Do I have to sacrifice protein for weight loss?

Options
I’m constantly moving because my job requires it. Until 2 weeks ago I enjoyed a fast food lifestyle. Funny how the things you love want to kill you :'( Anyway I’m trying to do all my food cooking at home and eat healthier. When I get home I dont want to workout, I want to relax.

How can I get more protein in my diet without consuming red meat or high cholesterol foods? Trying to avoid as much saturated fats and trans fats as i can too. A big goal is to lose weight around my waist. Food suggestions? I understand my diet choice might not seem like the most optimal for some but I really just need food guidance. Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein keep me satiated and keeping carbs in check has helped me lose 26+ lbs. YMMV
  • vivalavida82
    vivalavida82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, quinoa, tofu, Greek yogurt are all great sources of protein.
    Congrats on starting your healthy lifestyle.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    It's a Calorie Deficit that leads to weight loss, not a protein reduction. Just be sure to log your Calories In (from food) and your Calories Out (from exercise and other activity), and see what your numbers look like at the end of each day. Then adjust accordingly.
  • billym2018
    billym2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone thank you! I have had heart issues in the past and recently had chest pains that were tolerable. I plan to have my blood tested for possible issues but I want to start the fight sooner than later. I really appreciate the food suggestions. I have been eating skinless chicken and fish recently which is seeming like a difficult change. I am not used to eating fish and find the oily salmon to be kind of overwhelming. I want the omega 3s but that may not happen as often as I’d like. I like cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt so I’ll have to buy some. I want to try tofu. Any suggestions on preparation? I’ll have to be more mindful of protein in my diet. Thanks everyone :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd possibly pass on the tofu until your palate has adjusted to other textures and flavours you're not used to. It can be terrible if not done right.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eggs and beans are also good sources of protein.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also forgot, you can supplement your omegas if you really feel it's necessary. Salmon is disliked by a lot of people, it's one of the more "challenging" fish for non-fish eaters.
  • billym2018
    edited February 2018
    Options
    True, I’ll start simple and work into other food groups. I didn't expect it to taste like it did. I tried tilapia and catfish too. Those were fine for me.
  • CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, dairy...red meat is only one small part of where you can get protein from!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I adore salmon, never knew it was considered challenging. Trout is amazing too.

White fish seems pretty easy (cod, etc.). Shrimp (has cholesterol, but I don't think dietary cholesterol is an issue for most). Pre-roast a chicken or chicken breasts or buy rotisserie or make some skinless breasts or a turkey breast in a crock pot and have them on hand to shred and use.

Greek yogurt has lots of protein too.

Cook multiple meals at a time so you have leftovers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I echo the idea to bulk cook your protein sources especially if you are away from home a lot. Get some plastic boxes and set up a bunch of meals ahead of time.

This baked tofu is so easy and managed to convince hubby it’s edible. https://pin.it/kcatgagpuk65kq

Chilli can be made in bulk and reheats nicely.

Trans fats have virtually disappeared from our diets so no worries there.

Get those chest pains figured out.
  • billym2018
    Options
    I forgot about trout hmm good call. Yes I recently bought containers to do somewhat a meal prep. So far I’ve only prepped two meals ahead because I tend to want something different after that. Thank you all!
  • Linsyb101
    Linsyb101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Non fat Greek yogurt, edamame, beans, legumes, chicken is considered lean protein and you could use a plant based protein powder to kick up your protein levels. I use Vega.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m a variety girl too. You can freeze extras so in a few weeks you have a wide variety to choose from.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Keep the meals simple. You can pan fry fish in 10-15 minutes, make a salad in 5. Roast potatoes in the oven (cut up) orthe fastest , microwave a baked potato for 7 minutes. I can make rice in the rice cooker in 20 minutes without watching.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Others have covered the protein piece. I think cooking at home is great, meal prepping too. That said, you don’t have to cut out all fast food or convenience foods in order to be healthy. Lots of good choices at different fast food and fast casual places that can be an option for you if time is an issue or if you just enjoy it.

People that swing from extremes (all fast food to all homemade healthy food) often find those attempts unsustainable. Work to find a balance of foods you enjoy, that provide nutrition and satiety and fit your overall lifestyle. That’s the most important thing, in my opinion.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Definitely get those chest pains checked out. For fish, I don't like salmon so I eat orange roughy and sole or cod. They're lighter, and cook quickly. I mix a little Miracle Whip with some cumin and then coat in sesame cracker crumbs, 350 for about 12 minutes. Baby gold potatoes, spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, bake @350 for about 35 minutes until tender. After they've been in the oven for about 15 minutes, add some fresh green beans in the same pan (I use disposable pans so there's no clean up), also spray with olive oil and salt, they'll both be done at the same time.
    Breakfast is an egg, two pieces of fully cooked turkey bacon and a light english muffin, plenty of protein there. Lunch is usually thin turkey slices on bread with Trader Joe's roasted red pepper spread, a few baked Lay's chips and fruit.