Is there anyone else there losing weight as slowly as me!?

Options
It takes me like 3-4 months to lose 10 lbs! And sometimes I'll only lose like 2 lbs in a 3 month increment! Am I alone?? I feel like the lbs fall off for everyone but me!

Replies

• 1goodymom67
    Options
    I feel your pain!! It has taken me 2 years to lose 30 lbs. Stay positive a loss is a loss and the slower you take it off the more likely you will keep it off. Chin up!! You can do it!! Keep on doing what you are doing you will make it!!
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    BTW if that is you, you look great!! You have made progress!!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Not alone! It's taken me 3years to lose my weight. I'm not always the most consistent with my calories or my exercise, but I'd do it all again even if it took twice as long! :flowerforyou:
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Same here hun. i started here in April and after doing the 30 day shred in May i lost 6lb and thought hey this is great but since then ive only lost 1lb. Weight loss tends to slow right down the less you have to loose and looking at your pics you have done fantastic!!!!! Im just gonna stick in with it and even though slow, wait for the last 5lb to move and they do say loosing slowly is better than rapid.
  • khicks91011
    khicks91011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    chin up, the slower the loss, the more permanent because your making life changes that will last...its easy to loose 10lbs in two weeks but it all comes back....your doing fantastic, stay positive! :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I’m that way right now. I guess my body is in a funk or something. I actually added more calories to my diet yesterday to jump start my metabolism. It scares the bejeebers outta me that I’m going to gain weight over it…, gulp.
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    Options
    Sounds like you're losing about 1/2 lb a week which is pretty good. @1goodymom67 is right. The slower you take it off, the more likely you are to keep it off. Also remember when you first start losing weight, the first 10 lbs or so is just water weight so newbies are going to lose weight a little faster initially. If you are comparing your weight loss to others, keep that in mind. Your photos look great. Don't give up!!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Well you have come this far, You look good! Dont lose focus on what you have accomplished
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I lost weight quickly at first, but it's slowed down, as it is likely to do eventually. Your body gets in a high calorie burn, and when there isn't as much fat to resort to, it starts thinking it needs to conserve unless you up your food intake to compensate. I was consuming around 1,700 calories/day at the beginning of my journey last year, and I've been tweaking and it seems I found my groove again this past week by eating closer to 2,400 calories/day. More activity means you need more fuel to keep the fires burning. At least, that's been my experience.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too. I tend to plateau for a long time and then lose three pounds all at once. The plateaus are discouraging, and the weight loss is slow, but the weight is coming off.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lost weight quickly at first, but it's slowed down, as it is likely to do eventually. Your body gets in a high calorie burn, and when there isn't as much fat to resort to, it starts thinking it needs to conserve unless you up your food intake to compensate. I was consuming around 1,700 calories/day at the beginning of my journey last year, and I've been tweaking and it seems I found my groove again this past week by eating closer to 2,400 calories/day. More activity means you need more fuel to keep the fires burning. At least, that's been my experience.

I'm still probably 60 pounds above my ideal weight, so I don't have the excuse of not having much fat for my body to burn. I was losing about 6 pounds a month eating 1700-1900 calories and doing cardio only. Then I switched to cardio plus weights and the weight loss slowed way down. I can feel muscles I genuinely did not have before (not just muscles that are more visible b/c there's less fat on top of them, but genuinely new tissue), I'm sure part of the slow loss is that I'm gaining muscle at the same time that I'm losing fat. I'm happy about the new muscles, and I thought I was emotionally prepared to slow or stop losing weight while I gained muscle, but it turns out I'm not.

So I took a break from everything over the weekend, and starting today I'm going back to cardio only for a while to see if I can start losing again. I'm trying to stick to 1500-1700 calories (1000-1200 net), but I haven't been great about that while lifting either, b/c I'm so hungry all the time. I'm hoping going back to cardio only will help with that as well.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*, mines came off sort of quickly at first which I think is normal for most people just starting out but I've been exercising and eating just OK for the past 3-4weeks only to just maintain my current weight. it's discouraging but not enough to make me want to give up. you'll get there Michelle.
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sameeeee! I've hardly lost anything and i've been at this for over 3 months.. it's so freekin frustrating!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not alone! I'm getting close to the one year mark & I haven't even lost 40 lbs :(
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    From February until I joined MFP 2 months ago I had lost 30 pounds. Since joining here I've lost 4. I lost one of those in July, I have 23 pounds left.
    I am shrinking and firming up but it would be nice to see the scale go down at least some. It's getting very frustrating.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I lost quickly in the beginning but it has taken me forever to melt the last 15-20 pounds away ( still working at it) but I think someone else said it it is more permanent that way, becuase you are living the lifestyle....just realize the are melting just slowly..and it is completely worth it!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You are SOO not alone! I lost 18lbs in the first 3 months I started here. It's now taken me EIGHT months- yes, EIGHT looong months to lose another 14lbs. It is seriously frustrating and I am NO WHERE near my goal. :sad:
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I confess I sigh and sort of roll my eyes at any program that promises more than a half a pound a week average because for me, it never works that way. I even tried Medifast once and lost more hair than weight! lol I tend to go 2-3 weeks or more with no loss then I'll drop a couple of pounds even though I didn't change anything.

I've embraced a slow and steady wins the race mindset. It would be much more motivating to see more results quicker but I live in reality and know it just isn't going to work that way for me unless I attack it like they do on The Biggest Loser and that is not going to happen (I have issues with that show! lol)..

Keep up your good work! You've obviously made some headway in this. A year from now it will be better to have lost another 15-25 pounds than to do nothing. That's what I tell myself every morning.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You are SOO not alone! I lost 18lbs in the first 3 months I started here. It's now taken me EIGHT months- yes, EIGHT looong months to lose another 14lbs. It is seriously frustrating and I am NO WHERE near my goal. :sad:

I feel your pain!
  • charsauce
    Options
    EVERYONE's body is different. Have you tried zigzag diets (I HATE the word diet, but I mean ways of eating more or less.) like low carbs one week and normal the next, just to see what helps you lose more effectively?