Stuck in a weight loss loop

Options
Hello there! Looking for some help or advice, please and thank you! I’ve been stuck for the past 4 weeks gaining & losing the same 2lbs over and over. I was making progress before my stall and have lost 5.5lbs. Everything came to a grinding halt January 12. I’ve been putting in what I eat (including slip ups) watching my calories and increasing exercise, ( I started lifting in addition to cardio) but I’m still stuck in the same pattern!!!! I’d love to get out of this loop and make downward progress again, I’m really getting frustrated. Please help!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    When did you start? ie a time frame for the 5.5lbs lost.
    If its been a month somethings off, when did you start lifting? that would tell a tale on the scales temporarily.
    Are you using a food scale and picking the verified entries in the food database?
  • Torygetsfit
    Torygetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying! I started lifting the exact time the stall began. Twice a week, I’m doing low weight/ high rep.
    I do not have a food scale, I have been looking to buy one. Do you have a recommendation for a brand or model you like?
    I have been using the verified entries in the database.
    I do have a question about exercise calories, I had been eating those back ( not all of them) but a extra snack when the munchies hit. Should I not be eating the exercise calories? Maybe that is a key?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I too are in your same situation and it started in January. Are you near the end of your weightloss goals? I have read other blog posts that sometimes it is harder to get the last bit to come off especially if you are in a healthy region but are aiming for the lower weight on the healthy region.
    Also playing with the rate at which you are aiming to lose may help. I had a pretty linear trend when I was aiming for 1-1.5 lbs per week but I have reduced to .5 and I am still figuring out what calorie baseline I need to lose at .5 lb/week.

• Torygetsfit
    Torygetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi kballssocc! Thanks for reaching out. Glad to know I am not alone in the struggle!
    I am not near the end of my goal, still have 20lbs to go to get to a healthier weight for my height. I am trying for 1lb a week. And it was working till it came to a grinding halt. So maddening. I weigh every day and have the averages, so the weekly average was also coming down without the pound a week which I was ok with, but that stopped and is creeping back up with the constant losing/regaining.
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could be changing your body recomp. Also inflamation will show as a false gain, I would keep going on your program for 8 more weeks and take pictures of yourself and measurements. When you are lifting the scale can lie, especially in the beginning.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How far are you from your goal? I am 5 lbs away from my goal and it makes my motivation go down ALOT. Also, it makes weight loss harder. Have you edited your calorie intake requirements lately?

One last thing, don’t be discouraged, I have stayed in these “loops” for very long periods of time only to drop 4 pounds within 2 or 3 days when I finally get out of them. Bodies are weird.
  • tufftre
    tufftre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When you lift or strength train the mass of muscle weighs more then fat. Take a photo today then again in two weeks i think you will be surprised how untrusting a scale can be once you do this when your lifting. Measurements will tell you the truth. Quit stressing over numbers and get back to work and have fun!!!!