achilles tendonitis???

Options
Any one offer any help?

If i do lunges or stretch my legs out at any point, or try and point my toes towards my head i get this searing pain at the back of my ankle, the bone or whatever, is very tender to pressure even light pressure and in the morning upon waking, i tend to stumble as the pain (left foot only) is overwhelming - going up and down stairs is painful.

I have an appt with my GP on Monday... But wondered if anyone here could relate?

Replies

• upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi..a friend of mine is going through the same.. you might have hurt yourself while exercising.. but in his case, its because of his weight..his weight has been fluctuating and whenever he crosses a certain point, it starts to hurt again. I hope you feel better soon :)
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can relate, and it's also my left foot. Back in November my tendon slipped out of place. The doctor officially diagnosed it as bursitis but I still have issues now. It's worse in the morning. I point my toes when I sleep. I've tried sleeping with an ankle brace on to keep my ankle bent and the tendon from tightening, but I often forget. Range of motion exercises don't seem to help very much. When I sit, I try to stretch my leg underneath me so that it keeps that tendon stretched.
  • crystal0563
    Options
    I had the same injury. I taped it up really good for days and kept working out. It healed well.. Medical Tape. and ICe and Heat..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes lol...do not wear high heals at all(you will pay for it the next morning)...umm no hill walking that will kill you....and stay off the lunges ect try to a bit lighter like walking and stuff it should be ok then but if you have got it, it can take a while tillit's better(months)! soory about the bad news...
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing going on now...I'm thinking mine may be plantar fascists. I'm seeing a podiatrist today and will hopefully get some answers and relief from the pain. I'll let you know what he says.... I hope you get answers and relief soon too. It's awful!!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my ankle. When I run, it flares up like it's on fire. I've been through physical therapy, but there's really not much they can do about it. I did those daily exercises for months and months with no help. I don't enjoy running anyway so I'll just live with it and not run.
  • sduncks
    sduncks Posts: 3
    Options
    I had this last fall... definitely go see the doc! If you wait too long (like i did) you will have to go to PT and do non-impact exercises for 6 weeks. Don't skimp during PT, if you do it right you will be back on track at the end of it.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there.

If you don't have an appointment for a week, I would recommend resting that ankle as much as possible and stretching. I know it hurts now, but you don't want it to get any tighter. Also, ice. Before and after workouts, it'll help with any swelling. If you've been running or walking more and want to keep working out, try cycling or swimming. Search achilles tendonitis in the forums, you should find plenty**This is all for assuming it is indeed tendonitis**

Good luck with the appointment! Let us know how it goes!
  • joanzeb
    joanzeb Posts: 1
    Options
    Google plantar fasciitis and see if it sounds like what you're dealing with. I'm just finding out that I have this. My pain is in the back of my heel which I thought was a heal spur...turns out it's plantar fasciitis. I've found some exercises that actually are helping already. There's lots of into on the internet about this...sounds pretty common, but still a pain in the...well...heel! Good luck.

The most common complaint is pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel. The heel pain may be dull or sharp. The bottom of the foot may also ache or burn.

The pain is usually worse:

In the morning when you take your first steps

After standing or sitting for a while

When climbing stairs

After intense activity

The pain may develop slowly over time, or suddenly after intense activity.
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    thanks guys!! input appreciated!!

High heels are the only relief i get if you see what i mean - i stopped wearing heels thinking they were the issue, but i wear flatties everyday now, and its not allieviated at all!!
    when im in heels there is no pain - when im on tiptoes...no pain, its almost like that up and down range of movement is the issue and i should have done something about it long before now...

Hopefully it will be a simple thing rather than something i have to live with....

x
  • kitty0767
    kitty0767 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hurt my left ankle a few months ago. Exact same symptoms.. stiff in the morning, going down stairs & lunges really hurt. I avoided the things that hurt... do squats instead of lunges, lead with the other foot going down stairs. Don't walk any distance in heels... walking in flats or low heels with good support seemed to help me. I am happy to say it is finally better.. perhaps if you're under 40 it won't take so long :)
  • k1229
    Options

The pain is usually worse:

In the morning when you take your first steps

After standing or sitting for a while

When climbing stairs

After intense activity

all of these are applicable. esp after the gym. but its not affecting the underside of my foot or my actual heel.
  • k1229
    Options
    I hurt my left ankle a few months ago. Exact same symptoms.. stiff in the morning, going down stairs & lunges really hurt. I avoided the things that hurt... do squats instead of lunges, lead with the other foot going down stairs. Don't walk any distance in heels... walking in flats or low heels with good support seemed to help me. I am happy to say it is finally better.. perhaps if you're under 40 it won't take so long :)

thank you!!! im 27. fingers crossed.
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

High heels are the only relief i get if you see what i mean - i stopped wearing heels thinking they were the issue, but i wear flatties everyday now, and its not allieviated at all!!
    when im in heels there is no pain - when im on tiptoes...no pain, its almost like that up and down range of movement is the issue and i should have done something about it long before now...

Hopefully it will be a simple thing rather than something i have to live with....

x

The wearing heels thing? Yeah, that's because it's not being stretched. Wearing heels too often actually keeps the tendon from stretching properly. Wearing flats can definitely be painful, but will be beneficial. Just be aware of how much you can take.
  • myboysmomx2
    Options

It is my understanding from my chiropractor that wearing sandals/flip flops that are flat or have little arch support helps to cause plantar fascists. It often comes about during the summer months when people tend to go bare foot or wear sandals. You may have this, achilles tendonitis, or something else. Do keep us posted...I'd love to hear what your doc says. I haven't worn sandals other than on Sunday's for church, and lately I've been wearing a boot to bed at night, I've frozen a bottle of water that I roll under my foot at least twice a day, and the exercises I've found online aren't helping me so far. You may want to try these exercises though until your appointment. I've seen people doing these exact same things before while I waited for my son at physical therapy. Here's the site and it has several free videos that demonstrate the exercises: http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_pain/stretch_exercise.php?gclid=CPe6tOqF36kCFRAq7AodphJuXw

x
  • myboysmomx2
    Options
    Hi again. I just got home from the podiatrist and the verdict is that I have plantar fascitis and a bone spur. This is caused by the tearing of the ligaments/tendons that connects the bottom/ball of the foot to the base and back of the heel. The bone spur begins to form as the body tries to heal itself by the bone growing or "reaching out" to re-attach itself to the ligament again. I have a high arch so the doc said my body had had enough of trying to support the high arch and the ligament tore. They made a custom arch support insert for my shoe. If I don't get relief in he next two to four weeks, they will give me a steroid shot in the heel to help with the pain as I recover. Thankfully, he is allowing me to continue to exercise and walk. He suggested taking two Aleve twice daily, continue using a water bottled filled with water to roll back and forth under my foot, and continue with the exercises that I was already doing. It's a long healing process, but I will incorporate running when my foot has made progress with regard to healing. I'm super glad I can keep on exercising! My suggestion to you would be to see your doctor sooner than later because you don't want to have to overcome a bone spur too. Keep us posted on your progress and I hope you start feeling better SOON! :-)
  • k1229
    Options
    Hi again. I just got home from the podiatrist and the verdict is that I have plantar fascitis and a bone spur. This is caused by the tearing of the ligaments/tendons that connects the bottom/ball of the foot to the base and back of the heel. The bone spur begins to form as the body tries to heal itself by the bone growing or "reaching out" to re-attach itself to the ligament again. I have a high arch so the doc said my body had had enough of trying to support the high arch and the ligament tore. They made a custom arch support insert for my shoe. If I don't get relief in he next two to four weeks, they will give me a steroid shot in the heel to help with the pain as I recover. Thankfully, he is allowing me to continue to exercise and walk. He suggested taking two Aleve twice daily, continue using a water bottled filled with water to roll back and forth under my foot, and continue with the exercises that I was already doing. It's a long healing process, but I will incorporate running when my foot has made progress with regard to healing. I'm super glad I can keep on exercising! My suggestion to you would be to see your doctor sooner than later because you don't want to have to overcome a bone spur too. Keep us posted on your progress and I hope you start feeling better SOON! :-)

thank you so much for reporting back!!!! im hopeful ill get some positive news on monday. Hope you heal quickly! x