Mirena and Calorie Cycling

I'm getting frusterated! I've been eating clean, exercising, just moving more in general and the scale is still up. I lost weight the first two weeks but since then, I've been up. It seems like no matter how I eat, it won't go down. I think I need to shock my system somehow, I've been half watching what I eat for years and I have only bought light or low fat everything for a really long time. Even though, I wasn't actively dieting, I still only bought the light versions of just about everything. So I'm thinking that my body is just used to eating the way that I am eating. I've been looking into calorie cycling. Anybody have some tips on how this has worked for you? Or any ideas on how to get the scale moving?

Also, I have the Mirena, and I swear this thing is not helping! I've had it in for almost 4 years and in the 4 years, I've gained 40 pounds. Not all of that is because of the Mirena, some is due to stress in general and just not putting forth the effort. I'm debating on taking it out, I don't need it for birth control and I had it put in for other female issues. So I'm trying to decide if it is worth going back to dealing with a TOM every month or dealing with the added struggle to lose the weight. Anyone else had this issue?

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    I have heard from several people that the Mirena causes weight gain. I was considering it myself until I heard about the weight gain it can cause plus my insurance won't cover it. I am on BC pill (Loestrine) and have had no problems with it. When I first started it, I went up like 2.5 lbs, but it has come back off plus some now. If you get something with low estrogen, you should have no problems losing weight. I was fearful of weight gain too when I started BC last month, but I need it for protection and other female issues. Just do what is best for you. If you think the Mirena is causing problems with the weight loss, have it removed and go back to a pill form. Everyone reacts different to BC though.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    The older you get the harder it is (don't blame the BC). Better to keep your hormones level and even keel...

Anyway, what worked in your 20s for diet and exercise will not work in your 30s. As women the older we get the harder it is to keep the weight off. I would suggest making sure you are doing strength training as part of your weekly exercise routine. This helps battle the muscle loss that begins in your 30s. Muscle helps burn fat! :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    The only form of birth control PROVEN to cause weight gain is the Depo Shot. Mirena is progesterone only and stays fairly localized in your uterus, it's not through your whole body like the pill, depo etc.

I've had the Mirena for almost 5 years now (5 in Feb). It obviously hasn't hindered my weight loss. I think that a lot of times women over think things and are looking for a reason to blame and birth control is an easy one to blame. My husband is snipped and I'm still keeping my Mirena for the lack of periods (although I still get the PMS lol).

EDIT: The Mirena contains progesterone only, NO estrogen.

I haven't calorie cycled, I just eat what MFP gives me and I eat back about half my exercise calories and make sure to almost always NET 1200 calories a day. I haven't hit a plateau in 1 year either, even though sometimes there are slower periods of weight loss and an occasional week or even 2 that I don't lose, a plateau isn't until 3 weeks of NO loss OR gain.

I do change up what I'm eating and allow myself a day where I make sure that I NET almost everything MFP gives me to change up what my body expects.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    P.S. I also suggest checking out Neuvaring if you want to switch BC. It's a low hormone solution and I've been on it since 2002 without side effects.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    I've had Mirena for about 3 years now and never noticed a difference weight-wise. In fact, I'm 20lbs (or more) lighter than when it was first put in. I do agree with BCAcheerleading that everyone reacts differently so you should do what is best for you...you know your body best. I have read articles and studies regarding the 'diet' or lowfat type foods not being very good for your weight loss journey. Generally what I've read is when companies take out something they have to replace it with something else...in most cases it was sugar or an additive equally unappealing. Other than the scale have you noticed anything else? Perhaps having more energy, better moods, or more stamina? How about your measurements? It's hard not to focus on the scale but there could be some great things this new lifestyle is doing for you on the inside and those are sometimes harder to see.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    I'd recommend talking it over with your OB/GYN. S/he would give you the best info based on your personal history. I have the Mirena. I've been able to lose weight successfully as long as I kept to my routines and eating well. I've had it for 3 years now. I do get TOM still. Every now and then it'll disappear for a month or 2. I don't worry about it much. Nuva Ring...I'm not a fan, but that's just me and my family. It caused some severe pains for my niece as well. Again, your body's reaction to BC is different than the rest of us. I do hope you find the answers you're looking for though. Stay encouraged!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    I switched from depo to the mirena. I'm on m y 2nd one and have had no problems losing weight with it.
  • Knny79
    Knny79 Posts: 3
    I am no nutritionist but have tried many different diets. I am following the Primal Blueprint now and it is working amazingly well. All cravings gone and very rarely hungry. You might want to check it out. Maybe not the advice you were looking for, but I am gobsmacked by the results and the way I feel.
  • kmj712004
    kmj712004 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the posts! I am by no means giving up, I just wanted to know if anyone else was having the same issues I am. I did talk to my obgyn and my regular dr and they both said that some people do have trouble with weight gain and the mirena. I'm just wondering if I'm one of those people. I'm going to give it a couple more months and then if I'm still at about the same weight, I will probably have it out.