Group Fitness Classes

Options
Okay so I know there's nothing to be scared of, but I am really intimidated by group fitness classes! We just joined lifetime fitness and I really want to do different classes bc I think it will help me stick with a regular exercise routine. I am just afraid of not being able to keep up or looking like an idiot. Have you ever felt this way and how did things turn out? I could use some encouragement! :)

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i looked like a total jack *kitten* when i first started step. i still mess up and ive been doing it for 6 months. ou have to remember, everybody was a beginner at one point. Just find a place in the back and hide out. Chances are, you wont be the only newb there.
  • maorigirl27
    Options
    Hey!
    All group fitness classes I've been to everyone is more worried about themselves and their own coordination rather than what anyone else is doing. I went to a new class today and I just go earlier, grab a spot at the back and let the instructor know that I"m new. This way they keep an eye on you and can help you with your technique!

Hope this helps.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    I feel that way.

Which is why I choose to do my exercising outside. I started walking, then kept increasing till I was covering 5 miles at a time. Then I started walking/hiking. Now after a year of getting out there, I've begun throwing in running intervals.

Like many overweight people, I have this fear of being laughed at because I'm "fat" and can't do all the things those skinny girls in their thong leotards are doing. Yes, I know that many of them are kind and would be encouraging but we can't always control that negative beast in our own minds.

My advice? Peak in on the classes and find one that has some girls your size in it (I'm sure there are some). Approach them and share your concerns, I bet they have felt the same (or still do) and will probably welcome you into their group. Having somebody going through it with you? Will calm that negative beastie a bit.

If it's not a size concern, then look for a class for beginners. Most places have them and again, approach some of the people in there. Most everybody is more then happy to help a new person out.

Good luck! You are much braver than me!
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Most instructors ask if any one is new and helps them out the first time. I notice there a people of all ages, sizes and skill level in the classes. I've only see support for the other participants. Go enjoy a class.
  • joanieizme
    joanieizme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, but last night, I went to a group fitness class, Les Mills BodyPump, at 24 hour fitness, and was able to do just about everything in the whole class! The people in the class were of all different ages, shapes, and sizes, and were all very friendly and helpful. I did the one-hour workout and burned over 500 calories! :) You can do it. Don't let insecurity keep you from trying it....it's FUN! :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Go! No one actually knows what they're doing in those except a few extra dedicated people that will cluster in the front. If you're feeling insecure, hide in the back and do your best. If you're really having trouble following, you can usually poke at the instructor afterwards for clarification.

I spent several weeks hiding in the back of a kickboxing class. I didn't do everything right, but I was so exhausted that I didn't care. And once I really got into it I really stopped caring about what others might be thinking. So, again, GO! It's not as bad as you build it up in your mind to be.

Good luck!
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started going to zumba two weeks ago. I sat in the parking lot for 30mins before the class started and was so tempted to go home. I had the same fears..what If i look stupid? what if I can't keep up? What if everyone there is thinner?

And guess what, I did look stupid, I couldn't keep up, and I was the biggest person there, but there was a girl in the back that was a newbie and we laughed through the whole class.

Two weeks later, i still mess up but i don't regret getting in there and trying. I'm still in the very back row, but enjoy every bit of my workout. I was especially proud of myself for not driving home.

I think I would have been more disappointed in myself if I would have bailed.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Absolutely felt that way but I guarantee most people are more worried about themselves than they are about anyone else. Everyone was new once, they all understand how it is and if they're thinking anything, they're cheering you on. I did my first class in 2000 and have been going ever since, there are new people almost every day. Just do it, you won't be sorry. Have fun, classes are much more fun and motivating for me than cardio machines! I attend a class 5 days a week.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Trust me. People will care more about what they're doing than what you're doing, whether they're good at it or not.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I could not have achieved my goal without group fitness classes.

With a good instructor, they keep you motivated for an hour, they're well designed to cover a range of body areas, and they're a lot of fun!

I'll admit I sometimes look at other people in the class (90% of the time I'm just checking that my knees are in line, my back's straight, or just to marvel at the fact that I can see my triceps muscle working...) but it's only out of interest - if I were an instructor what would I notice - someone's great posture, someone who could do this move a wee bit better.

Do I think any less of those who I think could improve? Hell no! They've dragged their *kitten* to the gym and are giving it some energy. That's brilliant,and I think that positive energy and vibes feed into the overall good karma of the class.

Go!!!!!!
  • dajm456
    dajm456 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support! All of your posts really pushed me to just do it. I took two classes last week (zumba and kickboxing) and I had a blast! I am on trying two new ones this week! Thanks everybody!
  • DurdenCycles
    DurdenCycles Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always feel stupid in classes. So I just start laughing and everyone laughs right along with me. In the end I push my self harder and have a great time. I hope you can make a friend and have fun. Good luck.