NSV - I can run

Options
I know it sounds really weird, but I could never run. I just could never feel comfortable, easy at it. I would watch people jogging and they looked so graceful like it was easy. For me, it felt so unnatural, it was actually a lot of work. But I would at least try every once in awhile when I would walk.

So I haven't been walking in awhile cause it's so darn hot outside, been doing my videos in the basement. But the other day I had injured my shoulder so I decided to go for a nice long walk. I figured what the heck, I'll jog for just a little....well, I kept going! I didn't like jog for a mile or anything, but I jogged 3 times as far as I have EVER in my life been able to jog. And I didn't stop there, I did a little recovery, then started again! So now I am excited to be walking/jogging again! I want to keep seeing how far I can keep going!!!! Yeah!!!

Replies

• cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's how I started. I had never been able to run. Not even in school. It was just uncomfortable and I couldn't breath when I did it. But after doing the P90X work outs for about 1 month I decided to try it. My goal was to run (jog) 1 mile and I did it. I've been at it for just over 1 month and I can now run (jog) for 3.5 miles without stopping. It's slow and probably painful to watch. But I don't care. I'm doing it. So you go girl and keep it up.
  • DK30096
    DK30096 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Keep it up!!! You'll go father every day you jog!! I was able to jog for an entire 40 minutes today! Two weeks ago I could only jog for 10 minutes then walk then jog again then walk. It's definatly an activity you can see results from!!! :-)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am with you - running has never been my thing - but I have had times where I kept at it and succeeded. I even experienced "runner's high" (yes, it does exist!). I jogged for about 45 minutes and suddenly felt INCREDIBLE, like I wanted to go for another 45. I stopped myself because I knew (1) I'd probably be hurting the next day (since prior to that I'd only been jogging for 20-30 minutes, max) and (2) I'd be disappointed and discouraged if, in my next run, I wasn't so enthusiastic.

It's just too darn hot out for me here - every day there is a heat index of 105-115 and thus a heat advisory - plus I'd have to bring my 6-month-old along, and I don't want to subject him to that heat for very long. Hopefully come September/October the mornings and evenings will start cooling down, and I can jog with him :)
  • bja1039
    bja1039 Posts: 9
    Options
    That's great! I am also not a runner, but I completed my first 5K in May and it felt great to know I could do it. Of course I didn't run the whole time, I had to have intervals of walking. But I signed up for another 5K in October with the goal of finishing faster this time. At some point you should think about signing up for a short race, it'll really boost your confidence! You'll get hooked and want to do more :smile:
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I never thought that I'd be able to run and then I did the C25K. It really is such an amazing feeling in being able to do it. Nice job and keep pushing yourself :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!