Milk by... WEIGHT!?!?!

Options

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    My scale has specific setting for weighing milk, not that i use it, but...

That's kind of cool. Can it differentiate between butterfat percentages?

Not who you asked, but mine just has a single setting for milk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    As a sidenote Ann, I've noticed that for the quantities I use (generally less than 5g) Pam spray which includes propellant and oil... well the negative spray can method, and measuring the frying pan or casserole before and/after spraying yielded identical results the three times I tried (I was using a full gram rounding scale). So I now go with the negative spray can method for ease :blush:

That was not the result I got when I tried it (with spray olive oil). There was an unreasonably large reading for a small duration of spray. It made so many exclamation points pop up around my head that I didn't try it 3 times. I'll try it again on your recommendation.

For the spray whipping cream, I'm thinking you underestimate my desired portion size. I rarely buy it, but when I do, I might as well log ((labeled servings per can) X (labeled calories per serving)), because the whole thing will be gone in a few days anyway. Happily, there are surprisingly few calories in a full can . . . lots, but still surprisingly few. ;)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have 200ml of Almond milk in my smoothie everyday, all i did was measure the 200ml in a measuring cup, and pour into another cup on my scale to see the actual weight, I did the same with my regular milk. So now,i don't bother with annoying measuring cups for milk any more.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    If I'm just pouring it into coffee or tea or on cereal, or pouring it into a glass or cup to drink, without following a recipe that specifies the amount by volume, it's a lot easier to weigh than to use (and dirty) a measuring cup or measuring spoon. I use USDA entries for commodities like milk (by fat %) and half and half, and they all have serving unit options in grams.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun weighing my wine in oz. Is there any reason this wouldn't be very accurate? I'm logging 25 cal per oz. I figure wine is not much denser than water, but not sure how accurate this is.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun weighing my wine in oz. Is there any reason this wouldn't be very accurate? I'm logging 25 cal per oz. I figure wine is not much denser than water, but not sure how accurate this is.

http://web2.slc.qc.ca/jmc/w05/Wine/results.htm
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Slightly less (not more) dense, which means weighing in ounces and using that number to log with an entry where the serving unit is fluid ounces means that you're slightly under-counting the calories. It's not a big deal, unless you're drinking a lot on a regular basis, in which case I'd be more concerned about how you're fitting in the nutrients your body needs within your calorie limit (among other things).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I am the odd one out - on this thread anyway - I dont weigh these things.

the only time I have whipped cream is when I am out somewhere and treat myself to a cake or something - and then I guesstimate the amount - because not home with scale.

The skim milk in my coffee I measured once in ml - I then just assume every coffee I have has same amount -because averages out.
    I have been drinking white coffee for years, my mugs are all around the same size and I know how I like it, proportions are not going to change significantly.

If i drink plain milk or put milk in a recipe, I measure it in mls with little jug - no more contorting to read that than to read scale and then gets poured from there straight into mixing bowl or my drinking cup.

Or i drink it directly from measuring jug, done that before.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I weigh most liquids and generally just assume the density is the same as water, because for most drinkable liquids, it is.

The only things which are going to make a drinkable liquid a different density are fat (makes it lighter), alcohol (lighter) and sugar (heavier). Fibre, eg in smoothies or soup, is more or less neutral buoyancy and has no noticeable effect one way or the other. Even wet foods like stews are very close to water density. It's low-moisture foods, and foods that trap air (eg ice cream, whipped cream), that can be drastically different.

Fat content in even whole milk is so low that the difference is within margin of error - 4% fat only makes a 0.8% difference in density. Kitchen scales just aren't that accurate! Sugar content likewise, and even alcohol won't make a noticeable difference unless we're talking about hard spirits.

Granted heavy cream will be noticeably lighter than water, but you're still looking at a bigger inaccuracy in using a volume measure than the density difference would produce.

I weigh oil, too. It's 80% as dense as water, roughly, so 8g is 10ml. I just estimate that in my head.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Just to add, in case anyone is wondering "what about salt?" - even if you're a salt junkie, the concentration in your food is too low to materially affect the density. Even sea water is only 2.5% more dense than fresh, and sea water is, proverbially, far too salty to drink.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I measure it in mls with little jug - no more contorting to read that than to read scale
    Interesting and in reference to the above, as well as CattOftheGarage's mention that density differences in weighing may be less than the margin of error when reading off volume measurements.

And I note that I have zero doubt that approximate volume information is more than enough to provide appropriate estimates for millions of people, including yourself :smiley:

But when you eye ball measure volume in something like the 2 cup pyrex container that I use and you don't bend down (or squat as Ann mentioned up thread) to have your eyes level with your fill line you often end up with a parallax error.

Also not all cup containers are identical.
    They seem even less calibrated than scales!!

In other words, yes, the margin of error in measuring volume is, I think, higher than scale weight even if with the potential temperature and density issues that exist when measuring liquids on a scale

This point, of course, in no way means that it is *necessary* for anyone/everyone to measure that way.

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my liquids because the website I use to track my foods has gram measurements for liquids, and I can’t be bothered to dirty measuring spoons and cups. If there is any error I figure it’s not big enough to make any difference.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I weigh most liquids and generally just assume the density is the same as water, because for most drinkable liquids, it is.

The only things which are going to make a drinkable liquid a different density are fat (makes it lighter), alcohol (lighter) and sugar (heavier). Fibre, eg in smoothies or soup, is more or less neutral buoyancy and has no noticeable effect one way or the other. Even wet foods like stews are very close to water density. It's low-moisture foods, and foods that trap air (eg ice cream, whipped cream), that can be drastically different.

Fat content in even whole milk is so low that the difference is within margin of error - 4% fat only makes a 0.8% difference in density. Kitchen scales just aren't that accurate! Sugar content likewise, and even alcohol won't make a noticeable difference unless we're talking about hard spirits.

Granted heavy cream will be noticeably lighter than water, but you're still looking at a bigger inaccuracy in using a volume measure than the density difference would produce.

I weigh oil, too. It's 80% as dense as water, roughly, so 8g is 10ml. I just estimate that in my head.

But if you're going to weigh it anyway, why not use an entry with a serving size based on weight, at least for "commodities" like milk, cream, oils that the USDA provides nutrient information for serving sizes in grams and (not fluid) ounces?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I weigh salad dressings and liquid condiments after taring the food on the scale. Usually in grams or ml depending on the label. I've only weighed cashew milk into cereal once in mls.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As an experiment, last night I used a tablespoon (15ml) to measure out and then weigh water, single cream and skimmed milk. A full spoonful of each weighed exactly the same on my scale in both grams and mls. I'll continue to weigh my liquids as I do all my other foods.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    As an experiment, last night I used a tablespoon (15ml) to measure out and then weigh water, single cream and skimmed milk. A full spoonful of each weighed exactly the same on my scale in both grams and mls. I'll continue to weigh my liquids as I do all my other foods.

I don't doubt at all that these were the results you got.

1000ml of 2% milk at 20C and 1 atmosphere weighs 1033g, so 15ml weigh 15.05g
    1000ml of 20% milk at 20C and 1 atmosphere weighs 1012g, so 15ml weigh 15.18g
    Whereas 1000ml of water at 20C and 1 atmosphere would weigh 998.21g, and so 15ml would weight 14.97g

Even assuming you actually managed to get precisely 15ml in each spoonful, most scales would show all of the above as exactly 15g.

(info from: https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/AliciaNoelleJones.shtml and https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html)

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    1000ml of 2% milk at 20C and 1 atmosphere weighs 1033g, so 15ml weigh 15.05g 15.495g

FIFY :drinker:
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    TY!
    I run out of fingers and was using the dog's dewclaws, but she moved them too far to the right on me :lol:
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    TY!
    I run out of fingers and was using the dog's dewclaws, but she moved them too far to the right on me :lol:

Well that's a relief. I thought you might be doing the division in your head and had a spasm. :wink:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I measure it in mls with little jug - no more contorting to read that than to read scale
    Interesting and in reference to the above, as well as CattOftheGarage's mention that density differences in weighing may be less than the margin of error when reading off volume measurements.

And I note that I have zero doubt that approximate volume information is more than enough to provide appropriate estimates for millions of people, including yourself :smiley:

But when you eye ball measure volume in something like the 2 cup pyrex container that I use and you don't bend down (or squat as Ann mentioned up thread) to have your eyes level with your fill line you often end up with a parallax error.

Also not all cup containers are identical.
    They seem even less calibrated than scales!!

In other words, yes, the margin of error in measuring volume is, I think, higher than scale weight even if with the potential temperature and density issues that exist when measuring liquids on a scale

This point, of course, in no way means that it is *necessary* for anyone/everyone to measure that way.

Correct - totally not neccesary for me.

Which is why I dont do it.