Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitbit calories burnt vs my fitness pal

Hi everyone
Jusy wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me
I just completed a 1.5 hour walk, according to my fitbit i burnt 800 cals on the walk but when i log onto my diary for my fitness pall it says i only burnt 480? My fitbit is connected to myfitness pal so id assume the calories would be the same on both platforms.
Tia

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    fitbit is notorious for overestimating the burn.

I have to wear mine on my nondominant hand and tell it that it's on the dominant one, then roughly halve those in terms of what I can eat back.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    clb195 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Jusy wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me
    I just completed a 1.5 hour walk, according to my fitbit i burnt 800 cals on the walk but when i log onto my diary for my fitness pall it says i only burnt 480? My fitbit is connected to myfitness pal so id assume the calories would be the same on both platforms.
    Tia

The math behind your adjustment can be found by:

Website- exercise diary, click the " i " next to Fitbit Calorie Adjustment

App- Scroll to bottom of diary and tap Fitbit Calorie Adjustment then tap Fitbit Calorie Adjustment again

It is important to remember that your Fitbit adjustment is an activity level adjustment. It considers more than just your exercise.

The math is:

Fitbit Total Calorie Burn - MFP selected activity level calorie burn = +/- adjustment
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    fitbit is notorious for overestimating the burn.

I have to wear mine on my nondominant hand and tell it that it's on the dominant one, then roughly halve those in terms of what I can eat back.

That actually varies person to person. I have used several models. Zip and Flex underestimated mine by 250 a day on average while Surge and Blaze generally work out to be 40 over or under (which could easily just be mistakes in my logging).
  • clb195
    clb195 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone!