exercises in MFP anymore, I just let the MFP and Fitbit sync happen, because Fitbit activity tracking and reporting is more robust than MFP - I abandoned MFP's basic exercise functions and goal reporting for Fitbit. I still log all food intake in MFP.

If you do log individual exercises in MFP, make sure the start time and duration is accurate. As long as you are accurate in entering the start time and duration in MFP, the sync between MFP and Fitbit will not double count. In fact, the MFP individual exercise Calorie estimate does not matter at all, because when MFP and Fitbit sync, the calculations between what MFP estimates and what Fitbit estimates will adjust accordingly.

I would recommend reading through the first three posts in this thread on the MFP Fitbit Users group...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • DSkoppy
    DSkoppy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The fitbit app has daily exercise tracked and goal setting capabilities for how many times you want to exercise a weekthat you can have on your dashboard. I just committed to that. Having said that I therefore wasn't really able to do that challenge in mfp for logging exercises... But I prefer the fitbit for that so just let the challenge go.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks