Ways to find a gym buddy?

Options
I’m a big workout class lover at my gym but am interested in finding a gym buddy to go with and help with accountability. Any suggestions as to find one locally or shall I just keep smiling at others during/after classes to try and initiate socialization.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    go out of your comfort zone and talk to some people. No beter way to meet people to go to your gym with you thn meeting them at your gym :p
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm the LAST person to take social interaction tips from, but I'd go with the "keep smiling" option.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i had a few people take pitty on me and chat with me when i made a complete *kitten* out of myself in a step class :p Maybe patheticness makes friends LOL
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to build some friendships and get folks in the classes to open up but after some investment it worked. I did aerobic classes and spin with them and met up with them every week and would ask about them when they weren't there. It is tough but sometimes relying on a stranger to be accountable actually works.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Keep smiling at ppl. Go around same time every workout day if you can usually same ppl working out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Don’t ask me, I don’t know how to talk to people lol. My husband tries to help me with this and he says at the very least, just stand there and smile lol
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Depending on the environment you're in, try flattery! People like to be complimented. Plus if you pick someone that it's easy to compliment, you may also be picking someone who can teach you a thing or two. :)
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Today in spin class I talked to another woman but due to her work she isn’t regular... but hopefully I started something there! ;) I also did compliment another woman and grinned like an eager crazy kid to everyone I could!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker that works near my gym, so he moved his gym membership there so we could work out together. Since we have similar goals and the same trainer putting together our training plans (well, I recommended my trainer to him, so he went with that) it works out fairly well even though I'm a bit more advanced than him it's still nice to have someone there most of the time.

Then again, I'm prone to actually pushing myself harder when I'm by myself LOL
  • SpocksEyeshadow
    SpocksEyeshadow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your gym probably has classes - go to some, talk to people, and make friends!