No discipline!

Options
Everyday I try again, everyday by the end of the day I screw up. I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and the first thing I think of is I need to lose weight. I am constantly thinking about how I need to lose weight. I have tried small goals too. Nothing seems to be working. So frustrated. I pride myself in my discipline in other parts of my life but this is a different animal.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Here's a goal, log your intake. Don't make any changes, just log what you eat. You have to eat, right? When you are good at this, see if you can make any small changes. You can do this!

ETA. missed a word
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to reflect on what is really going on. What is causing you to derail? Food cravings? Lack of sleep? Depression? Low self esteem? No real plan other than I need to eat less?

Weight loss and gain can be complicated for some, it may not necessarily be just about food. For me it’s about having focused healthy meal plans with exercise goals while managing SAD and mild depression.

Only you can do this for yourself. Really think about why you are sabotaging yourself and then come up with a plan. You can do this.
  • coletammym
    coletammym Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start with one step at a time. It's not a race. Start with logging food, then eating proper nutritious food, then increase your physical activity. It's the small stuff that makes the big difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    histomom wrote: »
    Everyday I try again, everyday by the end of the day I screw up. I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and the first thing I think of is I need to lose weight. I am constantly thinking about how I need to lose weight. I have tried small goals too. Nothing seems to be working. So frustrated. I pride myself in my discipline in other parts of my life but this is a different animal.

in what way do you 'screw up'?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what many books try to tell us, you can't think yourself thin. Weight management is in its core only about eating appropriate calories over time - i.e. behavior. So exactly what are you trying to do - concretely? What happens that makes you say you screw up? Is there an avoidable reason you wake up and need to use the bathroom?
  • LDowning81
    LDowning81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    histomum, I could've written your post...I want to do it so much, and lose the weight and be more healthy...but then I get tired/bored and just reach for sugary snacks. I know I'm cheating myself but everyday after 4pm it seems to go to pot! I need to change things up and make sure I'm doing something else rewarding with my time around then as it's become a habit!

I'm also going to get booked in at the docs for a blood test as I am so so tired at around this time, even when I've had a healthy lunch, I'm struggling to make it through the day without a nap or a load of sugar!

Good luck with your journey :) no real advice, but sending support!
  • sjack44
    sjack44 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I am disciplined most of the day and in the late afternoon and evening I lose the plot and eat everything in sight. My main issue seems to be lack of sleep, when I get tired I have no willpower and it's difficult because we are a large family so there is always food available.
    All I can suggest is what I am doing which is to keep trying and take small steps. If you can't last a whole day then set your goal to maintain your discipline for the morning then slowly extend that over time, I have found that if I set myself a larger calorie goal even though it means a very small weight loss then I am more successful. I can't go below 1400 cals a day personally if I do I just blow it every day.
    Good luck and keep on trying :)
  • angelacooke18
    angelacooke18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Histomom - Are you incorporating any exercise? The biggest mistake we make is trying to change all things at once! One thing at a time. Master your discipline by establishing an exercise routine, and then incorporate your eating plan.
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What's causing you to screw up exactly?
  • histomom
    histomom Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I always screw up by the end of the day. No logging eating things I should not. I work kind of crazy hours up at 245am and back home around 1:30pm. With a hour commute both ways. I try and get at least 7 hours sleep. I do have to pick up my teenagers after school and come home and start on dinner. Trying to find time for excerise is tough.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    By the end of the day I don’t log and I eat something higher in calorie.

are you setting yourself too high a deficit?

try logging it before you eat it and see if you still want it then.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good thread.

Maybe silly sounding question but you say you don’t log and then eat something high in calories, is it the other way around? Do you eat something high cal, think I’ve messed it up, and then quit tracking?

As suggested, embrace the process. Crunch the numbers but embrace the process. Track no matter what, good, bad and ugly. It’s not possible to not make mistakes, but turning your back on your food diary is a deliberate act. The process is more important than the numbers.

Also wonder if you’ve got your calories set too low.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I always screw up by the end of the day. No logging eating things I should not. I work kind of crazy hours up at 245am and back home around 1:30pm. With a hour commute both ways. I try and get at least 7 hours sleep. I do have to pick up my teenagers after school and come home and start on dinner. Trying to find time for excerise is tough.

don't worry for now about exercise. weight loss is 100% from your calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why don't you log? Are you saying there are foods you shouldn't eat? Why? What are they? And if so, why is that food even available to you to eat?

Don't try to find time for exercise in a stressful day. If you want to exercise, but are short of time, make exercise part of your daily routine, and by that I mean: schedule exercise and other tasks, use downtime to exercise, and do functional exercise, find ways to use your body to do things you need to get done.
  • histomom
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My weekday schedule is kind of wacky. I get up at 2:45am I am home around 1:30pm. I have a 2 hour commute in total. I don’t eat breakfast until around 6:30 or 7am, lunch is anywhere around 1:30 to 3pm. Which depends if I have to run errands for the family or the time my kids get out of school. Dinner is around 5:30pm and then off to bed at 7am. I do have a Fitbit and log my steps. I do anywhere’s between 8,000 to 10,000. My problem time is when I either get stressed or when I am on my way home or when I get home. I just want to relax and have something to eat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you always had to get up to see in the middle of the night? That can be indicative of glucose/insulin issues, which in turn could make you feel hungry.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can you set up the crock pot before you go to work, or the night (day) before, so when you get home something you like is waiting for you? Tons of great recipes here and other places online.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It can be overwhelming, and trying to do it all at once is a recipe for failure.
    I suggest logging for a while, even before making any serious changes to your diet.
    Weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, and write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet". So when you backslide you won't drop everything at once, just one or two habits, that you can fix again more easily.
  • histomom
    Options
    All my blood work is fine. I did buy a instant pot which has helped with meal planning.

I cannot thank everyone enough for your insights. I am really taking in all your advice.

I know things have to change because I feel like I am just going in the same loop day after day. I have even tried to figure out why I do what I do.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    After work- that was a very challenging time for me. Things that helped me-

I just had to get out passed the vending machines. It wasn’t too bad because I wanted to get out. And there were no good choices there.

I could have better snacks in the car but didn’t as I figured this would just lead to more snacking at home anyway.

I was hungry during my hour commute. I told myself that it was only some temporary discomfort. And it was what weight loss felt like. Helped.

I had good snack choices at home and easy to get. Front of cabinet and fridge. Planned for
    in advance.

Some days I got into the house and just sat in a chair for a few minutes. Stopped me from charging into the kitchen to eat.