PCOS Struggles... I'm back on track and determined as ever...Anyone else?

Options
Hi Everyone,

After a hiatus from MFP, I'm back and determined...again. Anyone else with PCOS struggles, feel free to add me. Would love all the support I can get and would love to support others who can understand the struggles.

I've started drinking a shake that's helped tremendously with my cycles over the past few months.(went from 2 weeks a month to 10 or less days) so I'm really hoping this is my ticket. Also, I've been able to come off my Metformin (was on 1000mg per day) for the past month! Super excited about this!

Take care everyone!!

~Stephanie

Replies

• graquel2
    graquel2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have pcos, I am 5’1” and went from 118-167 in 2013-2015 while having crew practice/conditioning for 2hrs a day, 5-6x a week for a year. I looked like a wrestler and not the cute ones on E. I gained the weight after a male doctor told me “you have a lot of male hormones and should probably stop being a vegan/vegetarian and soy isn’t good for you.”
    Finally, got told I have pcos in 2016 by my female doctor after multiple different doctor visits and I’ve slowly been losing the weight. I’ve gone back to eating less meat this year only fish.
    I eat lentils, spinach, quinoa, cauliflower, carrots, avocado, bell peppers, onions and parfaits (oats, organic, fat free yogurt, berries, pineapple), apples and kiwis every day.
    I drink hemp shakes and take inositol, fish oil, prenatal vitamins, zinc, probiotics and spirulina everyday.
    Basically, I went back to everything I did before I listened to that dude and I’ve seen drastic weight lost in a short, but safe amount of time...when I stick to cutting rice, pasta and pop tarts out.
    I’ve had reduced mood swings, less bloating, less shedding, but hairy as ever everywhere else haha.
    I don’t do any heavy lifting because I look like the hulk as soon as I do no matter my weight, just yoga, dance class, hiit, treadmill, hip machine and dumbbells at least one of those 4x a week.

No desire to conceive IUD life.
  • libertymay17
    libertymay17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I have pcos and I am losing weight hoping it will help me concive! I'm down 26 pounds does any one know what a ideal weight to lose is to help my hormoans I take metformin but I'd just like an idea I have my goal at 135-150 that's 106-172 pounds lighter! Hoping that will help the hormoans and help me get pregnant!
  • CoreysGirl50
    CoreysGirl50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS and am currently on metformin. I am down 9 pounds since starting a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to conceive, so I'm really hoping that weight loss is going to help! If anyone has anything that is helping them, please share!
  • mommybehealthy
    mommybehealthy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started Metformin after first was born. I was in full insulin resistance. I was told I would have issues conceiving from the time I was diagnosed at 17. It's totally possible to conceive!! I was on Metformin for the first trimester with my second child, because my doc said it will help reduce the miscarriage risk. @libertymay17 you're doing awesome! 26lbs lost is no joke! That's great! @CoreysGirl50 Metformin helps especially with weight loss and conception. 9lbs is awesome!!
    @graquel2 I bulk up too when I work out. I've been trying to tell this to doctors for years, but no one every listens. I can totally understand the struggles. I'm glad you are doing well, sounds like you have a really great eating plan in place.
  • DMB147
    DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    WELL MY DOC DIDNT SAY I HAVE IT BUT IM ON METFORMIN FOR 3 MONTHS NOW. I HAVE LOST WEIGHT I GAINED :( IM WATCHING WHAT I EAT AND TRYING TO EXERCISE.....ITS A TUNDRA HERE. AND HE PUT ME ON FOLIC ACID AND ADIPEX :( I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I discontinued metformin for PCOS about a month ago. My doctor said it would be a few more cycles before we see if it negatively affects me or not. I’m kinda nervous...
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @DMB147 are you seeing a primary doctor or an endcorine or someone else?
    @kimothyschma I hope everything goes great for you!!! getting off of Metformin is awesome!
  • Chellemybelle1980
    Options
    I have PCOS, I'm also on Metformin but it's more for my diabetes than it is for PCOS. My Dr. only concentrates on the diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, sometimes I think she doesn't agree with my previous Dr. that diagnosed me with the PCOS. But I have all the signs and issues that come along with the PCOS. I recently just joined a fitness group with my 3 sisters to get fit and lose some weight. I'm also hoping the weight loss helps me with conceiving. It's frustrating, I was diagnosed when I was 17 I'm now 37 and still no children even after several attempts of trying.
  • jessiemeckle
    jessiemeckle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have been trying to conceive since last April. I have been on metformin since October and have only started to lose weight in January. It's funny that none of my doctors recommended I lose weight even though I definitely need to, not only for my health but also to increase the chance of conceiving. I kind of wanted one of them to just say "You need to lose weight" as a wake up call, but they did not. I'm hoping losing weight and staying active will help with PCOS, however it has not always been easy!
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @chellemybell1980 I can relate to doctors not agreeing to the PCOS diagnosis. I also feel that a lot of doctors just put it off as something else and never give the right info as they don't know much about it themselves. There's so much debate as to whether PCOS causes all these issues or if all the other issues cause PCOS. I'm a firm believer that PCOS causes so much that Doctors just don't have enough info on as of yet. I blogged some of my frustration related to answers I've gotten from doctors.

@jessiemeckle I totally understand it not being easy. Keep up with what you are doing, and this community is very supportive!! All the best to you!!
  • sakassab
    sakassab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was recently told I have PCOS, and it broke my heart because I've heard of all the struggles... I haven't attempted to conceive yet but I know it can make things very difficult... i started at 255 in march of 2017 and I'm down about 17 lbs. It's such a slow process and it's so frustrating! My doctor put me on metformin and let me know that birth control will at least even out my cycles until I'm ready to start trying. But it's just not fair with the hand we were delt making it 10x harder to just be normal!
  • samlowe87
    samlowe87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m 30 and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2013. I am currently 292lbs. I have tried before to lose weight and always got discouraged and gave up. Not this time. I have 3 amazing kids ages 10, 2, and 5 months and I want to get healthy so that I can do the things I want to with them. I have had my tubes removed so not trying to get pregnant. I have a plan this time and have set small goals to get to my big goal.

My plan is to loose 1-2 lbs a week and I should be able to loose 150lbs in about 18months. I am watching what I eat and how much I eat as well as started walking every day. I am going to start weight loss yoga and will add more workouts as I progress.

I have a plan now I just have to stick with it and keep pushing.... today is day 3 for me.
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PCOS here! I'm actually having very good success with the keto diet - first time I've been able to lose in for-ev-er! Would be happy to stay connected with you. It can be defeating working so hard and losing slowly. But slow loss is better than none. We've got this! <3
  • dangernene
    dangernene Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

PCOS sufferer here too. Mirena coil in situ for the heavy periods but really struggle with my weight (and beard!). Tried metformin even through it giving me terrible tummy issues but stopped when I eventually *kitten* myself :D (am I glad I was working from home that day....!)

The biggest helps for me have been cutting down dairy, red meat and tofu (basically anything high oestrogen) and weight lifting three times a week. Something about the resistance exercise changes my body shape drastically and even with minimal weight loss I can see a waist again.

I've never tried to conceive but I'll see what happens when I do. Hopefully if and when I want children I'll have improved my fertility with the above but I'm only 32 so I've got a while before I need to start thinking about that!
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    DMB147 wrote: »
    WELL MY DOC DIDNT SAY I HAVE IT BUT IM ON METFORMIN FOR 3 MONTHS NOW. I HAVE LOST WEIGHT I GAINED :( IM WATCHING WHAT I EAT AND TRYING TO EXERCISE.....ITS A TUNDRA HERE. AND HE PUT ME ON FOLIC ACID AND ADIPEX :( I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

@DMB147 - I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated. I can totally relate! :( Have you looked into a low-carb or keto diet? It can be very helpful for women with PCOS. I started it on January 8 and am down 19 pounds. Not trying to push it on you, but just wanted to share because it's the first thing in a long time that has helped me lose weight. Hugs!
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @sakassab
    So sorry to hear, but can certainly understand your struggles! It is extremely frustrating, but know that there are plenty of us who know this struggle all too well <3
    @samlowe87
    that's an awesome goal! How are you doing so far?
    @sunnycloud82
    That's awesome! I have a few friends on Keto and it's been super tempting. I want to read more into it, but I'm so glad you are having success with it!!!!

@dangerene
    I've had the mirena and it was a nightmare for me, but I hope it helps you! I too have been doing strength training and having great inch loss, but hardly any weight. My body is transforming. I can totally relate to the Metformin :)

I've unfortunately had to restart my Metformin...just 500mg to see why all of a sudden my cycles have gone off track....AGAIN! I'm losing 0 weight, but inch loss is over 17 inches for Jan and Feb. I'm going to check for March at the end of the month, but it's so FRUSTRATING. We are so conditioned to go off of the scale constantly, I can't even focus or be happy that my body looks better :(