Water in drinks ....does that count towards allowance?

Options
I cannot stand plain water. It literally makes me gag. However, I was wondering if water used to make things like tea, coffee, cordial/squash drinks counts towards the 8 glasses a day?

Thanks so much!

Heidi

Replies

• aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    yup, it still counts! :)
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have wondered the same thing as I too hate water on its own.
  • tizzyliz88
    Options
    Thanks aimiibean!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    Ever try 4C? It's awesome - you mix it into water. They've got a bunch of flavors, it's 0 calories (sweetened with Splenda, so no aspartame), and every serving has 100% of your daily intake of vitamin C. I use it as a change-up to water because let's get real, even those of us who like water get bored of it on occasion ... It is also sold in those little packets you can add to bottles of water and I keep a bunch of them (along with a water bottle) at my desk at work.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about coffee and tea because it contains caffeine which is a diuretic.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I only count non-caffeine drinks & switch up what I drink as much as possible
  • edward1973
    Options
    I am not sure about coffee and tea because it contains caffeine which is a diuretic.

Green tea would be a better choice -
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Definitely not caffeinated drinks. I usually keep an eye on my pee. If it's almost clear, then you are getting plenty. But that's my theory as I drink plain water and decaf coffee.
  • smoore85
    smoore85 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i think it does count but i only count water or squash towards it, i add any tea i have drank under snacks,
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand plain water. It literally makes me gag. However, I was wondering if water used to make things like tea, coffee, cordial/squash drinks counts towards the 8 glasses a day?

Thanks so much!

Heidi
    I'm on both sides of the argument...if I were to go through 2-32oz bottles of PowerAde Zero, that would be the equivalent of 8 glasses of water, but I'm also getting all the positives/negatives that comes with drinking something that isn't straight water.

So to compromise, what I'm doing now is adding Mio to bottled water:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/pages/about-mio.html

No calories, no carbs, and no sodium, and you can adjust the flavor by how much or how little you put in. I don't put in much, as a bottle costs over $3 at my local Wal-Mart, but it does make water more tolerable.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist, when I was preggy & borderline gestational diabetic,
    told me that tea & coffee count as water so I log my iced tea as water. (when i have it)
    been drinking mostly spring water lately.
  • jessielyn525
    Options
    (regarding: drink packets to add into water)crystal light has these too and a few stores (like Walmart) have their own store brand versions as well. They are great.
  • mahosmama
    Options
    I also have a hard time with plain water but I love love love MIO. It comes in a little squeeze bottle so you add as much or as little as you like and it has ZERO calories and no aspertame. I have a 16oz. insulated glass on my desk and every time I refill it I add 2 glasses of water to my food diary.

I love MFP and tell any who will listen all about it. I have lost 13 lbs. in 6 weeks and feel really good about myself.

13 down/87 to go.