Anybody out there also struggling with binge eating?

Options
I want to lose weight but it’s really difficult when you don’t know when to stop eating.

Replies

• mirastarwalker
    mirastarwalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I tend to eat quickly so my body doesn't realize that it's full when it really is. I'm trying to get better at slowing down and taking my time when I eat.
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am obsessed with eating and always have been. Even times when I’m eating I think that I’m full but I have to finish what I’m eating and I still made room for pudding. It’s a lifelong issue so trying to get healthy is incredibly difficult. The last tine I actually lost weight my obsession was still there but it shifted to calorie counting and looking back I don’t know how I lived like that either. Hoping to find a happy medium this time.

I’ve always eaten a huge bowl of porridge for breakfast thinking it’ll fill me up but I realised yesterday that being full isn’t my problem, wanting to eat is, so I tried having half the portion I normally would and lots more snacks instead. It worked much better for me.

Make sure to get plenty of protein to feel fuller longer (I sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on soup for extra protein)
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I used to binge eat when I was 14-18. I just never knew when to stop eating! And I now have the problem nowadays where even if I'm full while eating a meal I'll still try and finish everything on my plate, all because I grew up in a house being told to finish everything on my plate.

It is difficult to overcome it. I have some days where I just can't stop eating, it's all I think about.

What I do is try to eat main meals a little bit slower and if you want to binge on something try and pick a healthier option/version of what it is you're wanting to eat. It's something that's helped me a little bit
  • Charlotte318
    Charlotte318 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do this more so when I'm tired which only makes the feeling worse.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight but it’s really difficult when you don’t know when to stop eating.
    I'm going to take this at face value. This is what we're using MFP for. Weigh and log - you can prelog - what you eat. When you've hit your calore target, stop.
  • buggsby83
    buggsby83 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* I've been slowly trying to relearn how to eat after a literal life time of binge eating episodes. I've done whole boxes of cereal, whole bags of oreo cookies, whole bags of York peppermint patties, two or three sandwiches along with an entire bag of popcorn or a box of wheat thins or a box of donuts an entire pizza and then being still HUNGRY??? afterwards just...

Yeah. I feel you.

It's a huge step to recognize that your eating habits are hurting you and that you're not okay with them going on anymore. It's also a really really good step to start tracking what you're eating! It's important to be honest with it though; if you binge make yourself log the entire thing, or at least whatever you can remember of it. (Sometimes I've had bad days in the middle of depressive episodes where I'd be grazing all day long in a haze and wouldn't have been able to tell you what I ate if my life depended on it.)

Things that have helped for me:
    Tracking my foods making me feel more accountable for what I'm putting in my mouth
    Replacing some of my "trigger" foods (that I'm more likely to eat mindlessly) with some lower calorie options
    Skinny pop popcorn! I swear by this stuff. Give it a shot. Helps when you just wanna EAT something and not think too much without totally blowing your calorie limit for the day.
    Getting my family involved so they can help to hide the high calorie foods or just stop buying them so much. (Hard to eat an entire pint of ice cream if you have to drive to the store to get it. I'm just too lazy for that!)

Also therapy. Since a big part of binge eating disorder is wrapped up in a lot of toxic emotions that got buried somewhere... Or at least that's my take on it...

Feel free to message/add me if you want. You can do this!
  • YogaMomma07
    YogaMomma07 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I’m a recovered bulimic but not have issues with binging (I’ve tried to totally let go of purging). I’m triggered most at night and when I’m bored!
  • jlouber
    jlouber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had to stop tracking for a while to deal with my binging. I am back to logging now that I feel more confident in my mental capacity to do this in a healthy way. I found a lot of success with the book Brain Over Binge.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've found eating enough calories has helped me sooooo much. I eat around 1400-1500 to lose 1 lb/ week. I basically sit alllll day too so I consider this "higher calories" for me. It's so much more enjoyable then 1200. 1200 would feel good for while but eventually it would end in bingeing. No point in doing low cal to lose faster if you can't lose the weight in the long term.
  • javba2
    javba2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do