Runner's knee

Options
I'm training for a 10k and I've had some discomfort in my right knee for the last week or so. It doesn't hurt, it just always feels tired and feels like it needs to pop. I've read that this is commonly referred to as runner's knee. I'm not running daily, so I am resting it several days a week. However, i do need to continue training and I'm worried about injury. I just bought a compression sleeve, as well. Anything else I should be doing to take care of this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd see a physio.

Do you cross train or do any strength training?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    TFG_em wrote: »
    I'm training for a 10k and I've had some discomfort in my right knee for the last week or so. It doesn't hurt, it just always feels tired and feels like it needs to pop. I've read that this is commonly referred to as runner's knee. I'm not running daily, so I am resting it several days a week. However, i do need to continue training and I'm worried about injury. I just bought a compression sleeve, as well. Anything else I should be doing to take care of this?

What kind of volume are you doing now and how much longer do you have to train for the 10K? How hard are the miles that you're running?

Be careful with anything related to joint discomfort. Running is a tough sport and you've got to give yourself plenty of time to adjust. If you can't get to the doctor, it might be worth giving yourself a full week off from running at the very least.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    There are Jumper's Knee straps that go around the knee. It helped me for a while, but ultimately I tried everything to stop the pain that started after 3 years of running. I had chronic runner's knee in my left knee. I ended up giving up running and now stick to a rowing machine for cardio.

I wish you luck. That can be hard to get rid of. Look up "jumper knee strap". These will help with your immediate pain. Rest, ice and this and working with a PT if needed. I did try everything and mine didn't go away. It would get better for a time but come back with a vengeance.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out. In the meantime, try RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).

From personal experience, minor knee discomfort can *very quickly* turn into major, long-term knee pain if it's not addressed. In my initial push to get up to 10k, I developed knee pain that I thought I could work through. I wound up with six months of physical therapy, a year of not running, and a lingering injury that still bothers me today if I don't care for that knee properly. Oh, and I had to drop out of my 10k.

You don't "need to continue training;" you need to take care of your body, unless you want to risk a much more severe injury.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    TFG_em wrote: »

See a physio. Absolutely do not use any kind of support of strapping until you've had a diagnosis. The knee is a complex joint and the correct treatment for one problem could easily exacerbate another. You don't want to make it worse, despite well meaning advice about strapping or supports.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I struggled with my knee during training for my first marathon. Strapping was 100% the wrong thing for me, I needed to strengthen certain muscles and slow down my mileage increase. I overtrained myself and ended up having to not run for the entire taper and having a very painful first marathon.

See a physio. Self-taping should only be done when you have enough background and experience to know what your problem areas are and what fixes work for you.
  • jmredinger
    jmredinger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it checked out. I had the same type of pain a couple years ago during cross country but ignored it for a little while, and to this day running kills my knee, IT band, and hips. I can no longer run on the treadmill. I have to use the elliptical. Please don’t ignore it!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Those straps people are mentioning did absolutely nothing for my knee. They did cause me to delay getting treatment because I thought I was addressing the problem. Don’t self treat knee pain unless you have a diagnosis and have been taught what to do by a professional.
  • workmani
    workmani Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, get it looked at but I have had runners knee and for me it was a combo of not having good shoes and trying to do too much too fast. Better to just do a 5k and avoid injury than really hurt yourself and get sidelined for weeks or months.