Calories not being counted

Options
Does anyone know why my calories for the steps I’ve done aren’t being counted/added onto my daily amount.

Normally I don’t do exercise other than walking so it just counts the steps and adds calories for the amount I’ve burned. But this morning I went swimming and added it to my exercise and it’s counted that and added it to my daily amount but it hasn’t adde
any for my steps I’ve done?

Can anyone help?
I’ve attached some photos to show the difference

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It looks like you haven't walked enough steps to add extra calories.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You have to meet a minimum threshold based on your activity level before it will add the extra calories.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ^^ what they said ^^
  • rachelreilly27
    rachelreilly27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure I fully understand, so if I burned 300 calories doing swimming but only 299 calories doing walking then the walking wouldn’t really count???
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    It doesn't want to double dip your exercise calories so if you want you can manually enter in your steps walked as a separate exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,445 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Burning 300kcal from walking would be a very long walk. You look very thin on your photo. Say 150lbs (I'm sure that's way too high), but anyway.. to burn 300kcal walking purpousfully at 150lbs you'd need to walk about
    300/(150*0.3) = 6.7 miles.

Other than that, mfp assumes you walk a certain number of steps based on your activity level. Yes, what you set as your activity level is without sport, but activity is also based on what you do for work. If you constantly walk around you are more active than when you have a desk job. So part of those steps are already part of your activity level.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What activity level are you set to?

~Lyssa
  • rachelreilly27
    Options
    It was just an example to know whether those steps would count I don’t plan to walk to burn off 300 calories haha, but I just find it strange that just because I’ve added in the fact I’ve been swimming it hasn’t took into account I’ve also walked as well, it’s as if the walking is pointless
  • rachelreilly27
    Options
    And I work in an office so sit down all day, my activity is set to the lowest one
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,445 Member
    Options
    I think the lowest activity level accounts for about 5000 steps a day? or 8000? I don't know the exact numbers, but thereabouts.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,743 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The issue is simple. You added your swim to MFP.

But not to whatever device provides your step count

MFP doesn't give you calories for steps. It just adjusts your calories burned based on the input of the other device.

What the other device doesn't know about...
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you are set to the lowest activity level extra calories will not be added until you have 5000 steps as those are already accounted for within that activity level. This would be why you have extra calories in the first but not the second image. The swimming is irrelevant to this.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip linked to MFP and it doesn't give me any extra calories burned if my steps are low. I haven't worked out at what figure it starts but for example

Sunday 2415 Steps (1 mile) and no added calories
    Today 7044 Steps (3 miles) and 248 calories added.

So yeah I would agree that you have to walk a certain amount before it classes the steps as extra and therefore earns you calories.
  • gamerbabe14
    Options
    In my experience, as someone who's using my iPhone as the step counter, I get calories burned for every step...not after 5k steps but after a hundred or so. My activity level is set to not very active. So every step counts for me. I've noticed that when I enter in other exercise, those steps are eliminated bc I am assuming MFP thinks those steps might have been included in my manually entered exercise entry. When typically it's not. So as a workaround, I check my calories burned for my steps before I enter in my manual entry so I can add back those calories burned. I don't know if that's the easiest or best way to do it but it works for me.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yes, 3500 steps would be the level where you normally start seeing calories added for steps when set as sedentary.

That said, logged swimming will increase the MFP total and negate any extra calories front the step counter until the number from the counter exceeds mfp's total.

So the counter would have to know about the swim (a Fitbit would if integration is working properly. Others I don't know if they would. Pacer for example didn't use to a few years back.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've done 3,300 steps so far this morning, and have received 101 calories on mfp for them. I'm set at sedentary.
  • Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I’ve got 5000 steps in and it’s given me 240 calories. I think others are right, you haven’t walked enough yet to get extra calories.
  • gamerbabe14
    Options
    I've got 3200 steps for 40 calories set to sedentary.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've got 3200 steps for 40 calories set to sedentary.

Same steps as me, 60 calories less than i got. Must be quite a difference in our height /weight. I'm 5"8 and 154lbs

• PAV8888
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The time of day, speed, and how many bouts the steps were generated in will have more to do with this than height or stride length or weight.

The steps are either determining an activity factor to multiply BMR by or are using MET values times length of activity (depending on device used to count them and translate them into calories).

BMR already takes height and weight into account.