Finding Motivation While Working From Home

Options
Struggling to find the balance between working from home (sit down office type work) and getting my physical fitness in. I recently purchased a Garmin Vivosport to help get me rolling and started a group on here for people who work from home.
I hope that getting active on here will help me to start taking the steps necessary to lose the 50lbs that I am hoping to shed! Anyone else working on finding this balance?

Replies

• Strives4Progress
    Strives4Progress Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I’m the same. Desk job at home and struggle to keep active during work. I have garmin as well and try to use the reminders to keep me on track.
  • ihp2015
    ihp2015 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also work from home, same as you a desk job. I make it a point to walk at least 500 - 1000 steps per hour. I find it's actually a great way to clear my thoughts. Also, this takes maybe 5 - 10 minutes each hour, and since I need to get up from my desk anyway to stretch my legs, I may as well use this time to take some steps. I've been housewalking, since I've started my weight loss journey in September, and I've lost 45 lbs so far, just by walking.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also work from home a lot and make an effort now to walk and around the block a good few times throughout the working day. Sometimes I will go on the treadmill if the weather is not good. Not only is it good for activity levels but having the break from the computer makes me more productive with my work so it's win win!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Glad you posted this. I WFH and have been struggling on my staying at my desk days to get my steps in. It's much easier on a day I'm out and about because I'll always park away from where I'm going but indoors it's too easy to get caught up in stuff and not move at all.

Think I'll use my screen breaks as walking time and do the stairs a few times too!
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Struggling to find the balance between working from home (sit down office type work) and getting my physical fitness in. I recently purchased a Garmin Vivosport to help get me rolling and started a group on here for people who work from home.
    I hope that getting active on here will help me to start taking the steps necessary to lose the 50lbs that I am hoping to shed! Anyone else working on finding this balance?

I work from home as well. And it is tough. I find that if I don't eat breakfast and work out, that it's really tough to try to take a break in the middle of the day to do it. I did get a high top table to work from, so I am standing far more than I was and I can do simple leg lifts etc. while I'm on the computer. Every bit helps. I eat lunch while I work, and if it's warm out, i'll take a quick half hour walk around the block for my "break". I just decided one day that I absolutely needed to make the time. So I did.
  • GothicsDarkAngel
    GothicsDarkAngel Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My first thought was get a fitbit. I see you got a garmin vivo. You have to make the time. I will tell you why I LOVE my fitbit....it reminds you to get up and move. And you know what, when I'm home, I need that reminder. Time can zip right by with out us even moving, we blink, and it's 5pm. I don't know much about the garmin setups, but if you can have it remind you to get up and move, maybe that would be helpful?

I know it is easier said than done, but carve that time out for yourself during the day....and stick to it. Even when I'm home, I've started to do walking workouts in my office. Jump on to youtube, there are plenty over there. Even if you don't need someone on screen for you, they even have scenery videos to walk to!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Instead of commuting to work, I take a walk. Instead of taking a long lunch break, I have a quick lunch and take a walk. Instead of sitting in traffic during a commute home, I take a walk. 10,000 steps done.
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you stick to a set time. That'll remove willpower eventually. The more your workouts are all over the place the less likely you are to gain momentum. That and some discipline. How bad do you actually want this?
  • dferrell60
    dferrell60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work from home as well. I find a good 30 min You tube workout helps me liven up in my office and gets me more focused.
  • AltSpeaking
    AltSpeaking Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My first thought was get a fitbit. I see you got a garmin vivo. You have to make the time. I will tell you why I LOVE my fitbit....it reminds you to get up and move. And you know what, when I'm home, I need that reminder. Time can zip right by with out us even moving, we blink, and it's 5pm. I don't know much about the garmin setups, but if you can have it remind you to get up and move, maybe that would be helpful?

I know it is easier said than done, but carve that time out for yourself during the day....and stick to it. Even when I'm home, I've started to do walking workouts in my office. Jump on to youtube, there are plenty over there. Even if you don't need someone on screen for you, they even have scenery videos to walk to!

I love that feature on my Garmin too, some days I swear thats the only reason I get up and moving, and it's honestly the main reason I bought the Garmin!
  • AltSpeaking
    Options
    I'd suggest you stick to a set time. That'll remove willpower eventually. The more your workouts are all over the place the less likely you are to gain momentum. That and some discipline. How bad do you actually want this?

Unfortunately, a set time doesn't work all days. I have a 'usual' time but in my line of work with meetings, coaching sessions, etc I don't have a set schedule. So I need to find a way to gain momentum without the reliance of a set go-to time
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, a set time doesn't work all days. I have a 'usual' time but in my line of work with meetings, coaching sessions, etc I don't have a set schedule. So I need to find a way to gain momentum without the reliance of a set go-to time

An unpredictable schedule can be tough, for sure. However, I'd remove the words "momentum" and "motivation" from your thought process. A quote I just read recently may be helpful: "A key to self-control: structuring your life so you don't have to use self-control. Good habits let you rely less on willpower."

So, instead of one set plan of doing X workout at X time, I'd set up a few alternate plans: 1 for if you'll be working out in the AM, another for in the afternoon and another if it will be in the evening or on the weekend, etc. Doesn't have to complicated but have a few plans in mind depending on the time of day and just stick to it. Consistency forms habits.

I don't work from home, so I keep 2 different (fully packed) gym bags in my truck along with my yoga mat and bag that way I'm prepared no matter how my day goes. Working later means going to a different gym or catching a yoga class instead.
  • WolfDenOne
    WolfDenOne Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I work from home. What works for us is that we've committed to stop everything and go to the gym for 60-90 minutes, five days a week. During the week, we go right after supper, once my fiance has come home from work. You have to MAKE the time. Schedule the gym like any other appointment. Log all your food and make sure you dont exceed your daily allotments. Don't make exercise an option; make it a priority.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    WolfDenOne wrote: »
    I work from home. What works for us is that we've committed to stop everything and go to the gym for 60-90 minutes, five days a week. During the week, we go right after supper, once my fiance has come home from work. You have to MAKE the time. Schedule the gym like any other appointment. Log all your food and make sure you dont exceed your daily allotments. Don't make exercise an option; make it a priority.

Yes! I forgot to add this. I consider my workout time as part of my work day. It's scheduled and not an option.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I WFH as well and trying to find and keep the motivation that I once had. I am trying to get back to early morning workout before work with a dvd and a lunch time walk. If I miss doing this I will have to get to the gym.
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work from home, and also workout at home. I decided last year that I would force myself to get up earlier to make sure I could knock out all my exercise and get breakfast before I was expected to start working. Plus, working at home has really made it easier to "dial-in" my nutrition.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please, us, when you work from home there are no office treats you must resist or manage.
  • AltSpeaking
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Please, us, when you work from home there are no office treats you must resist or manage.

Sure there are, there's your whole kitchen! Haha - While I am good about selecting healthier options when I'm out shopping, my husband has a killer sweet tooth
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes, so hard! Where is your group to join?

I struggle trying to make the workouts fit in while the kids are at daycare plus working from home is very sedentary.