"Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst

Options
I'm a pretty typical woman who has tried most of the fad diets, exercises and done my time at the Y. Three kids later I can't blame them for the weight gain, I did it all before they were even born. Matter of fact my weight hasn't changed in 8-years... my oldest is 7. :(

Soo, I told a friend that a few years ago I stood in front of the pantry, after just having finished lunch, wanting a snack. I felt pretty defeated so I just asked God to 'fill me'. And He did. Before I could finish the story she excused herself, ran down the hall and came back with a book, "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst.

First chapter and I was hooked. For once someone wasn’t trying to tell me what foods will make me feel full; instead it was why I crave and can’t be satisfied… and how to become satisfied.
Some of my many, many, many favorite quotes from the book:

“Food is meant to be consumed by me for my benefit. Food is not meant to consume me to my detriment.”
“Given enough power, temptation will consume our thoughts, redirect our actions, and demand our worship.”
“But in that moment of temptation, I realized having a pity party was a clue I was relying on my own strength, a strength that has failed me before and would fail me again.”
“Pity parties are a cruel way to entertain, for they leave behind a deeper emptiness than we started with in the first place.”

This is not a diet book, matter of fact Lysa suggests finding a nutritionist or a eating plan that works for you and use this book as a way to answer some questions… like why that carrot cake and carrot stick won’t fill that God shaped hole.

Replies

• cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have heard nothing but good things about this book, and I have so wanted to get it. Thanks for posting.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girl! I LOVED this book!!!! In fact I am reading it again :bigsmile: It has so many real and powerful statements! I have recommended it to several friends :smile:
    Im so glad you've found this book and can enjoy it too :happy:
    Oh and I love the part when she talks about how she prayed for God to change the molecular structure of a Cheez-it to be that of a carrot- after all there both orange - LOL!! Ok so I have prayed that too :laugh:
    The part that hit me the hardest is when she was talking about in times of stress, chaos or trouble, do I turn to food or God? OUCH!! The truth hurts! But what an awesome book that speaks the hard truth and is so helpful at the same time :smile:
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm on chapter 4 of this book but might start over...I started it a while ago but now that I'm doing well again, I want to really make sure I'm keeping God at the center of my weight loss!
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    That sounds similar to a book that came out years ago called "Weigh Down" by Gwen shamblin. I am not sure why God is not an element of weight loss. He created us and knows us better than anyone. Good for you!!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    That sounds similar to a book that came out years ago called "Weigh Down" by Gwen shamblin. I am not sure why God is not an element of weight loss. He created us and knows us better than anyone. Good for you!!

I'll have to check that one out now. :)
  • euni2
    euni2 Posts: 27
    Options
    I aboslutely love the book Christine! I'm also re-reading it and check in on her web site, Proverbs31.org regularly. I've struggled with weight most of my adult life and have always felt like there was something missing in the equation, and I've finally figured out that it does need to be a "God" thing and not for vanity or selfish reasons. I'm an emotional eater, which causes me to binge at times, but I am slowly learning to listen to the Will of God and not myself.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just went on amazon and ordered the book and the work book.
  • shortmom5
    shortmom5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement this morning! You probably didn't know when you were typing your comments that someone would really need to hear your words today. I get the e-mails from Lysa daily and check out her website alot and guess I missed her info on this subject. Fairly new to MFP, is there a way we can encourge each other along this line? Thanks again all.