Scale weight

So I have a question that people may be able to relate to. I have been on a health change journey for the past three years. I am 5'2" and I had gained up to 180 pounds when I made the decision to get healthy. This week, the scale is saying 150 pounds, but I am fitting into a jeans size 3/4 which I haven't done in 10+ years. My question is, what effect does the scale weight have on your mental perspective of yourself? I've seen fantastic changes in my body composition, I see the reduction in measurements, I fit into smaller clothes, but why 150 lbs and why does the scale weight bother me so much?!

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Wow! Congratulations on your amazing success! Sometimes I freak out a little when I see a number that sounds "heavy", but I'm basically maintaining my goal weight within 3 to 5 pounds. What is your goal weight? I have finally accepted the fact that the scale number will not be what I want it to be, but I let go of the feeling that I've somehow failed if it's high. Really, the number doesn't determine my worth as a human being. When I start to feel bad about it, I dig around in my closet and pull out those jeans that are labeled a size that is smaller than I dreamed I would be able to wear. Those are the numbers that matter to me now.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    We are inclined to place too much importance on the scale. By the sounds of it you are doing great but 150lbs for your height means you are still in an overweight BMI. Although if you have a lot of muscle then BMI can't always be taken too literally. Especially as you are in small sized jeans you are doing something right :smile:

I'm same height as you and at 150 I was overweight and a UK size 14. But I was unfit. When I started here on MFP, I increased my fitness and lost weight, with each 10lbs lost I could see the improvements in my physique and I felt slim even when I was 140lbs because of muscle. However it took me getting to 125lbs (UK size 8/10 which is equivilent to USA 4/6) to be really happy with my body as I like a leaner look. Everyone is different.

If you're happy with your progress then be happy with your weight regardless of what the scale says.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    This is honestly something I will never understand...I really don't care about a number on the scale, but I see so many people obsess about an arbitrary number and I don't get it at all.

A number is just a number...I care about my health status, what I see in the mirror, and my fitness.
  • taragaddy26
    taragaddy26 Posts: 22 Member
    I really have gotten to a place where the number does not affect me nearly as much as it used to. The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is like someone pointed out, 150 lbs on my height is considered overweight. I can look in the mirror and appreciate how much my body has changed. I do strength training three times a week and 2 days of cardio. Strength training has increased my muscle mass tremendously. I guess I just needed to know if the technically overweight thing bothers anyone else. My current goal weight is 140 and once I reach that I will adjust. I'm fluctuating between 146 and 150. I guess I just needed someone else to say, the scale weight is small potatoes.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    First off, you must be one solid woman - Congrats - Very jealous!

If you like what you see when you look in the mirror, I'd say scale weight, for you, doesn't count for much.

In comparison, I'm 5'11, weigh 142 (BMI of 20) currently and can't fit in anything less than a 4/6 US. When I'm in the low 150's I'm a solid size 8. I'm a 12/14 when I'm at the top of my healthy BMI (179). For me, the scale matters.

For you, I'd say you are ready for maintainance. Congrats again, I wish you all success.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    It bothers me too I have lost 11 lb this year and I can fit better in jeans that were right at Christmas but I hop on the scale and all that goes out of the window because the numbers haven't changed this week or worse have gone up :/ I actually don't feel bad about how I look ATM just that dam number
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited February 2018
    You're fluctuating. Are you using a trending weight app?

Try trendweight.com, weightgrapher.com, happy scale for iPhone or Libra for Android.

Get in there and also enter your past figures, maybe even going all the way to 180.

TOM, different / more intense exercise, sodium, etc, will all spike your weight.

Even though I generally think that for most people BMI is a good enough first proxy for their general fat level, it is only a one test and needs more than that to complete the picture. Size 3/4 jeans, or even the next size up, do not screem overweight to me. What does your doctor think? How do YOU feel when you look at pictures of you with you head obscured and without knowing your weight that day?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    I use libra only just started and I'm not sure I understand it it's telling me that I weigh 12stone 10 but my scale says 12.9 and I don't understand why some red dots are on the line and some look like they are hanging on string underneath :/
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    I use libra only just started and I'm not sure I understand it it's telling me that I weigh 12stone 10 but my scale says 12.9 and I don't understand why some red dots are on the line and some look like they are hanging on string underneath :/

Libra is giving you the trend of your underlying weight level.

That is the point of Libra, to separate the underlying level from your daily number.

Your level is the line/string.

Your daily weigh ins pull it up or down.

If you have many lower weigh ins, it stands to reason that you're probably losing weight... so the string comes down.

If you have one big weigh in, the string will link a tiny bit (because you did weigh more) but chances are good that it won't start really moving up unless you get several high weigh ins... and then it will, because your general weight level has gone up.

Just go with the flow and think of yourself at 12 10 today. It takes several 12 9s before you're "established" as a 12 9. And several 12 11s before your "established" as a 12 11!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Maybe get a dexa scan if it's available in your area. Once you know your fat percentage it might help you get context for the scales. Also google some pictures showing fat compared with equal weight of muscle. The visuals may help your brain to place less importance on the scale amount
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Is that a recent picture of you?
  • taragaddy26
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Is that a recent picture of you?

Yes the picture is just from just under two weeks ago.
  • taragaddy26
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You're fluctuating. Are you using a trending weight app?

Try trendweight.com, weightgrapher.com, happy scale for iPhone or Libra for Android.

Get in there and also enter your past figures, maybe even going all the way to 180.

TOM, different / more intense exercise, sodium, etc, will all spike your weight.

Even though I generally think that for most people BMI is a good enough first proxy for their general fat level, it is only a one test and needs more than that to complete the picture. Size 3/4 jeans, or even the next size up, do not screem overweight to me. What does your doctor think? How do YOU feel when you look at pictures of you with you head obscured and without knowing your weight that day?

I am definitely going to try that. I didn't know anything like that existed. I know I'm fluctuating but it has gone up for a week and not come back down. I haven't been to a doctor in quite awhile. I feel pretty decent, most days, about my body. I think I've retained a lot more weight in the midsection then I'm okay with but it isn't where it was three years ago. I just am bothered by that number. That I work pretty hard and it doesn't move as much as I'd like. I know it shouldn't bother me and I see my measurements going down. I also know three years ago I could barely squeeze in a 13 jeans and that's quite a large jump from what I am now.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I've been using Libra lately. The scale is pretty much holding steady(ish) and Libra is showing the same trend. That being said, I'm seeing changes in measurements relatively regularly, albeit not huge (I'm mostly recomping right now due to my fitness needs/priorities)...

But that being said, does that number bother me - YES. I can't lie. I'm doing better about ignoring it, but yes, it bothers me. A lot. I have weight to lose, there's no doubt about that, but no one would look at me and go "she's overweight" even though my BMI is at the high end of "normal" for my size (5'7", hovering around 155 pounds).

My goal weight is based off my weight when I was previously healthy and fit, so it's not just some arbitrary number I picked - so yes, that number definitely bothers me, but right now I'm trying to mostly ignore it and focus on my current goals (which is fitness, regaining strength, and rebuilding atrophied muscles).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    OP, it's hard to tell if you are an apple from your pic, but I can say that your legs look about the same as mine at 50lbs less. You must me almost all solid muscle unless you are hiding a spare tire under that shirt. I would not be concerned about the scale weight. If your measurements are down, your health markers are good, your strength is increasing and you feel good about how you look, I would throw that scale out the window. Pictures are a great way to judge your BF% to make sure you are in a healthy range.
  • taragaddy26
    OP, it's hard to tell if you are an apple from your pic, but I can say that your legs look about the same as mine at 50lbs less. You must me almost all solid muscle unless you are hiding a spare tire under that shirt. I would not be concerned about the scale weight. If your measurements are down, your health markers are good, your strength is increasing and you feel good about how you look, I would throw that scale out the window. Pictures are a great way to judge your BF% to make sure you are in a healthy range.

My scarf was huge that day! LOL my measurements put me at more of a pear, maybe. My hips are about 1 inch bigger than my bust size. My waist is about 9 inches smaller than my bust size. I can't say I'm hour glass because it simply doesn't look that way to me. I think I definitely need to give the scale a rest and go by my measurements. At least for awhile. I think O really would like to see other women with my height and weight. I have actually googled that and what I see in the images isn't what I feel that I look like on a good day. I suppose the bottom line would be that everyone carries weight differently. My legs are probably one of my favorite things right now! They have more definition than they've had ever but they're still hanging onto fat. Can you gain muscle and not lost fat?! Maybe I should put more focus into my diet and see if that changes things.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited February 2018
    The number on the scale has never really meant much to me. However, I have been very dissatisfied with my physical and mental health and I understand that losing weight has helped this a lot.

The number on the scale is one of many useful ways for me to gauge my progress.
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    The scale weight, for me, was just my goal. My goal was to get back down to the weight that my license says. I had to go up a size in jeans, but within 3 months, I'm needing to get back to my original size. It sucks because jeans are not cheap! I'm just ecstatic because my thighs are smaller and it makes me feel great! That and my stomach is all I have ever cared about losing... and not lose my butt!