don't trust skinny chefs...lol

Options
hello everyone. I'm Chef Stael (stah-yel). it's a life changing pleasure to be among you all. I have been dealing with weight issues my entire life, as a chef it certainly did not help my case any better lol. I mean I love food, and also associated it with all my stress etc... as a chef/cook, how can one not be overweight, if you're eating what you are selling and tasting everything making sure it is quality proof for your customers day in day out and eating all scraps at end of shift while skipping meals esp breakfast on a regular. you know the big mamas can throw down, lol. All of that made a world that made it "ok" for me to eat whatever whenever, plus i grew up in the states...dundundun....the place one goes to have supersize everything and heart attacks on platter without going out of pocket. and given we weren't so "rich" with it, and coupons was lit then, its inevitable that i wasn't going to end up here on this app counting calories and spilling my gut out to complete strangers who may or may not get my path to here..... to be continued.....

Replies

• combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how hard it would be to be a chef and try to lose or even maintain your weight. I love food too, but I just have to keep the things I really, really crave out of the house. Being around food all day would be soooo hard for me. More power to you on your journey.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    But there are plenty of chefs out there who are slim... I guess some people can exercise self control a bit better than others.
    It may suck for you but you need to control what goes in if you want to lose weight.

If you need to keep tasting what you're cooking then you need to remember that all those calories add up so when it comes to your own meal time you'll have to keep that meal low cal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Hello Healthy links today have a story of a chef who regained health by doing unto himself first thing every day and making certain to eat mindfully. Maybe you can glean something usefull from him.
  • lpnstael
    lpnstael Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes thank you for the comments, keep in mind i mentioned other factors that are connected with food and my weight issues, not only the chef world. and yes there are chefs who are slim and have great metabolism and have always been active people etc... i am not debating that, I am simply expressing my journey and my then thoughts on my food history. there are skinny chefs who eat way more then I and takes all kinds of pills to control their organs on a daily as well. cardiac, diabetes, high blood pressure you name it. I am blessed not to be in that category and taking care of it so it won't ever get there.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest thing for me would be basically accepting that my tastes were my meals for the day. Those are impossible to track, but I don't know if my current self would be cool eating the leftover scraps or whatever, as I'd probably had more than enough through tasting.

That, and you probably want to get yourself exercising on the regular if it's something you don't already do. Start slow, but do not underestimate strength training. It's been more helpful to me than all of the treadmills in the world (although, I don't ignore cardio, either).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Bobby Flay is pretty fit.
  • GeorgianaR17
    GeorgianaR17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% with you on that! (ignoring people who whatever they eat won't gain weight, and being chefs).
    My bf is a chef and foodie, while I'm just the foodie. I believe body related things get into the way as well (as a certain condition, slower metabolism, these things really exist!)
    For me keeping track of my food helped, while also combined with some exercises (and no you don't need to go to the gym to exercise). I've been off the track lately but I'm starting again slow. If you want, you can add me as a friend, keep track of each other, encourage and motivate. (Sometimes that helps too). :) Good luck on your journey!