What do you like better kettle bells or weight lifting?

I would like to know which workout you like doing the best and why.
Your results and if you have a favorite program you use with the kettle bells or weight.
I do realize it is a matter of personal choice.

Replies

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    I LOVE kettle bells! They give you a cardio + weight workout at the same time. Lots of routines on YouTube. Find some you like and start swinging!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I like both but I'm limited in what I can do with barbells as I have a bad right knee, so Kettlebells are fantastic for me. I'm considering doing some version of the 10K Kettlebell swings in 30 days soon. I do a ton of rowing, so it might have to be dramatically cut back (more like 5K KB swings in 30 days for me). Also, men are supposed to do that challenge with 25kg KBs (53 lbs). I'd probably start lighter than that.

Dan Johns was the creator of that workout (that worked with Pavel T on some famous strength training books).

I'm still learning all what you can do with Kettlebells and technique for some of the advanced things is difficult.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    I use both in my workouts.

When I go heavy with the barbell I can get "niggles" in my shoulders especially if doing overhead presses or elbow niggles with curling or rowing. However using a kettle bell with these moves actually improves my mobility.

But, I cant beat the Barbell for deadlift, squats and bench .. so these have to be incorporated as well.

And has been said the Kettlebells add a lot higher degree of cardio ... my heart rate goes through the roof with the bells compared to my bar usage
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Both work, and yes, technically both are weights/resistance for your body, so they aren't inherently different. The types of workouts they are best suited for can be very different, and I assume that's the basis for your question.

For higher weight, lower rep work, you can't beat barbells. For single side/stability work, you can't beat kettle bells. For higher rep work, both can work but I image most will prefer kettle bells.

I do that that a well rounded, long term routine should include some of both.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    If I don't have access to a gym I use dumbbells, kettlebells, and resistance bands. If I do have a access to a gym, I do strong curves and use the barbell, kettlebells, dumbbells, ect..

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Depending on the workout being conducted, one works better then the other in my opinion.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I use kettlebells in my weight lifting routine. I personally like to use as many tools as I can in the toolbox since I love variety and that is what my program outlines...I use barbells, plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands (mini and long),cable machine, ankle weight, TRX, exercise ball, bodyweight etc
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I use both. My primary programs are always based around barbells, but I often used kettlebells for accessory or lighter work (single leg deadlifts, jump squats, pistol squats, ab work, planks with one arm rows...that sort of thing).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    It depends on what your goals are, but
    1. Kettlebells are weight training
    2. Anecdotally, the strongest I've ever been was when I was doing KBell and Bodyweight training. I pushed/pulled a 1.5x BW squat/deadlift after having not worked with a weight over 24 Kilos for over a year(caveat-I may have done some singles with a 32 kilo bell)
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Thank you for getting back to me with your inputs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Nearly any exercise done with KB can also be done with DB, occasionally with slight modification to hold the different shape. When we didn't have enough KB in KB class, some people used DB. Nonetheless there's something cool and fun about KB.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    I like both of them. I have no reason to prefer the other better. I don't know a lot of workouts to do with barbells however but do like using them to workout when I can.

Most of my workouts now revolve around either using KB, DB or barbells. I just like mixing it up so I'm not doing the same thing/same workouts constantly
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    <~~~~~~~ See profile pic.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I use both but I would say that I prefer dumbbells. It's hard for me sometimes to get in the "swing" of things without feeling like a fool who doesn't know what they're doing, lol.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    I use both, depending on what I feel like accomplishing for the workout. For me, I like to combine my KB work with cardio. So I will either combine KB intervals with rowing, treadmill or even battle ropes. For me, KB's are a perfect compliment for my treadmill sprints. Just did that one today. I love it!
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Uh, kettlebells are weights. When doing resistance training your body just knows it is working against a load. It doesn't know if it's a dumbell, barbell, kettlebell, bag of potatoes, bands, etc.

Yeah I was confused too when I read the title thinking "isn't kettlebell training a subset of weight lifting?".
    Even the phrase "if you have a favorite program you use with the kettle bells or weight." is ambiguous as weight can be barbells, dumbbells, crossfit objects, bodyweight, etc.

But anyways, technicality aside, if the question is just what your favorite form of weight lifting is. I've switched off of barbell/dumbbells push/pull/legs 6 day split to a full body bodyweight training at 3 days a week and have been enjoying that. I'm no longer putting time to train things like biceps exclusively and getting less hypertrophy for it but I don't really care about having massive arms anymore.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    I guess when I said weight lifting I should have said barbell or dumbbell. Even I knew that kettlebells was a form of weight lifting. I was just trying to find out what everyone liked using better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I often have kettle bell work incorporated into my weight training program...

I like doing both...they do different things so in my eyes it's not really a one or the other kind of thing.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    I cycle Kettlebell training and barbell training. My goals are mostly Kettlebell oriented and I tend to enjoy dynamic lifts (Olympic lifting, KB swings, KB cleans, KB high pulls, and KB snatch).
    Here are some Kettlebell programs that I would recommend for a beginner:
    Simple and Sinister by Pavel https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0989892409/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517948589&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=simple+and+sinister&dpPl=1&dpID=51DO-qD-cJL&ref=plSrch
    Lauren Brooks Ulltimate Kettlebell workouts for Women https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1612430279/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517948928&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=kettlebell+book+lauren+brooks&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZnOlsUg-L&ref=plSrch they are great for men as well.
    Sara Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FRWTSO/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5ZGGA7ERY89HGG8WCY2 her video is really inexpensive and she does a great job explaining the movements.
    For barbell, I love Starting Strength. It is great for beginning lifters.