Hello All...any diabetics out there?

enidcv
enidcv Posts: 3
edited September 29 in Introduce Yourself
:smile: Just joined a few days ago...luv the features so far super ez....looking to get to a healthy weight in order to get diabetes under control.
Any other diabetics out there? If so I would love some feedback and tips!

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    There are a lot of us on here. You can view diaries and glean what you can from them.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Type 1
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    i'm type 2
  • dltang
    dltang Posts: 58 Member
    Type 2 here. My diabetes is from overweight and lack of exercise. When my doctor put me on Metformin she told me then, if I would lose the weight and exercise, I would most likely be able to stop taking the meds and control it with continued diet and exercise. So I have been a very good girl for some months now. I started losing weight before I started here on MFP. I have lost almost 30 pounds since I began this journey. I have been exercising regularly for 8 1/2 weeks now. For the past 4 days I have not taken my Metformin. I have been monitoring my Blood Sugar very closely and many times a day to make sure it is not out of whack. The highest it has been after a meal has been 165. I have been under 120 almost every time I take it now. My morning fasting Blood Sugar is between 99-109. I am going to continue to monitor this closely for a few more weeks. Then it will be time to go get some more lab work and check my A1C. I want to be medicine free. On a side note, I am currently off my blood pressure and cardiac meds now too. This is my lifestyle now, Healthy and Medicine free for LIfe.
  • timjcarter
    timjcarter Posts: 1 Member
    Yup. Lost nine pounds in seven weeks so far.
    Type I diabetic for 46 years.
    Fourty pounds to go.
    This works great.
  • just started today--was diagnosed as being diabetic 4 years ago. At first I did so well--my Dr was so proud of me, I lost 70 pounds by following teh diabetic diet I got from my mom--which I still swear by and would be willing to share with you if you want. Then I got skinnier, started dating someone who had no concept of a weight problem, and slowly fell away from making the healthy choices. Recently my thyroid dump me and my boyfirend and I have been digging myself out of that hole!

Think it is time to feel good again and be healthy! Let me know if you would be interested in keeping each other accountable and if you are interested in the diet guidlines for dieabetics put out by the Nebraska Diabetic something or the other.
  • Dwongfrank
    Dwongfrank Posts: 1 Member
    Interested in diabetic diet for hubby and I to follow. like others I have type 2 that doctor encourages me to loose 15-20 lbs however I am at a complete loss as to where to begin. Guess motivation is an issue -
  • Type 1 here
  • enidcv
    That is awesome...I was diagnosed about a year ago, i too was told it's a weight thing more than hereditary. My Dr. insisted on me not tracking my blood sugar rite away and i have since lost health insurance so I'm totaly oblivious on t what is or isn't normal. I only know wha I've researched on my own and what has been advised by my husband who is also a Type 2 diabetic. It's frustrating @ times but I try to maintain and watch out for signals my body sends out i'm more in tune with those now & try to avoid having them! I've been off the metformin for a few months now but that's more of a lack of insurance thing. But I have all faith that I will beat this and be able to loose and keep the weight off as well as the meds!

Keep me posted on ur progress! :wink:
  • enidcv
    Wow...I didn't think I'd get so many responses! lol! I'm very much interested in checking out the diet please send it to me whenever possible, thanks!
  • realirish
    realirish Posts: 4 Member
    Hi there! I'm a newbie and a diabetic. Keeping track of everything and being able to see the carbs I'm eating is such a great feature. Tips? Eat nothing white: sugar (or anything else ending in "ose"), pasta, rice, potatoes and bread. That's good for starters. I'd be happy to talk to others who are counting carbs.:laugh:
  • kristiejo24
    kristiejo24 Posts: 3 Member
    How does one view diaries and such to glean information? I am new to this whole thing and just recently joined. Was recently diagnosed and would welcome ANY advice or suggestions from folks out there.
  • renitaallen5
    renitaallen5 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I am a diabetic that is moving to an insulin pump. I have always count carbs but it will be more important as I get on the pump. Add me as a friend.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    I am a diabetic and a carb counter. Feel free to add me. :)
This discussion has been closed.