Half marathon with no training plan

Options
DX2JX2
DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
I'm running a HM in April but finding time to train will be tough since the first quarter is my busy time at work and we have a brand new baby at home. It's been tough to get out of the house for more than an hour.

Given those time constraints, I've had to limit my runs to 6 or 7 miles max with even that distance something I can only make the time to do one time per week on a Saturday or Sunday. Most of my daily runs are ~4.5 miles since I can get dressed, out the door, and done in only 45 minutes.

Luckily, I can generally get out 4 or 5 mornings per week and average between 20 and 25 miles per week.

Do you think I'll have any problems finishing the half if I just keep doing what I've been doing? I don't have any speed goals with this one and will likely be fine with any finish less than 2 hours (barely faster than my easy training pace).

My main concern is that I've never run 13 miles before. My longest run thus far is about 8.5 miles though that didn't leave me feeling too tired or beat up and I do think I could have gone further if time had allowed.

Would it help if I upped my speed training over the shorter distances?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Is the running you describe here you only cardio work?
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Is the running you describe here you only cardio work?

I use the elliptical occasionally and body weight cross train every now and then but running is my main form of exercise because it's what I enjoy the most. Close enough to answer your question with a yes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You'll likely be able to finish depending on your mental resolve...but you probably aren't going to feel very good.

My wife ran a half back in October and ran into some training issues training wise. She's run a few before and decided she could just push through it. She never finished and was taken to the hospital in a state of delirium with about 3 miles left. Since then, and given her time restraints running wise, she's sticking to 10Ks for the moment.

I'm kind of the same with my riding...I like doing 1/2 century rides, but they require me to be pretty strict with my training and right now things are just too crazy with kids, school, homework, kids sports, etc for me to commit to a training protocol so I basically get in my 40-50 miles per week and am sticking to 1/4 centuries for the moment as I don't need to be super vigilant with a training protocol for a 1/4...my normal rides work fine for that and I finish and feel good and enjoy the ride.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I regularly ran 10 miles, but had never attempted 13 prior to my first half. Didn’t have any problems running the whole thing.
  • jjpptt2
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You'll be able to finish, but the last 2-3 miles could be pretty miserable. If at all possible, I'd suggest getting your long runs up to 10 miles. You probably don't need to do them weekly... but one 10-miler per month is probably sufficient.

And FWIW, just under 2 hours isn't as easy as it may seem. Either that, or I'm not as good a runner as you... which is probably more the case. My point - don't take a 2hr half for granted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, but the last couple of miles might not be fun. Plus you won't be able to practice fueling, but that's not necessarily a problem- not everyone feels the need to fuel a half.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, you'll be fine. Speed training isn't going to help you much at all, you're lacking in the longer slow runs. Don't go out too fast on race day and the later stages shouldn't be too difficult.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    You'll be able to finish, but the last 2-3 miles could be pretty miserable. If at all possible, I'd suggest getting your long runs up to 10 miles. You probably don't need to do them weekly... but one 10-miler per month is probably sufficient.

And FWIW, just under 2 hours isn't as easy as it may seem. Either that, or I'm not as good a runner as you... which is probably more the case. My point - don't take a 2hr half for granted.

The two hours is kind of arbitrary and I'm just using that since it's a round number. I figure it's probably not too far off. My best 10K thus far is ~51 minutes and the race predictor on my Garmin says I should be able to run a half in about 1:37 (but it's generally ~15% optimistic based on my actual 5K and 10K times).

I'm really just going to run this one by feel, wherever that lands me. The real goal will be to finish without walking in good form.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

The two hours is kind of arbitrary and I'm just using that since it's a round number. I figure it's probably not too far off. My best 10K thus far is ~51 minutes and the race predictor on my Garmin says I should be able to run a half in about 1:37 (but it's generally ~15% optimistic based on my actual 5K and 10K times).

I'm really just going to run this one by feel, wherever that lands me. The real goal will be to finish without walking in good form.

Gotcha. Pacing yourself will probably be your biggest key to success. Go out easy, keep it easy, and hold on at the end. You should be ok.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look at one of the Hal Higdon training programs for halfs (search on Google). It will give you a good idea where you're at and what you need to do to meet your personal goal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There’s a big difference between running 7 miles and running 13.1. If at all possible, I would really encourage trying to work up to at least a 10 miler before your race. That’s where many HM training programs peak. As others have said, you’ll likely be able to finish given your current plan, but those last few miles are probably going to be rough.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Wow. I am not sure how Garmin comes up with these numbers, but I would say that is EXTREMELY optimistic. A 1:37 half-marathon would be almost a minute per mile faster than your 10K PR? That doesn't even really make sense. (For comparison, my 10K PR is slightly under 45 minutes and I have just BARELY been able to eek out a sub 1:40 half marathon on two occasions and that was with dedicated training including multiple training runs greater than the HM distance).

As others have advised, I would try to get in at least one, preferably two training runs of 10 miles if you can. If not, you can still probably run the half marathon, but you might want to reserve any expectations with regards to your time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm running a HM in April but finding time to train will be tough since the first quarter is my busy time at work and we have a brand new baby at home. It's been tough to get out of the house for more than an hour.

Given those time constraints, I've had to limit my runs to 6 or 7 miles max with even that distance something I can only make the time to do one time per week on a Saturday or Sunday. Most of my daily runs are ~4.5 miles since I can get dressed, out the door, and done in only 45 minutes.

Luckily, I can generally get out 4 or 5 mornings per week and average between 20 and 25 miles per week.

Do you think I'll have any problems finishing the half if I just keep doing what I've been doing? I don't have any speed goals with this one and will likely be fine with any finish less than 2 hours (barely faster than my easy training pace).

My main concern is that I've never run 13 miles before. My longest run thus far is about 8.5 miles though that didn't leave me feeling too tired or beat up and I do think I could have gone further if time had allowed.

Would it help if I upped my speed training over the shorter distances?

Generally for a first HM I'd be recommending two or three ten milers beforehand, the final 3 miles should be comfortable with that.

Given what you're intending, doubling your longest session on race day, is likely to be pretty challenging. You'll get there but I wouldn't imagine a particularly fun time.

What might help is using ultra training methodology and doing two longs at the weekend. You'll at least get more used to running on tired legs doing two 7s.
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In my experience with runners and running speed is not going to benefit you in lack of distance training. I’m afraid you’re setting yourself up for an injury or a miserable race. Sure you may go out there and be fine, but I don’t think that’s the point of having a goal race. I’d be concerned you’ll burn yourself out trying to go faster instead of pacing yourself and having a high quality run. Also, I work with ultra marathon runners but they all started small at some point too. My true measure of fitness (especially running) is how I feel directly after the run (not totally wasted) and the subsequent days. If the race is in April I’d work on getting to 10 and 11 mike days at least. Best of luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd also say to really pay attention to what your body is telling you and walk if necessary...if my wife had done that instead of trying to power through, she likely wouldn't have been transported to the hospital.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Wow. I am not sure how Garmin comes up with these numbers, but I would say that is EXTREMELY optimistic. A 1:37 half-marathon would be almost a minute per mile faster than your 10K PR? That doesn't even really make sense. (For comparison, my 10K PR is slightly under 45 minutes and I have just BARELY been able to eek out a sub 1:40 half marathon on two occasions and that was with dedicated training including multiple training runs greater than the HM distance).

As others have advised, I would try to get in at least one, preferably two training runs of 10 miles if you can. If not, you can still probably run the half marathon, but you might want to reserve any expectations with regards to your time.

I'd need a golf cart to hit Garmin's predictions for my race times! I don't know where they come from either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd need a golf cart to hit Garmin's predictions for my race times! I don't know where they come from either.

Mine reckons I can do a 20 minute 5K.

LMAO...
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you look at training programs, you'll find that training programs certainly don't have you run 13 mi every day. You usually have one long run that falls on the weekend. And you have until April. If you regularly get in 6 mi runs and a long run on the weekend, you'll be okay. Take care of yourself, practice fueling, and resting and you'll be okay.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL based on your 10K time it's guessing your half time?

that's ADORABLE.

You're likely to be able to finish if you just pace yourself (as mentioned) but I was a solid runner- I can do a 5 no problem with no training- I'd be able to yog a 10 around 10-11 min miles if forced. Doing a half with minimal training would have killed me.

I trained for the last one I did- pretty religiously and averaged good times- and just barely broke two hours.

Being said- if you can manage ONE long run on the weekends- you're going to be in great shape. Hal's program costs like 5-7 bucks and is a great app- I would highly recommend it.