Squats and back pain

Options
Why do squats cause lower back strain??

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you need to work on your form. I have lower back issues but have no lower back pain when I squat. I've been doing SL 5x5 and worked up to 100 pounds so far.
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Agreed with jayemes.

If you're doing squats correctly, they shouldn't bother your lower back. If mine hurts, I know it's because I'm letting my form start to suffer, and that I need to fix it. Better to do them correctly with a lighter weight until the muscle memory is there, than to go heavy, reinforce bad habits, and potentially deal with an injury.

There are loads of videos/articles on correct form online - probably worth doing a little research. Sometimes it's hip mobility that's the limiting factor; sometimes it's a matter of remembering to keep your core tight and pull your shoulder-blades back (like you're trying to pinch something between them). There are a lot of folks on here, who if you post a video, can probably give direct feedback on form.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It would be beneficial to know what kind of pain you're having. It could be form you could have some sort of imbalances that need to be corrected. I know that I have good squat form but I'm having SI joint issues and that's just because of years and working in one plane. What's causing squat pain is often very personal based on your training history, form, and physical issues unique to you. Your question is a bit too generic to address.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What kind of squats are causing the pain?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Oliviants wrote: »
    Why do squats cause lower back strain??

They don't, bad form and improper warm up does.

Squats can cause lower back soreness because its involves the lower back which is normal to feel from time to time depending on the intensity relative to your strength or recovery from squats.

If you are straining your back with squats you should lower the weight to one that can hold form without causing more pain.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything above. Likely your form. Do you have access to TRX ropes? When I first began working out squats hurt my lower back. I've had four lower back surgeries, so I told my trainer that I guess they were off limits. He said I was doing them wrong. He had me work on the TRX for a while. Once my form was right, we started with body weight, then dumb bells, then small barbells. I'm up to 40 pounds (baby steps!) And no pain!
  • Shredder583
    Shredder583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hey why dont you try front squats? They use some different muscles. Start out light and give them a crack
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Video