How much does a stone weigh

Options
I have heard and read about some one weighing like 16 stone i was wondering what that would be in pounds How much would one stone weigh.

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I have heard and read about some one weighing like 16 stone i was wondering what that would be in pounds How much would one stone weigh.

Here ya go

And a handy converter at the top.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    BUT WHY?
    Could never understand the need to have X st Y lb measurement when you could just leave it in lb and no one would have to scratch their heads to convert it.
  • pickeralriverkid2017
    Options
    Thank you for the replies it is easy to google and get answers but don't get too have a conversation
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    6350.29 Milliliters
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    BUT WHY?
    Could never understand the need to have X st Y lb measurement when you could just leave it in lb and no one would have to scratch their heads to convert it.

Because not everyone is from the US and does not use the same measures

• sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    BUT WHY?

Except most scales in the UK are set to st and lb. So my scales would say I weigh 10st 7lb (or whatever). So for Brits we have to convert to lb or kg. I bought new scales that have an optional kg setting which I now use but never come across any that can do lb without st (not that I've looked very hard)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    BUT WHY?

Isn’t that like saying why would you have miles when you could just give the distance in yards or feet?

Or why use gallons when you could just use ounces.

Stone is just the next unit of measure. Like saying 6ft 5in instead of saying you are 78 inches tall
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

The British use Stone and Pounds for body weight. A Stone is 14 lbs. A person weighing 16 Stone would be 224 lbs.

My wife was born in England and spoke in Stone when we first got married. Now she speaks in lbs only, because that's what the doctors here use, and those are the types of scales we can buy where we live now.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    14lb to one stone so to work out lbs just do the stone X 14 then add on any excess lbs eg 12.10 12x14+10= 178lb
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BUT WHY?

@aeloine

You do understand that different countries use different weights and measures I hope?

A Brit used to stating their weight in stones and pounds has to convert when an American says their weight is 200lbs for example. Doesn't really require head scratching, just a small level of ability with mental maths or a calculator!

And a French person (or other users of the metric system including younger Brits perhaps) would typically convert body weight to kilos.

It's hardly unusual to have different "sizes" of measurements.
    Fluid ounces, pints and gallons for example for liquid measurements would all be familiar to you I'm sure.
    Exactly the same principle for stones and pounds, a big measurement and a smaller measurement.

• JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    tryin to decide if this post a good segue into ranting about converting to the metric system

I joined a fraternity to suppress the metric system. I call it the Metric System Supression Society. I mean really, it's only for chemists and people who like counting by 10's. Plus it's 2018, what if the "stone" doesn't identify as 14lbs? Has anyone considered the stone's feelings?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    tryin to decide if this post a good segue into ranting about converting to the metric system

Are you pro metric system?

If not, get on board and join the rest of the world :smile:
    f6p6d3vgmpjw.jpeg
    Countries that aren’t metric.
  • JustSomeJD
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Are you pro metric system?

If not, get on board and join the rest of the world :smile:
    f6p6d3vgmpjw.jpeg
    Countries that aren’t metric.

No.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I prefer, the Imperial version but I do, like Stone! However why's a Stone specifically 14 Pounds, to me that's a Rock's weight; a Stone's more like a Pebble but Stonehenge's made via Boulders, which're like Rocks; to me but it isn't named: Boulderhenge or Rockhenge!

Also how does, 1 even state; the measurement? Is it:

10 Stone, 13.1 Pounds or 10 Stones, 13.1 Pounds? :/
  • JustSomeJD
    Options
    Tis way too complicated mixing units. Like Four score and 7 years ago...no Abe, it was simply 87 years ago. Stop trying to church it up.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    JustSomeJD wrote: »
    Tis way too complicated mixing units. Like Four score and 7 years ago...no Abe, it was simply 87 years ago. Stop trying to church it up.

I agree but sometimes, I like; mathematical challenges!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    BUT WHY?

@aeloine

You do understand that different countries use different weights and measures I hope?

A Brit used to stating their weight in stones and pounds has to convert when an American says their weight is 200lbs for example. Doesn't really require head scratching, just a small level of ability with mental maths or a calculator!

And a French person (or other users of the metric system including younger Brits perhaps) would typically convert body weight to kilos.

It's hardly unusual to have different "sizes" of measurements.
    Fluid ounces, pints and gallons for example for liquid measurements would all be familiar to you I'm sure.
    Exactly the same principle for stones and pounds, a big measurement and a smaller measurement.

@sijomial

Yes, I do. Having grown up in the metric system, I questioned the imperial system when I moved to America. Now, even the imperial system isn't set in stone (pun intended). Which is just mind blowing to me.

The Atlantic recently published an article on why America hasn't adopted the metric system and it's mind boggling. At the time of the Metric Act of 1866, industrial manufacturers pushed back, saying that they were already using the imperial system. NOW, it would be too expensive, as all road signs, public markers, etc. are not metric.

The Founding Fathers used (and even helped establish!) the metric system.

Still boggles my mind.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/06/why-the-metric-system-hasnt-failed-in-the-us/487040/