Calorie Cycling?

Options
hannalunaa
hannalunaa Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi Everybody.. :]
So.. I am trying to maintain a weight of 109 lbs currently.
I am 5'6", and an 18 year old girl, which means my maintenance is 1549 cal per day.
I have been underrating for a very long time, about 1000 calories a day. [I now have started eating at 1549, don't worry!] Sometimes, I believe as a result of my recent long period of underrating, I just feel like I need to "binge". Usually this will be after going out partying and dancing or even sometimes randomly. However, I always still track everything I eat when I do decide to let go and "binge". The next day, I subtract whatever excess calories I have eaten from my intake for the following day to make up for it and be back at my planned calorie intake for the week. I realize this is not so healthy, as today I have only been able to have 500 calories because yesterday I went 1049 over my goal.
I have always done this whenever I eat in excess and it always allows me to maintain my weight and sometimes even drop more. Recently I read about calorie cycling.. so I have been thinking about doing something similar.. my question is...
Would taking 200 calories off of my intake from each of 5 days a week, adding up to 1000 calories uneaten, and then adding those 1000 uneaten calories to two other days of the week, in whatever ratio, have the same effect of maintenance as just eating at my maintenance [1549] every single day?
For example: [may vary]
Monday: 1349 cal
Tuesday: 1349 cal
Wednesday: 1349 cal
Thursday: 1349 cal
Friday: 2049 cal
Saturday: 1349 cal
Sunday: 1649

Or even:
Friday: 2549
Saturday: 1349
Sunday: 1349
Monday: 1349
Tuesday: 1349
Wednesday: 1349
Thursday: 1349

I hope you guys can understand what I am trying to ask. I am not sure exactly if this is how I would do it [ I might take off 300 each day instead of 200, add it differently, etc.] but basically my weekly calorie intake will be the same no matter what. I am just wondering if this will work and have the same results as eating my regular maintenance every day? I am just afraid to gain weight!! Okay, thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    That’s fine .. it still works, it’s exactly what I do. There is no way I could get through a weekend in 1530kcal ... so drop my midweek calories by 150 and have 375kcsl extra a day st the weekend ... that’s a bit of cake and a latte right there ... or a burger ... big glass of wine
  • hannalunaa
    hannalunaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 and @h1udd Thank you so much for your replies! Very helpful :]
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I do both calorie cycling and carb cycling along with OMAD for my maintenance plan.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Strong ditto to @PAV8888 since you are not sedentary, either with exercise, or perhaps not in daily life anyway without exercise.

Now, perhaps you intended to add exercise when done as extra calories.

Which means you are now doing it MFP style - so just do it instead of getting confused with weekly avg TDEE method.