Exercises specifically for stability

Options
2»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Pilates. Planks--including variations (side planks, plank to push up, plank to pike, plank jacks)... Mountain Climbers. Squats on the Bosu or Step 360. Single leg dead lifts. Roll outs on stability ball. Pikes on stability ball. Hanging Leg Raises. Russian Twist. Crunches. Russian Twists.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    OHP while lunging produces some interesting stabilization/anti-rotation work.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I actually never thought of doing an overhead press and overhead lunge at the same time. Although, I do perform the C&J regularly and it seems like it would be similar just less dynamic. I might have to try this out.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I actually never thought of doing an overhead press and overhead lunge at the same time. Although, I do perform the C&J regularly and it seems like it would be similar just less dynamic. I might have to try this out.

I was surprised.... I was doing fairly light one sided work and was surprised by the amount of disadvantage produced. I don't have a bar at home, so I can't remark on that.

It was between/during reps/sets of getups. And I'm working my way back in so I was really just playing for a bit while also pondering an article I'd read regarding kneeling OHP as a way to change/challenge core work.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Mostly for resiliency/injury prevention.

I'm guessing basketball is your most likely way to get injured, so i'd practice your weak moves.. at least on weeks that you don't play twice a week. Agility drills & jumping drills (youtube) can help for lower body injury prevention in basketball.
    Not sure that generalized stability training is the answer in your case.

It is definitely the hardest on me... but even just walking/being on my feet for a few hours can bother me (lower back). Part of the reason for this thread is that I'm trying to shift my mindset... away from harder/heavier and more to functional mobility and stability. I want to focus less on PRs and more on feeling good and recovering better. Essentially, I want to start taking better care of myself. I'm 41, and I feel like I'm 80 most of the time.

We'll see how that goes, though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I was surprised.... I was doing fairly light one sided work and was surprised by the amount of disadvantage produced. I don't have a bar at home, so I can't remark on that.

It was between/during reps/sets of getups. And I'm working my way back in so I was really just playing for a bit while also pondering an article I'd read regarding kneeling OHP as a way to change/challenge core work.

Sounds like a Turkish Get-Up, which should be included in the suggestions for core stability!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'm looking for some suggestions on exercises, or a routine of exercises, specifically geared to overall/general stability.

Sorry, need more info to give an answer that's relevant to you. Why do you want stability exercises, and what is your overall goal? Also what is the rest of your exercise routine, so we can fill in the gaps without creating conflicts. :+1:

this.

To me this is way to vague of a question- stability for what? your shoulders? your legs? for balance? to support main movements?

I see you answered upthread- but stability means stabilizing- what are you stabilizing?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    in the mean time

Turkish get ups- especially done slow and very particularly.
    Lateral lunges
    Lateral hops
    Jump lunges
    Pallof Press

My biggest suggestion is any type of barre work- working through releve with the feet- can you go up into releve with a forced arch without falling down? Can do you it on one foot? two?

I do my walking lunges with a releve as I bring the back foot in. Immensely helpful- but it is helpful to me- because I'm a dancer.

• stanmann571
    Options

Sounds like a Turkish Get-Up, which should be included in the suggestions for core stability!

Yeah, that's what I was doing, was integrating OHP into the Getup before getting back down.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some suggestions on exercises, or a routine of exercises, specifically geared to overall/general stability.

General overall stability would be legs and core. I see planks mentioned, so those are good in the different variations of them. For legs, balance boards, active/rotating lunges, leg dips, etc are all good as well.

Do a lot of these for tennis training.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stability exercises, usually incorporating bosu balls (some things with it up, some with it down), TRX, and stability balls. LOTS of various exercises you can do with them, and you can make a lot of the exercises easier or harder.

I also have an indo board at home that I use regularly. Mostly a balance trainer, but again, can be used in a variety of ways to get a wide range of exercises in.

As for specifics, honestly, I'd suggest googling and seeing what's out there...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I do a lot of stability exercises, usually incorporating bosu balls (some things with it up, some with it down), TRX, and stability balls. LOTS of various exercises you can do with them, and you can make a lot of the exercises easier or harder.

I also have an indo board at home that I use regularly. Mostly a balance trainer, but again, can be used in a variety of ways to get a wide range of exercises in.

As for specifics, honestly, I'd suggest googling and seeing what's out there...

I would think that riding is a good core exercise in itself!
  • jjpptt2
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As I continue to think about this, and how to put together a routine or workout from some of these movements...
    • I'm pretty sure I want a couple of single-arm over head movements... probably TGU and single arm DB lunges. I'm hoping that these will help with shoulder and hip stability.
    • I want to start making more/better use of my rings... so I'm thinking about ring pushups, single leg squats, and single arm rows.
    • Farmer's carries are a must, if I can figure out where to do them when the weather is lousy.
    • Deadbugs are also a must, if for no other reason then to have my kids look at me funny when I do them.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You've received lots of good suggestions. I would add waiter walks, low trap work, and rotator cuff work to your list for shoulder stability. If it helps, I do timed farmers walks around my apartment when I can't do them outside.

This isn't stability related, but have you thought about using a foam roller? I have been sequences from The MELT Method and they have been really helpful. Here is a lower body sequence I found.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbBIi8DcCtY
    You don't need the special foam roller to do this. I use a regular hard roller and am able to get my low back to let go using this technique.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    As I continue to think about this, and how to put together a routine or workout from some of these movements...
    • I'm pretty sure I want a couple of single-arm over head movements... probably TGU and single arm DB lunges. I'm hoping that these will help with shoulder and hip stability.
    • I want to start making more/better use of my rings... so I'm thinking about ring pushups, single leg squats, and single arm rows.
    • Farmer's carries are a must, if I can figure out where to do them when the weather is lousy.
    • Deadbugs are also a must, if for no other reason then to have my kids look at me funny when I do them.

Are you dead-set on doing your own thing? I would honestly advise against that right now. I see a lot of different recommendations for exercises in this thread that are probably not for you right now in-helping with your goals.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

Are you dead-set on doing your own thing? I would honestly advise against that right now. I see a lot of different recommendations for exercises in this thread that are probably not for you right now in-helping with your goals.

Not necessarily, but I'd want to know why a particular exercise was "better" or "worse" for me. I'd like to think I'm pretty open minded, but I do want to know the whys.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options

Not necessarily, but I'd want to know why a particular exercise was "better" or "worse" for me. I'd like to think I'm pretty open minded, but I do want to know the whys.

It's hard to say what's good / bad for you without doing a property evaluation, which nobody here can really do unless you posted a video of something like an OH Squat assessment. Some of the exercises mentioned are good exercises, but depending on where you're at physically they may not be right for you today. That's why my recommendation was to find a NASM trainer that has the knowledge of training specifically towards the goal of Core Strength & Stabilization. They can do a proper evaluation and provide a program specifically towards your needs and goals. Not saying another trainer with a different certification can't do that, it's just what I'm familiar with.

Also, exercises are not the only factor. Volume (Sets / Reps), Frequency, and Tempo play a role in training for your specific goal.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

It's hard to say what's good / bad for you without doing a property evaluation, which nobody here can really do unless you posted a video of something like an OH Squat assessment. Some of the exercises mentioned are good exercises, but depending on where you're at physically they may not be right for you today. That's why my recommendation was to find a NASM trainer that has the knowledge of training specifically towards the goal of Core Strength & Stabilization. They can do a proper evaluation and provide a program specifically towards your needs and goals. Not saying another trainer with a different certification can't do that, it's just what I'm familiar with.

Also, exercises are not the only factor. Volume (Sets / Reps), Frequency, and Tempo play a role in training for your specific goal.

I'm not going to do that... it's just not worth the investment right now.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    Options
    And that's fine, it's not for everybody. That's like an ideal scenario. That's why my 2nd recommendation was Yoga or Pilates which you can find for free on YouTube. I think FitnessBlender has a couple Pilates videos, I'm sure there are more.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I would think that riding is a good core exercise in itself!

It is, but with racing, I need my core to last through a race weekend, so training off the bike is pretty much a requirement! I'm not independently wealthy so being at the track several days a weeks isn't an option for me LOL