-14 with feels like -25... winter workouts

Options
Im from Northern Wisconsin. Anyone care to share their warmer workouts?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    anything indoors.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    At "feels like -25" the frostbite warning is usually less than 15 minutes of exposure. Unless you invest heavily in the right gear it's downright dangerous to workout outside. I live in New England, am an avid skier (both alpine and nordic) and I draw the line when the windchill is in double digits below 0.

Join a gym or find something to do inside--run stairs or do bodyweight conditioning.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I assume you're trying to stay outdoors?

Can you get somewhere that is protected from the wind? In the woods/on the trails maybe? Dress for the windchill, but also make sure any exposed skin (minimal) is protected - simple vaseline works well.
  • Shredder583
    Shredder583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Where i am at the sweat just runs off you. Imagine having a shower and when u finish you find you are already sweating when u are drying yourself. Pretty hard to believe isnt it from where are lol. I cannot even begin tounderstand how u could even change clothes where u are or find the motivation to go outside and be motivated to go to the gym. Way toooo cold! Lol
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Its 1deg C in the UK this morning .... thats loads warmer than Wisconsin .. yet, grabbing hold of a barbell in an unheated garage at 5am ... that hurts !
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of workout videos on You Tube.
    I like Jessica Smith tv, Pahla Bowers, Leslie Sansone channels.
    https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/exercise-videos/full-body-videos/best-workout-videos-youtube-trainers/

I also walk indoors.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just started doing 9Rounds. It's a kickboxing workout where you have 9 rounds (hence the name) & each one is 3 minutes long with an active rest in between. It's a killer workout, but it's fun & you get to punch & kick things
  • cdubs4btr
    cdubs4btr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! My home gym is upstairs in my shop only about 300 feet away, but the walk too and from is sometimes a little like.... lets wait till boat weather to exercise, but its nice to be reminded there are places season change isnt so dramatic, I still love it here!!
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    I just started doing 9Rounds. It's a kickboxing workout where you have 9 rounds (hence the name) & each one is 3 minutes long with an active rest in between. It's a killer workout, but it's fun & you get to punch & kick things

I've got one opening up on my route home from work, and according to their website, one opening up across from my local park (like 10 minutes from the house). I'm definitely checking it out when it comes in.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am in beautiful but chilly and snowy Quebec City. Lucky to live close to some woods, so even if it is blustery, it is surprisingly calm and sheltered among the trees. I bundle up and hike through the snow with my dog and listen to podcasts - I really work up a sweat if the snow is fresh and deep, which it always is up here. I have fine-tuned my clothing according to temperature and on the coldest days, I need handwarmers but my feet and head are fine.

But, it has been crazy cold this year, so I admit to mostly staying home to work out. I have some cardio equipment at home, which makes all the difference in the world. I usually watch the news at the same time, or sometimes some very light TV or fluffy movie. I like on-line workouts from PopSugar and FitnessBlender. You can't go wrong with Jillian Michaels' DVDs as they are easy to find and inexpensive.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in Minnesota and I feel you (coldest super bowl in history, boo yeah!). I started working out last summer and got really into running near my house first thing in the AM. I was hoping to keep running over the winter and got some great tips here on how to do so, but I got too intimidated by the ice and the dark and decided I needed to find an indoor alternative. I'd started doing body-weight workouts in the fall and have double downed on those (I mostly use Fitness Blender videos). I really enjoyed running, though, so as soon as that ice is gone, I'm back out there!