Frustrated to say the least

Options
Hi. I'm 46 years old and keep gaining weight no matter what I do. I quit smoking a year ago, had shoulder surgery back in July, and am in currently in menopause. UGH...I've put on over 30lbs in a year and I was already 20 lbs over weight to begin with. I am in physical therapy 2 days a week and I'm a secretary so I do a lot of sitting. 2 months ago I started back to the gym 3 days a week and have been dieting too. What am I doing wrong? :( Any suggestions or motivation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to consistently eat less. Go to setup, plot in your stats, and pick weightloss, if you haven't already. Eat the number of calories MFP suggests, every day. It's not very complicated.
  • topkat2012
    topkat2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the reply. I've done both of your suggestions. Only take in 1200 calories a day as MFP suggests and try to burn at least 320 calories with exercise as MFP suggests (usually its more). Again, thanks for the reply.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also to add, are you eating back exercise calories? (MFP is designed for that); did you correctly estimate your daily activity level (excluding purposeful exercise)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1200 calories? As others have said, how are you measuring those 1200 calories to ensure accuracy? How long since you started and last saw a loss? Have you just started/re-started exercise?
  • sssuscello
    sssuscello Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Topkat. I would suggest using a food scale and measuring cups to weight your food. I find just eyeballing things or using a small spoon as a teaspoon can throw things off. Also, it an take time. It’s a journey not a race. When I let go of what Ing my body a certain way by a certain time it made everything easier. It because how I lived my life not what I was working toward. Just measure your food. Log and track. And just live life. The weight will come off, sometimes it just take alittle time for our bodies to make the adjustments. Don’t live by the weight on your scale. Take progress photos. Sometimes our bodys are changing but the scale doesn’t budge. I hope that helps :)
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How do you know your in menopause ? Even blood tests don’t show a definite menopause lady.

If your honestly weighing all solid food on a digital scale and measuring all liquids in a measuring jug
    Tracking every single teeny thing you eat and drink down regligiouly you need to seek medical attention as you’d lose weight on that amount calories ?
    Exercise calories are never easy to detriment I’d find your weightloss calories and not eat exercise calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? How are you measuring your portion sizes?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings