Is fiber included in carb count on this app?

Options
when imputting my food, my carb count seems high when I look at my daily nutrition/macros on this app. Does anyone know if fiber is counted into the carbs, it doesn't seem like it! Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It is for American entries (provided they were entered accurately). For international entries and any labeled net carbs, fiber isn't included.
  • yazzied2016
    yazzied2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm american, so just to clarify, when I enter my carbs , fiber is included- so it is not net carbs, correct?
  • SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    It doesn't deduct them or the sugar alcohol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm american, so just to clarify, when I enter my carbs , fiber is included- so it is not net carbs, correct?

Correct
  • yazzied2016
    yazzied2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

It depends on where the foods you log were entered from, but most entries are for US foods.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    most food show total carbs, but you can go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and change your view to show carbs and then show fiber in the next column, so you can subtract that out if you are only counting net carbs.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This seems like a genuine problem to me for people tracking carbs, but it isn't myfitnesspal's fault, it's because nutrition listing of carbs in the USA is fundamentally different from the rest of the world, so inescapably, the entries in the database end up inconsistent. I don't know what can be done about it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It is for American entries (provided they were entered accurately). For international entries and any labeled net carbs, fiber isn't included.

Unless you're an International who wants to track total carbs and changes all the entries to include fibre :D
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    and then there is a script to display net carbs if you've set myfitnesspal to display both carbs and fiber. search for keto, myfitnesspal, script.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If you are using information from the USDA or American labels, yes. If you are just choosing the first thing that comes up, it could not be accurate at all, who knows.

But yes, in US food labels and sources such as the USDA fiber is included in "carbs."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This seems like a genuine problem to me for people tracking carbs, but it isn't myfitnesspal's fault, it's because nutrition listing of carbs in the USA is fundamentally different from the rest of the world, so inescapably, the entries in the database end up inconsistent. I don't know what can be done about it.

It's not if you are careful about the entries you choose (which actually is something everyone should think about, so might be a benefit in forcing you to be choosy). I have definitely seen people from the UK talking about subtracting fiber [er, fibre], though, and if they were using mostly UK sources (or some), which I expect is common, they weren't counting right. But a "net carb counter" would, of course, have exacerbated the problem, not helped it.

Someone who wants net carbs and uses US information (which was me when I was counting carbs and doing LCHF) should also track fiber. The subtraction is about the easiest possible math to do in one's head, I never get why people care that it's not done for them.