Foods with little or no fat or sugar?

Options
Hey there everyone, I'm noticing that I'm not getting enough calories in a day because I keep running over the amount of fat/sugar or salt I can have in a day. Not sure what foods to eat? A google search told me protein and nuts but I'm already eating a lot of meat and the other options did not seem that appealing at all. Haha. Pasta might of been something else listed?
I also have to be careful because I cannot eat chewy foods often because of a TMJ disorder.
Any help is appreciated! It's a little confusing to me. Thanks!

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on calories first, then the most important macros (protein, fat, carbs in that order), and only then try to reach whatever micro-nutrient goals you have. Keep in mind, mfp isn't really going to be all that effective at micro training anyways, unless you stick exclusively to usda items in the database.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I was literally going to come in here and post pasta lol but you already did... rice, quinoa, etc. if you're looking for more easy calories. I agree with the above poster.... I don't pay much attention to macros and micros at the moment.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Unless you have any real medical issues that dictates otherwise, you can eat whatever you want. What's your calorie goal? What are your limits of fat, sugar and salt, and why?

I'd think you can cut anything into little pieces?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ice cream
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else who is suggesting not to worry about restricting your fat, sugar and salt etc unless a doctor has told you to do so. Eat what you always ate before but watch the portions. I think if you start worrying about macros when you don't need to it makes the weight loss journey more difficult.
  • DeadNoodle
    DeadNoodle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just experimenting on what helps and what doesn't. I've tried calorie counting in the past but it wasn't enough to really make a big difference, so just experimenting if the types of foods I like are the problems. But good to know I don't have to worry about it too much!
    The reason I can't eat chewy foods is because my TMJ joint is damaged (cartilage worn away) so I can't chew very much at all. Even small pieces of things can be too much depending on what it is or if it's a good or bad day for me. I was on a liquid only diet for a while because of it. Sometimes it gets inflamed and becomes very painful. So ye. That's the reason for that restriction.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    DeadNoodle wrote: »
    I'm just experimenting on what helps and what doesn't. I've tried calorie counting in the past but it wasn't enough to really make a big difference, so just experimenting if the types of foods I like are the problems. But good to know I don't have to worry about it too much!
    What do you mean by "help", "try", and "make a difference" in this context? You can't speed up weightloss. You have to have a sustained calorie deficit to lose weight. Correct logging eliminates any "type of food" problem, that's the whole idea behind calorie counting, you're not relying on eating or elimintaing certain foods to create a calorie deficit, you get it by eating less of whatever food you choose.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    DeadNoodle wrote: »
    The reason I can't eat chewy foods is because my TMJ joint is damaged (cartilage worn away) so I can't chew very much at all. Even small pieces of things can be too much depending on what it is or if it's a good or bad day for me. I was on a liquid only diet for a while because of it. Sometimes it gets inflamed and becomes very painful. So ye. That's the reason for that restriction.

what you eat has no bearing on weight loss. its all about calories. healthy foods are for health. a balanced diet is
    better but if you dont eat less than your body burns you wont lose weight. you can even get fat on healthy foods if you eat too many calories.if you were calorie counting in the past and it wasnt enough to make a difference something was off . we you weighing your food on a food scale? were you accurately doling out portions? did you use correct entries? how did you count calories?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To answer your initial question, all the lean proteins will be low in fat and sugar. I’ll try and think up some straight carbs that are free of sugar as well.

And non-chewy.

There are the foods that use artificial sweeteners.

There’s sugar free protein drinks.
    https://www.pureformulas.com/100-whey-protein-powder-sugar-free-chocolate-fudge-152-oz-by-biochem-sports.html?rrec=true

Sugar free jell-o.

Tofu.

Habra. http://recipes.yooj.me/habra-lean-meat-paste-for-kibbeh/

You might serve it on Rusk or Zwieback. Even though it is a hard cracker the cracker melts in your mouth.
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Spinach, Mushrooms, Pumpkin, Pasta, Potatoe, Cabbage, Lettuce, eggs, lean meat... you get the drift... All non chewy too (depends on how you cook the meat)..

Like previous posters have said, dont be overly concerned with whether or not things have fat and sugar in them... some fat and some sugar are completely normal, and food would taste bad without them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is high in protein and easy to chew. So are poached eggs.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    As a nurse would definitely suggest a soft or a blend diet.
    Certainly omelettes, poached eggs, mashed vegetables and gravy. Steamed baby spinach, steamed fish, corn and peas.
    Smoothies are a great option. Both fruit and green and loads of delicious soups. Add lentils, rice, quinoa, beans and chicken.
    Just use a blender to purée them. You can have a nutritious balanced diet with little planning and practice.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat what you love, only in small portions
  • everybodylovessarah
    Options
    thick soups would be a great option.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Allow healthy fats and eat avocados.