Did you guys hear about McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    my kids will only eat.... is a crock.

seriously!!! if you give them a nutritious tasty meal, and they don't eat it, fine, they starve, until the next meal, where they will be served the same thing again, eventually they will get hungry enough to eat.

i used to think that, being blessed with a good eater for my first. My 3rd is also a good eater, but my middle one is super fussy, and has very basic tastes. if i dont make him something he likes, he wont eat it. Full stop. He also wouldnt eat it for the next meal either, and hes a skinny little thing, so im not really prepared to starve him.
    He's not particularly keen on mcdonalds either apart from the fries, so im not talking about that particularly, but just saying, its easy to blame the parenting for a child being fussy, when its not always the case.
    Saying that, there ARE levels to which some people pander to it which can be ridiculous
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    My oldest is super picky. My 10 year old and 3 year old will eat almost anything. Or at least try it. I am doing BLW with my 8 month old and he will currently try just about anything.
    If it doesn't look good to her she won't eat it. End of story. She's always been that way. She doesn't really eat junk food though. And I refuse to make her something extra. However, if we are having say spaghetti and I know she isn't big on sauce I just give her more noodles. Or if we have broccoli she knows she has to eat more salad.
    Her step sister will only eat breaded chicken tenders. So that's what they feed her. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've started sending my kids to their Dad's with fruit lol.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    First of all, I can tell that most of you do not have children. Like anything in life, moderation is key. You are missing some basic ideas of this whole thing. One, the caramel sauce is now not served, the apples taste like crap and McDonalds will no longer serve chocolate milk. The choice is white milk or soda pop. That is right, no chocolate milk, but a pop instead.
    This whole thing was forced on us by a nanny state in the US. People who overfeed their children on junk food are not buying happy meals, they add lots of other things to the diet along w/McDonalds to make their children unhealthy. I do not want Michle Obama telling me what my kids can eat, that is my choice whether I do it well or not.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why a 2 year old would ever have been to a McDonalds. I can understand it as an adult "treat" (for treat read weirdness), but I can't think of a single reason to take a baby there.
    How many 2 year olds have you raised?
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Once I went to a japanese steak house with my husband. Some of their food is rather bland. Steak. White or fried rice. Zuccini, onion. For the kids, they serve grilled corn.

There was this girl who ONLY ate the corn. She refused the steak, rice, shrimp veggies AND any flavor of ice cream she could have wanted.

Yes, taste preferences happen.

It shocked me at first, but it does happen.

Kids are trying to figure themselves out. I also, sometimes think it's a matter of wills and testing boundaries.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    it's strange but i feel about kid's eating habits the same way i do about my puppy. there is no excuse for them not to eat well or being overweight. i have control over what my puppy eats and i take it seriously. i would expect that parents are equally responsible for what goes in their kid's mouths.

it's my dream to have someone take care of my meals and snacks and put it in front of me :-)

and when i hear parents say he/she won't eat that....really? since when do you let kids dictate what they will/won't eat. there are so many choices, and cooking and meals are the best opportunity to get kid's introduced to good food in a positive way to save them from a life of struggle and poor health.
    This! Grow a pair and be a parent.
  • pinkplaym4te
    pinkplaym4te Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    This! Grow a pair and be a parent.

I do think there is a difference between a child having a little problem with eating and one that WILL NOT eat. It does happen and you have to try different things to figure out which your child is... but, how exhausted do you think you'd be arguing with your kid 3 or more times daily?

I've found that the phases change off and on.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Meh... my opinion is that Happy Meals should be a rare treat (we take the kids to fast food less than once a month, and don't always get them kids meals) and so for than once in a while, go ahead and eat the fries if you want.

The problem is that, in too many cases, McD's drive through is a regular dinner solution. Replacing french fries with apples isn't going to do too much to abate the issue of too much fat and too little nutrients in a kids' meal.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    but, how exhausted do you think you'd be arguing with your kid 3 or more times daily?
    It's still called being a parent. Raising a child is a choice.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    but, how exhausted do you think you'd be arguing with your kid 3 or more times daily?
    It's still called being a parent. Raising a child is a choice.

Well, for some people it's a choice. For others, some poor indirect choices lead to it.

However, sometimes I find that if I work with the kids(not give them everything they want), but work with them, it works better than bullying them and attempting to take away any and all free will they have.

With this approach, I have kids that don't act out, don't throw tantrums and have a pretty awesome sense of self-esteem.
  • SMarie1219
    Options
    it's strange but i feel about kid's eating habits the same way i do about my puppy. there is no excuse for them not to eat well or being overweight. i have control over what my puppy eats and i take it seriously. i would expect that parents are equally responsible for what goes in their kid's mouths.

it's my dream to have someone take care of my meals and snacks and put it in front of me :-)

and when i hear parents say he/she won't eat that....really? since when do you let kids dictate what they will/won't eat. there are so many choices, and cooking and meals are the best opportunity to get kid's introduced to good food in a positive way to save them from a life of struggle and poor health.

I love this! I have a 4 year old and he eats very healthy. One of my good friends has a 5 year old girl and she asks me all the time "how do you get him to eat that" I give it to him, and tell him that is dinner. He doesn't get soda he gets veggies, water, milk, and on a rare occasion tea, fruit and juice are snacks we don't have a lot of the crap food. If they don't taste it they don't know they want it... That's my stance on it. There are some things that he does not like, but overall he eats what I give him and he doesn't eat the junk because we don't have it and he has no idea what it is...
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, for childhood obesity and raising kids, the problems run far deeper than apples over friends at mcdees. I don't think letting fast food chains operate our jiminy crickets for us will help.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I do think there is a difference between a child having a little problem with eating and one that WILL NOT eat. It does happen and you have to try different things to figure out which your child is... but, how exhausted do you think you'd be arguing with your kid 3 or more times daily?

I've found that the phases change off and on.

i agree kids go through food phases.

i have found the best phrase is 'johnny, i love you too much to argue. you may try three bites and get down from the table if you have decided you don't like it.' they will eat when they get hungry enough and aren't filled up with juice or other fillers.

it also helps to give picky eaters options. 'johnny, would you like to eat from the red plate or the blue plate? would you like half of the sandwich on there or the whole thing? do you want broccoli and carrots or just broccoli? would you like to eat now or in 20 minutes?'

and i'm a big fan of grating veggies into anything with a sauce. :)
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    The McDonalds i Hawaii give you a fresh serving of pineapple with every order. We went to Mcds just for that.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

i agree kids go through food phases.

i have found the best phrase is 'johnny, i love you too much to argue. you may try three bites and get down from the table if you have decided you don't like it.' they will eat when they get hungry enough and aren't filled up with juice or other fillers.

it also helps to give picky eaters options. 'johnny, would you like to eat from the red plate or the blue plate? would you like half of the sandwich on there or the whole thing? do you want broccoli and carrots or just broccoli? would you like to eat now or in 20 minutes?'

and i'm a big fan of grating veggies into anything with a sauce. :)

So agreed.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why a 2 year old would ever have been to a McDonalds. I can understand it as an adult "treat" (for treat read weirdness), but I can't think of a single reason to take a baby there.
    How many 2 year olds have you raised?

I believe Fredi has two children, why?
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    The McDonalds i Hawaii give you a fresh serving of pineapple with every order. We went to Mcds just for that.

Yummy! I love pineapple!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I think my oldest was at least 2 before we ever took her to McD's. And no happy meal, she got a few bites of our burger, and a couple of fries. She wouldn't have eaten much more than that anyway. But I see far too many toddlers being served (and eating) an entire Happy Meal.
    Think about this - back in the 1950's when McDonald's first made an appearance, a full adult meal would have looked almost exactly like today's Happy Meal (without the toy, of course). Now, the Happy Meal is aimed at littler kids, while the have a "big kids meal" aimed at kids over about 8 (or they used to, I haven't set foot in a McDonalds in a while). And many parents give these to their kids several times a week!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a good idea (although, as others have said, the preservatives in the apple slices are a bit odd and the caramel negates the health aspect), but I kind of think McDonalds is missing the point. When I was a kid, my parents took me to McDonalds as a treat. Sure, the food was unhealthy, but I guess I thought it tasted good. But to be honest, I recall just wanting the toy in the happy meal and then to play in the kid's section of the restaurant. No kid ever got fat from eating a McDonald's Happy Meal once in a blue moon. The problem is when parents take their kids there once or twice a week coupled with the kids sitting on their bums all day in school and then playing video games when they get home. I was watching my little cousins recently sit outside on their front porch playing individual video games. This was in the middle of a gorgeous day when they could have been running around outside! These kids then grow up and order the large fries or supersize meals. The size of the fries themselves in the happy meal is not horrendous... I just think McDonald's is missing the point and this is just more for show.