State of Mind

Options
As I continue my weight loss journey, here I am at 65 days, and I have been wondering something. I have always been fat. All my life I have been the big girl and I have allowed myself to become bigger and bigger to the point I need to lose like 200 lbs. Everything I do and everywhere I go, the same things run through my mind; will the chairs have arms? are the chairs sturdy? are there alot of people? will they stare? I can't go to concerts because of the size of the seats. I know that, so I don't even try. I can't go to amusement parks. I can't sit in booths at restaurants. I can't buy clothes in the stores. These are all things that I know and have gotten used to over the years and have accepted.

When I begin to lose the weight, which I already have lost a little....I can totally see myself going back to that old way of thinking. Will I always see myself as that big girl? Will I think, oh wait, I CAN go to that restaurant, I CAN sit in that booth....I know it will take awhile. I have trained myself this way for over 30 years.

Has anyone out there lost a bunch of weight and had to completely change their state of mind?

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I was at 317, I worried about all those things! Once I lost 50 pounds or so, I started noticing changes in my everyday stuff that led me to try other things I thought I was too big for. I noticed my seatbelt in the car had more room and I could reach everything better. As I lost more, I noticed chairs getting bigger and I even dared to sit on a folding chair after I lost about 80 pounds. There are still things I won't try to do but as time goes by, more things seem possible and I find that they are! Give it time and you'll find you WILL fit where you didn't before. Its a great feeling! It seems my mind is changing along with my weight. I hope your mind will let you do the things you want to.

Kathy
  • Jenniferhargrave
    Options
    Although I don't have as big a goal as you do I understand your pain.
    I recently went to a wedding and the dress that I bought I thought I looked good in at the store. Well I was looking thru the pictures from the wedding and I still see the Heavy me before I lost almost 60 lbs. I also find myself going to the "fat" clothes in the stores if I am there to buy for myself. This HAS lessened for me over the last month or so. And it is for this reason only that I think over time you will see yourself the same as everyone else does. Don't give up. Having a good support system is key. That and when you see people that you don't see often notice that you have lost weight also helps that state of mind go away. Just know that this "state of mind" won't go away over night. I am currently in Month 15 of my weight loss program and still battle with it.
    Keep your chin up!! :)