Workout Suggestions for Home (HIIT + Weights circuit?)

Options
Hi all,

Just looking for some potential recommendations if anyone has them. My primary goal is to be lean and lose the fat, and I know this is primarily based on calorie deficit.

That being said, i'd like to find some sort of workout program that involves a bit of HIIT and weights...almost like a circuit. For instance, perhaps burpees, followed by small rest, followed by some sort of resistance exercise.

Anyway - I know the requirements are vague but just curious if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Maybe look on Pinterest
    FitnessBlender is another option
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1. What equipment do you have?

HIIT is a training protocol, not an exercise. It involves maximal or near maximal exertion for 15-60 seconds followed by a period of active rest with repetition.

P90X etc are advertised as HIIT... they aren't. Hill sprints can be HIIT, but not necessarily.

Practically, you should identify what your goals are and select a program to get there.

If you don't have any goals, then you should look for a General Fitness/GPP(General Physical Preparedness) program that will help you build the base you need to get to a place where you can identify or select more specific goals. For many people, GPP is an end to itself, and that's fine.
  • adam212121
    adam212121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

For equipment: I basically have a 12X14 room with gym floor, 2 benches, various free weight, squat/bench rack with pull up bars.

My goal is to lose fat and look leaner (not weak). I find I have a more "bulky" look in the shoulder/back/chest area but then I have the belly fat :). Ideally i'd still like to look strong (more in the arms) but have a lower body fat percentage.

Hope that helps a little more.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Assuming you want to put in the time you could run either the 7 or 9 week C25K program followed by backing off the running to 30-45 mins 2 days a week and slide into stronglifts or Starting Strength if you've got the equipment.

If you're already doing 3-4 days a week at 30-45 mins/2-4 miles then dive into the strength program.

Alternately you could try one of Pavel's Kettlebell programs for 12-18 weeks.

***the 7 week C25K program removes one rest day per week meaning instead of MWF every week or MThS or MWS, you run MWFSuTThSMWF etc*** It's great if you have a slightly more flexible schedule.
  • Linsyb101
    Linsyb101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Beach body has great HIT programs and they work. They cost money, but they are worth it.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I am lifting I prefer to do circuit training and I really like to use TABATA music. It has a timer with countdowns for starting and stopping. Its 20 seconds intense workout with a 10 second rest for 4 minutes. You can pick new workouts with every set or just use one for the entire 4 minutes. You don't have to spend a lot of money on equipment either your body is all the resistance you will need to get you started. I really like to use Olympic rings for pushups, pullups, dips, reverse grip pullups and many other workouts since they will require you keeping your core engaged the entire workout. Get creative so it keeps your body guessing. I like to plan my workouts right before I do them depending on how I am feeling to really shake things up. Don't be afraid to make your own equipment too. I took a old basketball and cut it open and packed it with sand from the beach. Then I wrapped it with an entire roll of duck tape. I use it for wall balls, over shoulder toss, front squats, and over head squats. I got two large tractor tires from a local shop for FREE. One is 250 pounds and the other is 450 pounds. You can flip them, use for leg presses, dead lifts, stack them for box jumps and get a sledge hammer to pound on them too. If you can weld or know someone who can weld you can easily make your own dumbbells or kettle bells from scrap metal. Me entire home gym cost under $100.00. Here is a pic of my 35 pound FREE dumbbell. Feel free to add me if you want some crazy workouts, need motivation or want some farm fresh recipes. I have an open journal and the fitness journey is always more fun with others.
    b4ewir46d5v6.jpg
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    YouTube 15day fitness challenge or hasfit they have a monthly workout calendar 5 day's on 2 days off each month is different workouts or usually no longer than 60min
  • starmist
    starmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try Zuzkalight.com She has short HIIT workouts which are very interesting, easy to follow but burns hellllllll a lot!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you have a healthy body weight range and are relatively new to lifting...

I would look into the compound training programs to develop strength first. And cardio or 5-10min bodyweight circuits on off days.
    After that you could train with complexes or circuits to help keep strength and build endurance. Whatever you do, enjoy it.

(Maybe add more protein if you have a healthy body weight.)