Stairs...

Options
So I generally always take the 3 flights of stairs in and out of work, meaning I go up and down them once a day. I often work on the 7th floor, and almost always use the elevator to go down to lunch, or to leave for the day. Is there benefit for taking the 7 flights down?? I know there is coming back up, but its a long ways up!

Replies

• camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    it's exercise. not as hard as going up, but you still get your body moving. so i think there is a benefit.....works your legs, and every little bit helps!
  • nilla128
    nilla128 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I say yes. I think you would be toning different muscles going down as opposed to going up. Plus, the more you move the more you lose!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Of course there are benefits!!!! Any walking is more beneficial than taking the elevator.....I usually park my car in the furthest spots at grocery stores...just to get a few more steps in!

The more steps you take the better!!!
  • crickettm
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing...i work in an old army building in the basement AND i live in a house with stairs....has to be of some value using them daily?!?!? please advise....thanks a bunch!!
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    well according to some various calculators, my 5'2, 204 lb body is burning 70 calories for every 15 minutes I spend going down... its enough to make me do it
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    well according to some various calculators, my 5'2, 204 lb body is burning 70 calories for every 15 minutes I spend going down... its enough to make me do it

What calculator did you use to come up with that? I jog up and down stairs at work sometimes...have no idea how to calculate it.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Supposedly walking down stairs is supposed to help your hamstrings? I think whomever told me that lied, but I still do it every chance I get hahaha